PDA

View Full Version : diesel or gas for mowing truck

lawnandplow42
03-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Hey guys.
As far as the mowing truck that pulls the trailer house to house (i have an open trailer with two mowers), would u prefer diesel or gas?
I'm familiar with the fact that diesels theoretically last longer, are better on fuel, and have more power.
I figured the torque of a diesel truck would be good for towing, but I've heard that the stop and go driving, and on and off all day is not good for a turbo diesel truck.
Pretend the fuel prices for gas and diesel were the same, I'm more focused on the mechanical aspects right now.
What do you think? thanks a LOT

Soupy
03-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Diesel and leave it running unless you know you will be there for awhile. Idle diesel does not use much fuel at all. You will get better towing power, gas mileage, and it is a lot easier to keep gas in mowers separate for off road tax. Unless you use diesel mowers too.

Old Red
03-22-2005, 06:13 PM
First let me preface that I'm not a mechanical/truck nut. Not that there's anything wrong with that; I have the utmost respect for those that understand what they're driving and how it works. I'm hauling a tractor, heavy implements (rotodairon tiller) and occasionally two horses and like my diesel Chevy for this kind of work. However for pulling a couple of mowers, stop and go, I don't see an advantage to using a diesel engined truck. I see you are in NE. I use my truck as my personal vehicle and all winter long as I leave work, full time graveyard shift not a landscaping job, I have to sit around and wait for my truck to warm up before I go home. In my mind this is a big negative to owning a diesel. I love the sound, I love the torque, and I think I have need of the diesel for when I do tow but I'm thinking that to tow a couple mowers around you might want to stick with a gas engine.

lawnandplow42
03-22-2005, 07:34 PM
thank you very much for the input.
anyone else?