PDA

View Full Version : Trailer weight capacity

ztoro
03-21-2005, 04:31 PM
I am looking at a 6'4" by 14' foot single axle trailer. The weight limit is about 2400 pounds. The 2 mowers I will be towing are about 2100 pounds max. Do you think I am cutting it to close to the weight limit.. All my props are within 2 miles of home base.. The trailer will cost 1209... to go with a 6'4"x16' will cost about 1950. I would rather save the extra greenbacks if I can.....

jimslawns
03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Is it an open or enclosed, and I gather it is a 3500 lbs. axle? What else are you hauling on your trailer?

ztoro
03-21-2005, 05:54 PM
its open. Maybe a blower and a trimmer... that stuff could go in the bed as well..

jimslawns
03-21-2005, 06:18 PM
Awwww the age old question, and Yes the
Answer is Bigger is better, Easier to pull, significantly more capacity, most likely comes with brakes. And a little more cushion for a few of those extras.

Spend now.... or spend more later. The prices will only increase. If you can swing it go for the Larger trailer.

ztoro
03-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Awwww the age old question, and Yes the
Answer is Bigger is better, Easier to pull, significantly more capacity, most likely comes with brakes. And a little more cushion for a few of those extras.

Spend now.... or spend more later. The prices will only increase. If you can swing it go for the Larger trailer.

I live in a new large development. I could basically drive the z to all my clients... I really dont need a trailer but figured it would help to have the bare minimun.. I just sold a practically new 18 foot enclosed because it was uneeded...

My question is more if the 14 footer could handle it... I dont want to load it right up to the max if it will cause issues...

jimslawns
03-21-2005, 08:00 PM
a single axle with that much weight could get squirlly at highway speeds, if you are pulling it a highway speed I would definetly get the 16. The weight is an issue, but the handling could be dangerous.

YardPro
03-22-2005, 08:44 AM
go tandem

it is well worth the extra money. something like a trailer is not where you should scrimp. it carries all your stuff. tandem axles are always better. they are safer in case of a flat, they tow better, and will allow you to expand your businedd and carry heavier weights if you need to.

green814
03-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Ztoro
I would get a tandem if possible. Where do you live? I have found a couple places in Mi that you can get a 14 or 16 ft. for $1000 to about $1300, both tandem axle.
Chris

ztoro
03-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Ztoro
I would get a tandem if possible. Where do you live? I have found a couple places in Mi that you can get a 14 or 16 ft. for $1000 to about $1300, both tandem axle.
Chris

in NJ...

Prices are way high around here for tandems...

grass_cuttin_fool
03-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Just my 2 cents here, My main concern would be in stopping the trailer. Most single axles dont have brakes. Since you had the enclosed trailer I presume you had a brake control allready mounted on the tow vechile. I would check in to getting the trailer with brakes on it and then compare the price single axle vs tandem and see how much difference in $$$$$ it is then.