PDA

View Full Version : mark up from wholesale

rosolar
03-22-2005, 04:36 PM
what precentage do you mark up wholesale supplies when sold to a residential client?

Guthrie&Co
03-22-2005, 08:11 PM
i have heard ten to fifteen percent

yamadooski
03-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Hear in Florida most of the good landscapers mark up the price by triple.
Ex..our shrubs are $4.50 each. I install it for 14.00 each. Then on top of that I add 25% more to cover all misc. expenses.

YardPro
03-23-2005, 07:47 AM
i add 100%

AGLA
03-23-2005, 12:22 PM
First, what is wholesale?

Is it from buying direct from a major producer, a rewholesaler, or a retailer's wholesale rate for area 'scapers? (buy the most expensive wholesale plant and make more money?)

Second, is the price including installation and guarantee?

That makes the question a little more complicated than a quick multiplier.

LB1234
03-23-2005, 12:57 PM
As a rule of thumb, for most materials (landscape fabric, mulch, stone, etc.) I multiple my cost by 1.5 to obtain the customers cost. However, I believe you need to take into account things like total cost of the job, if guarantees on the product are warranted (i.e. trees, shrubs, flowers, etc.), how to get the material to the site, loading/unloading of material, etc.

Take trees for example...if the tree costs me 100 bucks out the door, using my 'rule of thumb' I would charge 150. However, I need to take into account the time it took me to select/tag the tree, the time it took to load it, the time it will take me to unload the tree, any special tools needed to unload the tree (i.e. treecart and/or steer w/forks), guarantee on the plant, etc. So I probablly would charge something more like twice my cost.

Just my two cents.

newleaflandscape
03-23-2005, 01:00 PM
I charge fifteen percent markup on all materials plus my overhead. Pretty standard around here.

urbanlandscape
03-25-2005, 01:19 PM
To figure markup, I go shopping at my local retail nurseries. I know that the product I hand pick from my wholesalers is at least as good as what our best local retailer sells. So, my method is to price for what the market can bear. I charge, for just the plant, what a top end retailer would. Delivery and installation extra, no guarantee.

JRAZ
03-25-2005, 05:54 PM
Most vendors around here offer a contractor or wholesale discount. It usually ranges anywhere from 25-50% off the retail price. I mark the price up to the normal retail price and charge for any delivery of products. Usually products are all part of a landscape installation job and factored in as a total bid price. I do not make my living running around picking stuff up for people. Most if us here make our money on our labor charge.

~ JRAZ

mdb landscaping
03-25-2005, 07:15 PM
we on average try to get triple the cost. sometimes when doing large commercial plantings you cant get that cause the contractors beat you up to meet their numbers. :dizzy:

olderthandirt
03-25-2005, 08:57 PM
we on average try to get triple the cost. sometimes when doing large commercial plantings you cant get that cause the contractors beat you up to meet their numbers. :dizzy:

Ditto--------------triple the cost for residentials, commercials as much as possable and it depends on what kind of guarentee the comercial places require.

Popper357
04-14-2005, 03:47 PM
How much of a warranty are you guys giving for those triple prices? I am considering one year on my spruce bushes, but I think clients would like a two year, at least.

KINGjosh
04-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Most of all the plants and shrubs i get from the nursery are 50% cheaper than retail. I just mark it uo 100%, that usually comes out to the same price as Home Cheapo sells them for. And thats great for me because customers always see plants and shrubs they want at Home depot and tell me to get them. They know what the retail price is.

bicmudpuppy
04-14-2005, 08:32 PM
That ^@##@^ over grown lumber yard with the big orange sign gripes my A$$. They advertise prices below most wholesale house for materials, do those fancy commercials on TV about how knowledgeable and helpfull they are and all they can really do is put you on hold when you call and know exactly what you want and just want to make sure it's there. If you want something but are going to need help, budget a minimum of one hour for the mickey mouse run around they are going to give you. They really ought to send royalties to Disney. I seem to get at least one customer per month who will tell me how much cheaper they can go down there and buy my parts. My reply is always the same...."go by the #@!@^ parts, install them your own self and if you call me back the labor rates just went up, been nice having you as a customer. good luck in the future." I have yet to make it back in the truck with out recieving an apology and finishing the repair work.

As for markup, I don't do a lot of landscaping, we are a primarily irrigation only company. I mark everything up 2.5x. I mark up the things the customer can't buy to whatever the market will bear. Unfortunately, the product list they can't get is dwindling. On landscaping, when we do do a project, If they want no warranty, I will match the cheap retail if I can. If they want a quality job, I get 3x on warranty material (one year, but I wouldn't be afraid to give two) and 2.5x on everything else. The possible exception to this is mulch. I have installed mulch for EXISTING customers in bags on a per bag basis and let them buy the material and pay for the delivery to site. The day my son and I can't make our labor rates for those few customers who have been with us from day one at a dollar a bag, I will know that I've finally gotten to old to cut it.

NickN
04-15-2005, 09:00 AM
It depends on what it is.For a large quantity plant,such as liriope or mondo grass=50%.For shrubs used in beds= 150%.Trees 200%.

olderthandirt
04-16-2005, 10:45 AM
How much of a warranty are you guys giving for those triple prices? I am considering one year on my spruce bushes, but I think clients would like a two year, at least.
1 yr and they have to sign an instuction sheet on how to care for the plants. IE. watering etc. If they fail to follow the instuctions it voids there warrenty

greenwithenvylandscape
04-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Here in Lakelland FL we mark up 3x and warrenty for 1 yr and add on for different reasons...long walk to backyard...PITA...etc...