PDA

View Full Version : Flat bed

iowa
03-22-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm thinking about finding/building a flat bed for my truck. I was thinking about getting a newer truck, but then I second thought about doing that and instead building a bed for it and buying a nicer car to save a little on gas. Would it be feasable to build a flat bed for a truck like this? After I got my car it would only be used for pulling the trailer and landscaping once in a while.

Who's done it before? How much does it cost to build/have built a bed for a truck?

txlawnking
03-22-2005, 06:16 PM
You can certainly find a flatbed for that pickup. Expect to pay @ $1000 for one, and you can get them with all different gadgets, etc. to make it fit your needs to a "T".. Here in Houston, there are lots of places that sell them.

Look under truck outfitters or something like that to find a shop/manufacturer that sells them..

PTP
03-22-2005, 06:16 PM
It depends on what you want and how much work you want to do yourself but a pre-fab bed could be as low as $1000 or so.

lawnandplow42
03-22-2005, 06:19 PM
This is a veryyy good idea. Flatbeds are much more practical IMO. I have a chevy similar to yours, and so do three of my friends who have built flatbeds for their chevy trucks. It is not hard if you are good at welding. Whats nice about flatbeds is that you can put sideboards on, mount underside toolboxes, have a headache rack, and mount lights/strobes flush with the bed.
As far as prices, you could probably do a basic flatbed at a few hundred dollars. I'll talk to my buddies. One of them is currently in the proccess of making his flatbed, maybe i can get pics. They all bolted it to the frame, versus welding it. Oak deck is nice with diamond plate on the sides and back.

pjslawncare/landscap
03-22-2005, 06:44 PM
I have a F-250 that I converted to flatbed with a hoist. I got about $1500 in it. Found a flatbed at a used car lot, welded channel iron for reinforcement, painted her and installed a Northern hoist. Check it out at the link below

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=96041

Brendonv
03-22-2005, 08:04 PM
heres my flatbed on my yota just for ideas. got it in the local classfieds for $200, painted it, put lights in the rear, and got a peice of diamond plate to dress it up a little.

Smalltimer1
03-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I'm looking at a 1963 F-600 that the old oak bed is shot on. I'm planning on fabbing up a complete bed unless I am able to find a great deal on a 14" flatbed. If I get this truck I'm going to add a dovetail to it so I can drive my mowers and equipment up on the back and eliminate the need for a trailer.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
03-23-2005, 01:08 AM
I"m taking my 89 GMC and yanking the bed that is kinda shot and having a buddy fab up a stake/flat bed for it. The truck can haul mulch or equiptment or junk. I think the Flat bed is the smart way to go on an older truck that still has a lot of life in it.