PDA

View Full Version : who uses a goose neck trailer?

all ferris
03-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I am considering getting a goose neck trailer (enclosed). I have herd that they pull much better and are easier to back up. I can't come up with a reason not to get one, am I missing something?

MP350
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
The biggest disadvantage to a goose-neck trailer is if your truck breaks down you have to have a truck that is also set up to tow a goose-neck.With a pull behind just about any truck can pull it. But a goose-neck type dose pull easier, put for me they are harder to back up.

all ferris
03-22-2005, 10:30 PM
The thing about other trucks not being set up to pull it might be a good thing. It will keep friends from wanting to use it :p .

Guthrie&Co
03-22-2005, 11:17 PM
i pulled a 24 foot goose this weekend and besides the weight factor i couldnt really tell that it was back there. the only drawback would be the loss of bed space fot tools etc etc

PLM-1
03-22-2005, 11:27 PM
I also think GN's are more difficult to back up. Also, if you have a shortbed you can't turn as sharp or the trailer will hit the cab :nono: . Oh ya...don't forget to put down the tailgate, that sucks when you hit it!

Guthrie&Co
03-22-2005, 11:56 PM
i think its half and half on the backing issue. i love em. i think they are ten times easier. but they do pull better. they are night and day. my 24 footer weighs in the neighborhood of 4 grand. she didnt even squat an inch

Bigfoot
03-24-2005, 09:02 AM
I run a gooseneck and really like it. For me it pulls better and is much easier to back up.

Scag48
03-24-2005, 08:07 PM
We have a 21 footer that we used to haul our skid steer with. We replaced it with a 21 foot drop deck tilt that is much easier to load on to. Goosenecks are great trailers if they are setup right. We bought ours to haul bins of apples to the warehouse so it's rated for 24K. We used it all of last year to transport equipment, but the ramps we have for it aren't very long as they stow up underneath the beavertail, so the load angle is steep and the ramps are only about 12 inches wide :eek: It works okay with 2 people loading our 216, one to direct the other running machine, but rarely do we have time to send to people to do the job of one, so we bought a regular bumper pull tilt bed. Much nicer. But we still need the gooseneck to transport our fruit so we keep it. Anyway, it makes the trailer quite a bit shorter because the tongue length is basically nothing. They are a different creature when it comes to backing them up, but after a while you get used ot it. If you have a regular pickup box and have side mounted tool boxes be sure to think about this factor with a gooseneck. My dad has a side mounted tool boxes that sit on top of the rails of his bed and ours clears the mainframe, but sometimes if I go around a corner that pitches the trailer to the trailer to the left I tend to worry if it's going to clear, I've gotten close to smashing up that box.