PDA

View Full Version : getting rid of fragmite

bigviclbi
03-21-2005, 08:49 PM
How can I get rid of them. i want to plant a bed for a customer but fragmites are present. Can I lay down a double layer of typar(heavy duty landscape fabric) or will they come through that?

Kate Butler
03-21-2005, 09:28 PM
You could put down 6 layers of Typar and phragmites would still come up through it. Herbicide, herbicide, herbicide. If you're not licensed, hire someone who is - it'll be worth it. It can be dug out, but we're talking serious manual labor to do it. For the best kill get it good and early in the growing season - then nuke it. If it's already getting big, cut it to about a foot, wait a couple of weeks for the new (think "young and susceptible to herbicide") growth and nuke it. You may have to do this more than once as they're sometimes capable of coming up after being herbicided (good root reserves). Be certain you've gotten rid of it all before you plant the area: a single living root can regrow and eventually become a problem later.

bigviclbi
03-22-2005, 12:25 AM
This is the problem. the beds my customer wants to plant is about ten feet from an empty lot full of fragmites. So I think they'll just spread unless I put down something to stop them from coming up. I'm thinking about putting down a base of aggragate like I do for pavers.No way they'll break through that?

polecat63
03-22-2005, 08:14 AM
This might work for you.
http://www.deeproot.com/

AGLA
03-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Be careful to make sure that you are not violating any wetlands regulations. My area has very aggressive wetlands regulations and phragmites is not usually high and dry.