PDA

View Full Version : Streaks in Lawn

River Hill
05-11-2000, 08:04 AM
Do any of you guys experince streaks in your lawns when cutting thick or tall grass? I sometimes experice this on my Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48". It seems the streaks are where the blades meet, that little 1/4" area. I don't have this problem with my Metro 36" . I was just wondering if others are having the same problem with their mowers and any way to prevent it.

Scraper
05-11-2000, 08:41 AM
Are you using manufacturer blades or aftermarket? I have noticed many aftermarket blades are a little off-spec (i.e. shorter) from the manufacturer's vblades. This little bit times two makes a larger gap between the blades. If not, try slowing down.

Dingo
05-11-2000, 11:53 AM
Yeah i have this damn problem and it pisses me off cause i have to go back and cut it again. I use the manufac. blades for it. you guys have any tips.<br>Dingo

HOMER
05-11-2000, 06:50 PM
I run any blade I can find cheap on my CHOPPERS and have never experienced this. HMMMMM could it be.............nevermind!<p>Homer

lawnnut
05-11-2000, 07:24 PM
Homer who uses grey Dixons<br>Have you picked up any rain yet.<br>Brians e-mail exmark they have been pretty good about getting back in past<br>

accuratelawn
05-11-2000, 09:15 PM
How pld are the blades? After sharpening several times you will lose some of the length. I tossed a set today!

thelawnguy
05-11-2000, 09:48 PM
Dull blades+grass under deck+high grass=streaks. The exmark has only 1&quot; overlap, high grass will cause two stripes, where the outside blades overlap the center blade, keep blades sharp, deck clean, and dont take off so much between cuttings. Oh yeah, you can always double-cut!<p>Bill

Doug406
05-11-2000, 11:22 PM
It is the tip speed + power, my 50 gravely 18 hp does this in tall grass, but the 25hp toro z 62's never do, complete acurate cut. most of the time I can even cut at 9 mph on an open section, cutting perfectly, no joke!! CLEAN CUT, NOT RIPPED.

HOMER
05-12-2000, 12:43 AM
NO, NOT ONE SINGLE DROP OF RAIN IN OVER 2 WEEKS............HIGH TODAY WAS 98! TIMES RUNNING OUT..................<p>HOMER

MOW ED
05-12-2000, 07:11 AM
I have a Walker with 42GHS and the blades overlap by an inch and the same thing happens to me in wet heavier grass if I go too fast. I'm sure that the blades arent as sharp as they should be too.

southside
05-12-2000, 08:45 AM
I agree with Doug,you can't have too much<br>power,however you can have too high a tip speed.Does the streaked areas look like the<br>grass is torn rather than cut? If so your<br>blades have had the dick and you should bin them. You can sharpen as much as you like ,<br>but in real thick grass there's no substitute<br>for new blades.<p>Karl<p>

Starling Lawn
05-12-2000, 10:11 AM
i had the same problem with my lesco wb.i discovered that sharpening the blades with a bench grinder rounded off the corners.ditched the blades and the grinder.problem solved.<br>dave

scottt
05-12-2000, 02:35 PM
dls7133:<br>If you don't use a bench grinder to sharpen your blades, then what do you use? I'm fairly new at this so I still have a lot to learn.

Starling Lawn
05-12-2000, 04:28 PM
some guys use grinders.i found the if i use the sharpening attatchment on my dremel(angled stone)i got better results.you can get the same for a regular drill motor.these guys might think i`m telling you wrong.but it worked for me.i can only say from experience.you can control it more than a bench grinder.takes off less.besides,who has 400.00 for a blade sharpener?<br>dave<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: dls7133

Eric ELM
05-12-2000, 07:30 PM
Scott, go to search and type in Sharpen and you will find a dicussion with 30 replies on blade sharpening. I have used a hand held grinder for the past 15 years, but I got a dedicated blade sharpener this spring and it is worth the $400 I spent for it. One big thing I've noticed is the blades stay sharp longer and it is a lot quicker to sharpen them with it.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

geogunn
05-12-2000, 10:08 PM
very interesting post. to me...I think these streaks must be parellel to the &quot;crop circles of europe&quot;.<p>cut for four years now, same lesco, lots of different blades...no streaks. no #$%t.<p>GEO

CHC
05-13-2000, 09:49 PM
We get have the same problem w/our 6' decks; Ferris & Scag. Resolution seems to come from: 1. sharp straight blades w/square corners;2. Tight blade drive belts. 3. Slow enough ground speed to give the decks a chance to clear as they cut

Matt
05-13-2000, 10:23 PM
The 48 sometimes does a steak one just one. It was most likely the spindle bearings.... have u checked these yet?