PDA

View Full Version : Backyard renovation

Gilla Gorilla
03-21-2005, 06:47 PM
I have a customer that I am renovating their backyard. They built the house last summer and the very back section of the yard was just overgrown and had very little grass mixed in with the brush. I went there last week and cut it down to 3.5". They also want 10 yards of Orgro compost brought in and spread over the existing soil before I spread the grass seed in a couple weeks once the ground temps warm up enough.

My question is should I cut the existing grass and brush down to about 1.5" to 2" get someone to come in and spray killer over the entire area, wait a week spread the compost then use my cultivator attachment to till and create the seed bed. Or should I cut it down lower, have someone come and spray the killer, wait a week, till the area and then spread the compost.

I'm thinking that the first route would be better since the compost would be mixed in with the existing soil better.

What do you all think?

Old Red
03-21-2005, 08:00 PM
Yup, I think you're right to mix in the compost.

DowntoEarthLLC
03-21-2005, 11:07 PM
plan A......

there has got to be grass blades on the grass so the round-up or whatever he uses can be absorbed by the plant. If you scalp the grass then spray.... the plant doesnt absorb the roundup as well to kill the roots.....

2 cents.

sheshovel
03-22-2005, 11:29 AM
There is very little grass then remove it completely,forget the killer and add a weed and seed to your grass seed after bringing in the compost and tilling it in and raking out any debri from the old stuff.