PDA

View Full Version : Re-Mulching/Fabric

zinkjo
03-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Doing an estimate for a fairly large "bed mulching" (775 sq ft).
The bed is already established with a multitude of different plants and has some varying degrees of weed problems. The customer has asked for a price on removing the existing bark mulch and replacing with a compost mulch.
They also want the landscape cloth put down first.
I'm not a big fan of the cloth, but how can I convince them that weeds will not be a problem?

Groundcover Solutions
03-22-2005, 02:45 AM
Hey even though it is not great stuff and realy dose not work that great. If they realy want it put it down and charge for it! Also put down some preen that will help keep the weeds down you can also make this a folow up service to keep the weeds down.

lawnwerx1234
03-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Do Not use the fabric! Only under rocks.

zinkjo
03-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Is preen worth it? Is it safe to apply to a bed with existing plants/shrubs/etc..?
Is it liquid or granular?

zinkjo
03-22-2005, 11:15 PM
Couple of more questions:
1) There is currently some bark mulch in the beds. I want to replace with the black/compost like mulch. Can I just put it over the top of the bark mulch?
2) The beds come out to 775 sq. feet. I am calculating 8 yards of mulch needed for a 3" layer. Does that sound right?

lawnwerx1234
03-23-2005, 12:07 AM
Couple of more questions:
1) There is currently some bark mulch in the beds. I want to replace with the black/compost like mulch. Can I just put it over the top of the bark mulch?
2) The beds come out to 775 sq. feet. I am calculating 8 yards of mulch needed for a 3" layer. Does that sound right?

Throw it over the top, if there is no existing fabric underneath then it will just decompose. 7.17 yards of mulch.........

D Felix
03-23-2005, 06:28 PM
If you don't know what Preen is, you probably are legal to apply it....

Don't use fabric under anything other than rock. When fabric is put down under anything organic, the mulch will decompose on top of the fabric and will not incorporate into the soil, thus you will have a build-up of the mulch/compost over time that will exceed the rate of the same work without fabric. PLUS there will always (from day ONE) be weed seeds that will blown in and germinate on the ORGANIC mulch. Don't do it.

I'd use bark mulch instead of a compost. You'll have less problems that way.

If the clients don't want weeds anywhere, tell them to call the local redi-mix company and start paving. That'll hold the weeds down for a year or so.....:rolleyes:

Dan

mommacutz
03-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Hey go to www.soilbuildingsystems.com/CubicYard.php its a great tool til you learn how to eyeball it.

D Felix
03-27-2005, 09:02 AM
If you don't know what Preen is, you probably are legal to apply it....WHOOOPS!!!!

It took me a week to find this typo, it should have said, "If you don't know what Preen is, you probably ARE NOT legal to apply it...."

Sorry for any confusion.:)

Dan

YardPro
03-28-2005, 10:07 AM
preen is trifluran pre emergent. it is sold at the mass merchants like lowe's

it is illegal to apply for customers without a liscense.

TJLANDS
03-28-2005, 03:06 PM
For those of you that dont know Preen is just an expensive way of buying
Treflan. Just go to your local Fertilizer dealer such as Lesco and ask for it.
A 40 pound bag goes for about $40.00 about half the price of Preen

Coffeecraver
03-28-2005, 03:17 PM
I would not use the fabric, But if your client insisted upon it I would
keep in mind the following:

Weeds grow on top of fabric
Round-up is a good maintenance plan
After about 3 yrs the fabric will be of no use and it will be a nightmare
to remove it.
Without fabric the ground can still be cultivated

Preparing for the fabric and installing the fabric is an Extra Charge

8 yards installed would be 520.00 includes the mulch