PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of bamboo

j9sheldon
03-21-2005, 06:14 PM
I have a client who wants alot of bamboo removed. Just wanted to get some ideas on how you all get it out. Any replies are appreciated.

thanks

65hoss
03-21-2005, 06:42 PM
Dynamite...nope, it will still come back.

Digging it out and getting EVERY SINGLE ROOT is the only way. Regardless of some peoples thinking, roundup and other chemicals will not stop it longterm. I would sue the first neighbor that tried to plant that stuff anywhere near my property.

lawnboy30
03-21-2005, 07:23 PM
Tell the guy or gal to move. Bamboo is one hell of a strong weed. If you choose to excavate the entire area and you leave 1 piece of root ball, (shute) then you will have bamboo back again.

By the way, don't even waste your time with Round-up. I would say to dig it all out and make sure to include on your contract to the customer that it will be prone to come back again and agaian and again.

Which reminds me I need to call my customer back from last year and schedule a bamboo removal again this year. It is nice residual payment.

Good luck..

polecat63
03-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Just one thing will get rid of bamboo...NAPALM

Grandview
03-22-2005, 08:48 AM
I have some experience with something similar to bamboo. We may be even talking about the same stuff. I gotten good control with Triplett, Roundup, and Confront applied around Labor Day. Woody plants are best controlled with herbicide applications late summer/early fall. This is the time they translocate to the root system. You may have to adjust your time of application back a couple of weeks since you are in Texas. Call a local Chem rep. They may have a good idea on timing. Here the best window of opportunity is probably Aug 20th to Sept 10th. Roundup alone probably will do little. It is not a good brush killer. Confront or Crossbow are excellent products. You may have to make an application or two this summer to satisfy your customer. I made one application to some Bamboo in late August a couple years ago. It did not come back. When I sprayed this same bamboo stuff in spring and summer it comes back.

lawnboy30
03-22-2005, 09:08 AM
If Round-up is keping them at bay it is not Bamboo.

old dog
03-22-2005, 08:58 PM
Try Crossbow-several applications when new growth forms.But be licensed and follow label directions.It will take time to eradicate,but it can be done.If you are not licensed,
check your yellow pages and subcontract to a professional.

richallseasons
03-22-2005, 11:11 PM
dig a trench around the entire stand and fill it with concrete :cool2:

Garth
03-23-2005, 05:40 PM
I have a client who wants alot of bamboo removed. Just wanted to get some ideas on how you all get it out. Any replies are appreciated.

thanks
If new shoots of bamboo are coming up all over your yard, it is a running bamboo. To get rid of it, there are four steps:

Cut it off.
Cut it down.
Water the area.
Cut it down again.
1. Cut it off. All of the culms (stalks) of bamboo in a clump or grove are interconnected underground by rhizomes (underground stems) unless you have cut them by digging a ditch or cutting a line with a spade. A bamboo grove is usually one single plant, not a group of plants. Many people have the impression that every bamboo culm is a separate “tree.”

If the bamboo in your yard has come across from your neighbor’s yard, separate your grove from his by cutting the connecting rhizomes, which are usually quite shallow. If you don’t, and his part is healthy and vigorous, the rhizomes in your part will still be supported by the photosynthesis in the leaves of his part, and your efforts will be in vain. On the other hand, if you do manage to kill your part with a herbicide you may also kill his part. Lawsuits or at least hard feelings can result.

Therefore, be sure to isolate the portion you want to keep from the portion you want to kill. Cutting rhizomes with a spade or a saw will do the trick if you do it every year. If the growth is old, you may need to use a mattock or a digging bar the first time. Digging a ditch and putting in a barrier* is a more permanent solution.

2. Cut it down

Cut the grove to the ground. All of it. If there is any part you want to keep, see (1).

3. Water and fertilize the area, to cause new growth.

4. Cut it down again. And again.

New shoots will come up from the rhizomes. Break them off or cut them off with pruning shears. Keep doing this until no more shoots come up. This will exhaust the energy stored in the rhizomes underground. Without green leaves to photosynthesize and produce new energy, they will no longer be able to send up new shoots. The rhizomes will be left behind, but will rot away.

That’s all you need to do. You need a saw, a pair of pruning shears, and patience, and maybe a spade and/or mattock. The widely advertised herbicides don’t work well on bamboo, probably because so much of the plant is underground. Since cutting the bamboo down will do the trick, and you have to cut the bamboo down anyway to remove it from your yard, herbicides are a waste of time and money in this case.The running bamboos( Chimonobambusa, Indocalamus, Phyllostachys, Pleioblastus, Pseudosasa, Sasa, Semiarundinaria, and Shibataea) can send up rhizomes 20' or more from the original parent plants. In clumping bamboos( Bambusa, Chusquea, Drepanostachyum, Fargesia, Otatea) rhizomes go a very short distance before rising to the surface. These form clumps that expand from the edges. I hope this helps and good luck.

* I cut the bottom out of an old 32 or 44 gallon plastic trash can and place it in the hole. I fill it so that the rim is barely visible at the soil's surface and plant the bamboo inside. As plastic doesn't rot it is very effective at keeping the rhizomes contained.

LB1234
03-23-2005, 05:49 PM
dig a trench around the entire stand and fill it with concrete :cool2:

and how does it get rid of it...seems like it would contain it

Alan Oncken
03-26-2005, 08:55 AM
My friend bought some property some years ago with almost 1/14 acre of bamboo. He sold the crop and the buyers did all the work.