PDA

View Full Version : Ever been ripped off on a purchase?

Eddie B
03-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Have you guys ever bought something only to find that you've really been ripped off later on? Mowers, Trimmers, Cars, etc? I've been ripped off really bad and I just need to spill it out for a second. I bought a '92 Chevy 2500 in November from a dealership so that i'd have a heavier truck for this season. WELL.... the truck is shiny, looks great and drives great when I buy it. I pay $3,600 for this nice dealership truck. Ran good for almost a month, and then the engine threw a rod. It needed a new engine. Engine goes in and the clutch falls apart. This all costs $3,500 to fix. I put 900 miles on the new engine, and then the front end of the truck collapsed at the wheels. 4 ball joints, shocks, and some steering components run me another $920. When I purchased this truck, if I turned the steering wheel all the way, the tires would rub. I figured the tires were just too big, and thats exactly what the dealership said as well. I've been running into problems where if I hit large bumps while driving, the wheels scrape and sparks fly out. I figured fixing the front end would solve this issue, but it turns out that these wheels don't even belong on this truck. They are the wrong size, and someone actually used washers to offset the wheel lugs, to make the wheels scrape less. This is insane. I need 4 wheels now that fit right and new tires and an alignment to follow. The dealership refuses to help, since this was an as-is sale.

Any of you guys been ripped off like this?

packerbacker
03-22-2005, 06:50 PM
No, I have everything i buy checked out before I purchase it. Especially a vehicle.

kickin sum grass
03-22-2005, 06:52 PM
sorry to hear that. But look at it this way. You will know to look over your next buy better.

promower
03-22-2005, 06:56 PM
That does suck, but in defense to the dealership you bought a truck thats 13 years old. They may or may not have know the engine and clutch were ready to go, and as far as the tires, well you knew something was up with that and should have maybe researched the problem a little more before the purchase. I do feel for ya though I have made some really idiotic purchases myself, just the risk you take buying an older truck. Next time have a certified mechanic check it out first. On the bright side you have a lot of new parts in the truck and hopefully it will last a long time from here on out.

Jpocket
03-22-2005, 06:57 PM
OMG! Terrible, I don't really bother with those "Middle aged Trucks" I like 73' - 88' Chevys, or 98' and up chevy ford Dodge

snap12.5
03-22-2005, 07:19 PM
I am actually in the process of locating a 94-97 chevy 2500 and have thought of all the possibilities of something going wrong with the truck after I buy it. I have looked at some extended warranties and they range between $1000-$2000. Next time, you should consider a warranty.
There are several ways that a dealership can temporarily conceal problems. It is hard to trust dealers especially after I spoke to someone who told me all the "shady" things dealers will do to sell a car. I am sure that there are honest dealers out there but I have not met many.

aries
03-22-2005, 07:41 PM
I would say being that I have worked for a dealership in the past that are responsible for safety issues you must bring this up to their attention!

txlawnking
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm sure not trying to be mean or cruel, but it sounds like you didn't do your due dilligance at the time of purchase. When I was @ 17 years old, ( before I became a certified mechanic ) I bought a Ford Ranchero from a less than scrupulous car lot. Within weeks of my purchase, everything that you mentioned and then some went wrong with the P.O.S. It was shiny, had a great interior, and lots of Armor All, But the mechanicals of it were JUNK. Was it the dealers fault that I bought a lemon?

Not really, he never mislead me, I just got overrun by the emotion of the moment, and Chose to overlook the mechanicals of it..

When in doubt, have an A.S.E. certified technician ( or mechanic you really trust ) check it out..

Either way, I'm sorry you got a bad deal.. :(

Oldtimer
03-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Caveat Emptor: Let the Buyer Beware

tiedeman
03-22-2005, 08:30 PM
yup, I was ripped off before on a backpack blower. It either does two things; won't start, or only runs for 5 mins and then shuts down because it gets hot. Less than a year old, it has been in the repair shop 4 times to see what is wrong with it and every time they said they could never find anything wrong it. But sure enough, when I get home it happens again.

Even after about 2 months(even though I was lucky to maybe use it about a half dozen times during that time) of using it I told them that I wanted a refund. It didn't have to be cash, but at least a store credit or something and they wouldn't do it, their exact words were, "sorry, can't help you there."

cantoo
03-22-2005, 09:30 PM
I buy and sell stuff all the time. I'm sure people have told you that sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes if it sounds too good to be true it usually is. When I sell stuff I tell the buyer everything that I know I also tell them if they unload it at home and the motor falls out don't bother calling me I don't care. I am asking a price and you are paying it for the item, use your eyes and brain not mine. You called me I didn't call you. I sold a motorcylce a few years ago that was completely worn out. I put in the ad that the motorcycle was on it's last legs and needed extensive and likely expensive work done to it, I said that it was good for parts only. A guy called, let's call him idiot to protect the innocent asking about the condition of the bike, I repeated what the ad said,, parts only. He came and bought the bike for my asking price, two days later he calls me back and said the bike was in rough condition and would cost a fortune to fix. I asked him if he still had the trader with the ad in it. I asked him to read me the ad, he ended up hanging up on me. I never held a gun to his head and I never lied,, parts only. I've been ripped before but no one held a gun to my head either, thoughts of a quick profit blinded me.

Randy Scott
03-22-2005, 10:12 PM
You were'nt ripped off. Maybe unfortunate in your purchase, but ripped off, no, I don't think so. Look at it this way, NOW you probably have a pretty sound truck for awhile.

lawncare3
03-24-2005, 12:36 AM
I had a 75 f250. Had it 3 days the carb went out. $550 repair. A week later the tranny went. I lost about $2200 after it was all said and dun.