PDA

View Full Version : What would you plant?

o-so-n-so
03-22-2005, 12:44 PM
I have a customer that wants a visual blind between her property and the neighbor.

Conditions on one location is minimal sun (2 - 3 hours max a day). Wants something that will flower, evergreen, make a natural blind and grow about 10-12' tall.

Second location is same as above with about 6 hours of sun.

I'm in Zone 7a..b and soil condition is rich, well drained.

Camellia is what i was going with but i cant find any mature (5' to6') plants in red flower.

Help me out with you suggestions...

vharrison2
03-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Gosh, down here we would use Areca Palms, but we are in zone 11

KCLandscape
03-22-2005, 01:10 PM
#1 - Viburnum might work
#2 - Junipers or any type of evergreen?

polecat63
03-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Some varieties of Camelia might fit the bill, too. If you had more sun, oleander might work. Fatsia might work and is evergreen in zone 8, not sure how far south you are.

urbanlandscape
03-22-2005, 06:55 PM
My first suggestion for the shadier site would be rhododendrons. Evergreen, flowers, will grow with the low light conditions. I don't know about the height for your area, though. Up here in Michigan they don't grow very fast, but we're in the northern range for hardiness. I've seen rhodos grow pretty tall in West Virginia.

sheshovel
03-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Photinia ,but she might not like the flower enough,it's a good quick growing screen,evergreen in zone 7,has green above and red below on the leaf and flowers white or pinkish white.It may get bigger than 12'

AL Inc
03-24-2005, 01:42 PM
I would try Viburnums, too, or Skip Laurel. We've been using more of them instead of Rhodi maximums. Only problem is that they tend to brown out if we have a bad winter, I don't think that will be a problem down your way.

mexiking
03-24-2005, 03:42 PM
shrub dogwood
privet
juniper

hinoki false cypress

Garth
03-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Most euonymus will take full shade. Taxus,and Vaccinium ovatum, as well as Nandina domestica although they won't reach 10-12' they are very colourful. Osmanthus and Dodonea viscosa do very well with minimal light. Someone also said Fatsia japonica which was an excellent suggestion. Xylosma congestum have done well in rather shady areas. One of my favourites is Viburnum opulus sterile that has the large white flower clusters. Tecomaria capensis is one of the cape honeysuckles that has red, orange flowers and there is a variety out called "aurea" with bright yellow flowers.