PDA

View Full Version : Paver base (wash out)

scraper69
03-22-2005, 06:44 AM
Ok .. last summer we had installed some pavers (a walk on both sides of house (one leads to porch other to back yd.) and then in between about a 10x15' area in front of garage door.- part of driveway. Well was at the neighbors house to bid and looked over and noticed the walk to back yard was settling... ? her downspout is pouring right on top of the pavers and looks like they are sinking. We put in a heavy heavy base on this job - due to the fact the area was once a swamp area or river many many years ago.
But now it kind a look like sh*t, no call or complaint yet.. but sure its coming
I know we should have ran drain under walk to avoid excess water.but didnt
also notice (remember in mich concrete heaves and settles with the frost.. but the concrete area before the pavers on driveway is higher than pavers now. I am sure this will settle soon as frost leaves, and also this customer drives only on one side of drive to enter garage and somewhat looks like the area where tires run, are settleing as well, ( like a small rut) not really noticeable- but i notice everything. What the F. I worked on this project with crew and know what kinda base and excavation we did,, why is this goin on. Mich ground does suck! worst ever for roads, concrete and anything.. but i think if its installed solid it should withstand. Any suggestions or comments.?

sheshovel
03-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Yes your right it should withstand,so what's that tell ya??It tells ya to take care of the problem before the client complains about it,most likely your base was not compacted properlyAlso ,You Knew better than to allow a downspout to pour on it and could you have re- routed or put a drainline hooked to the spout under the area?Yes and you knew that too.So re-do it right and chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way.No offence intended

hosejockey2002
03-22-2005, 10:11 AM
I'm definitely not the expert on this, but it sounds like water is getting into the base and freezing and thawing, disrupting the base. You mentioned that the area used to be a swamp. Did you dig down to firm compactable ground before you set the base? This sounds like one of those areas that needed to be overdug. Do a search on "overdig" and you can read all about it. You may not like what you read (especially if you end up redoing the job) but in my uneducated opinion it sounds like that's you will have to do.

scraper69
03-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Yea we overdug. about 14" it was bad ground. But still not good

mbella
03-22-2005, 08:05 PM
Scraper, what did the soil look like at 14"?

Masonman
03-22-2005, 08:32 PM
Yea we overdug. about 14" it was bad ground. But still not good

Hopefully you hit some solid subsoil, if not, it will sink or shift still. I am working on a job now, where it took me excavating nearly 3 feet before hitting decent subsoil. A jumping jack did nothing on my attempts to stablize it before digging to that depth.

The water spout is probably your major culprit. Usually every paver job I do, I end up rerouting downspouts extensions. Many times I end up putting them underneath the pavers and exiting somwhere on the surface in the yard. Other times I build a drain system underground composed of 2B's, perforated pipe, etc...

scraper69
03-23-2005, 06:54 AM
At 14" the ground was not that great but somewhat compactable. And yes the downspout is the major culprit I think.. You know when we installed this job, it didnt stand out, It was hidden behind some shrubbery and didnt really see it. Now i realize it needs to be buried under walk area.
Damn i hate re working my work.>>
But obviously it bothers me more than the customer. She hasnt called yet
I am obsessive like this.. if one brick is out of place, I need to fix it

NickN
03-23-2005, 07:55 AM
Repair it now.Tell the customer you noticed the problem and you're going to take care of it.They'll love it.It's called customer service and it will mean even more to them when you take action instead of waiting for them to call.

S&RGreenleaf
03-23-2005, 09:19 AM
Definitely repair it right away, because if you can see it and your doing the neighbor's quote, they will see it eventually and that might mean problems for you in the future. Plus that fact that people look to you to take care of them no matter the cost and you might see results in the future.

earthtool
03-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Yes your right it should withstand,so what's that tell ya??It tells ya to take care of the problem before the client complains about it,most likely your base was not compacted properlyAlso ,You Knew better than to allow a downspout to pour on it and could you have re- routed or put a drainline hooked to the spout under the area?Yes and you knew that too.So re-do it right and chalk it up to a lesson learned the hard way.No offence intendedHow could anyone say it better!

sheshovel
03-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks earthtool