PDA

View Full Version : Pruning Overgrown Rhodedendrums

Coach Tim
03-21-2005, 09:24 PM
I have a customer who wants me to cut back some enormous Rhododendrons. They are about 15 feet high and he wants me to cut about 5 feet or so off of them.
Will they be able to survive this harsh of a pruning? Any suggestions or tips to insure they survive?

I also have two dwarf blue spruce trees that need to come out stump and all.
They have really thick trunks (about a foot wide), any suggestions on how to get these out of the ground. They are about 5 feet tall. I was thinking about chaining them to my F-250 and ripping them out of the ground.

Thanks for any help.

BCSteel
03-21-2005, 11:14 PM
I've pruned rhodos from 10' down to under 3' and they always came back. They will look like a coat rack for a few weeks until they start to leaf out but they should be just fine. If you do them early enough in the year, you will still get blooms for next year too.

As for the spruces, I'd do as you suggested and pull them out with your truck. Far less work than trying to dig them up.

Coffeecraver
03-22-2005, 07:25 AM
Take no more than 25% off them in one season.

General rule of thumb.

:)

John Gamba
03-22-2005, 08:16 AM
I have cut them to a stump and they have come back. It will take longer :waving:
John

Coffeecraver
03-22-2005, 05:18 PM
You may have cut them to the stump before and they came back but that dosn't mean you pruned them correctly.

:rolleyes:

John Gamba
03-22-2005, 05:30 PM
You may have cut them to the stump before and they came back but that dosn't mean you pruned them correctly.

:rolleyes:

I wanted to get rid of it. :rolleyes:
John

launboy
03-22-2005, 07:13 PM
better not trim them till after they bloom out at the end of spring

Coach Tim
03-23-2005, 07:18 PM
better not trim them till after they bloom out at the end of spring
If I trim them back before they bloom will it risk them not surviving or just not flowering this season?
Thanks,
Tim

BCSteel
03-23-2005, 08:05 PM
Just not flowering, they will be fine when you prune them.

LB1234
03-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Had this same question last year...overgrown rhody's and cutting them back. Went to the nursery we use. He said you would do selective pruning on the rhody but take no more than 1/3 of the stem/s back every year after they are done flowering...I guess if you don't care whether or not they bloom then do it now...otherwise wait a few weeks.

Anyway, after one season, it has gotten 1/3 smaller (although did grow a little after I cut it) and I plan on cutting back another 1/3 this year. Seems to be working fine, showed no signs of trouble last year or this year.

launboy
03-24-2005, 06:51 PM
prune after they bloom in late spring early summer, if you prune before they bloom you will have no blooms. buds grow on last seasons wood.now is not the time to prune them

David Grass
03-24-2005, 08:05 PM
It depends on what they want, if they have grown in a manner that is condusive to complete redo, we have cut them down to 8 inches, which is getting rid of them for several seasons, but they come back in a magnificent smaller shrub. One job we did in Biltmore forest, we cut them all back that far, dug them up and healed them in for a year, then replanted around the house, and they look great. I am just letting you know, they can take severe pruning, but the homeowner needs to know what the long term plan is.