PDA

View Full Version : How much would you charge for a job this big?

mimistg4u
03-21-2005, 09:30 PM
I got a call from a local mall and they asked me to put in a bid to lay down and spread 850 yards of mulch. What will it take to do a job this big? Is it worth it to subcontract another landscaper to do this job? Would you need a bark blower to do something like this? If I don't have one, then what would I do to spread the mulch?

Kate Butler
03-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Absolutely sub it out!!! Be on site when it's being done.....watch and learn.....then take the next one on yourself with a rented blower-rig.

Groundcover Solutions
03-21-2005, 10:41 PM
www.mulchblowing.com You can find a local blower truck company in your area. They should be able to give a some more info and a price.

Andyinchville
03-27-2005, 12:23 AM
I'd do alot of reading on this site and bid it....you can always rent a skid steer or heck a job that big may help to substantially pay for a used skid steer!.....one thing I have learned tho is that they probably expect a low price with such a big job...As an example....I bid an association project of 26 houses for mowing....I bid $19 per lawn (2 guys could do it in 1 good day)....I thought I was low but wanted the job.....Turns out I was high bidder out of the 7 that was asked to bid!!! Good luck!....I suppose if you don't get it you could see how the person who does get it does it and rebid next time around.

Groundcover Solutions
03-27-2005, 02:33 AM
I still highly recommend looking into a blower company they can save you alot of money especially on such a large job. I am sure they can work out a good price I would conceder installing at 21 per yard plus the price of mulch. This includes clean up and everything. This way you don't lift a finger and the job gets done in just a couple of days rather than weeks. Another plus is there is no mulch sitting around just keeps things neater with much less disturbance to the area while it is being mulched.

TJLANDS
03-27-2005, 10:06 AM
850 sounds like alot of mulch. (2 acres) but it is probably easy.
Malls are made up of mostly islands in the parking lots. Bid it high
and explain your price with traffic issues etc. Then do it at night when the mall is closed. Alot easier and faster. Two tractors and a small crew could
do it in two or three nights. We do some malls I thought were big with 150-
180 yards, 850 is huge.

Craftybigdog
03-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Wow 850X 75.00= $63750.00 Cha ching do it yourself.

GrassGirl
03-27-2005, 11:05 PM
We are located near you and would be able to do your install for $29.00 per yard for Hardwood Mulch. For more info call us at 866 Mr. Mulch or check out our website at www.mulchexpressusa.com

Thanks,

Chris

YardPro
03-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Wow 850X 75.00= $63750.00 Cha ching do it yourself.

you'll NEVER get the job bidding it at $75.00/ yard...NEVER.......

large gobs have smaller margins. i'll bet the winning biddet is 1/2 of that price or less.

i would never consider doing that job myself.

sub it out to a blower, and i will guarantee that you will make more money than if you did it yourself. if you already have work lined up, then the profit from this job will just be gravey.

also as someone suggeted, working at night would ne the way to go , BUT
it's a real hassle for scheduling. Try and get a crew of guys to work several nights in a row. and then what do you do about the daytime work you have??

what if something breaks, or you need anything?? everywhere is closed.....

Mo Green
03-28-2005, 10:33 AM
We are located near you and would be able to do your install for $29.00 per yard for Hardwood Mulch. For more info call us at 866 Mr. Mulch or check out our website at www.mulchexpressusa.com

Thanks,

Chris
Pay these guys $29 per yard and add on $5 a yard for yourself. They do all the work and you make $4250 for yourself.

Craftybigdog
03-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Dont say never, its all about selling a fan to an eskimo!