PDA

View Full Version : Need Sod-Laying Advice

south jerz
03-22-2005, 08:24 PM
:dizzy:

Hey Everyone,

Me and one worker are doing a 3,000 sq ft sod job. Can I remove the old lawn and till and fertilize one day, then lay the sod the next day? Also, is using lyme at any stage necessary/beneficial? How do you use lyme in sodding?

K&L Landscaping
03-22-2005, 08:25 PM
I have a feeling this thread will be moved pretty quickly :D

Lbilawncare
03-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Green side up ! If you can get the old turf removed and ready in a day than you should be able to sod the next day. Just make sure that the lawn is graded properly. Do a ph test to determine if you need lime.

south jerz
03-22-2005, 08:54 PM
but do you know off hand A)how to test soil ph and B) what levels will require lyme? Also, I'm renting a big tiller to grade the soil, is there anything special I should do when grading? Thank you.

nitrotim
03-22-2005, 09:02 PM
:dizzy:

Hey Everyone,

Me and one worker are doing a 3,000 sq ft sod job. Can I remove the old lawn and till and fertilize one day, then lay the sod the next day? Also, is using lyme at any stage necessary/beneficial? How do you use lyme in sodding?

Hey South Jerz I am in Cumberland County. Are you close?

Coffeecraver
03-22-2005, 09:03 PM
Lyme may hurt the lawn You should use Lime.

Actually you should sub the job out.

Contact your local Extension Agency for details on obtaining a soil test kit

After the soil sample is taken you send it for testing,they will send you a paper that will tell you what to add to the soil.

When grading be sure to look out for bad drainage areas,repair them before
Installing the sod.

:)

Precision
03-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Not intended with the sarcasm that will seem to be behind this, but, get a clue before you bid jobs. Sodding, landscaping, irrigation, cutting large complexes, pavers and tons of other things.

There is a reason that some people get paid a lot of money to do certain things. It is called experience. There is no better way to ruin your business than doing jobs you have no idea what you are doing.

Strawbridge Lawn
03-23-2005, 08:50 AM
I do not understand the whole tilling process. This time of year I would roundup everything, Cut it down low and bag once dead.
Aerate 2X, bring in soil/compost if needed and then sod. With the exception of Roundup, all can be done the same day.

I would charge around $1,200 less any material.

Now if you have a Bermuda problem that is different.

NickN
03-23-2005, 09:05 AM
3000 sq ft is a pretty small job.FORGET THE TILLING.Tilling soil will loosen it and you'll screw the grade up.Then you'll have to bring in topsoil.
Cut the sod with a sod cutter,set to the depth of the new sod.Remove sod,rake the area to loosen the soil,lay in your new sod,staggering the joints,and lightly roll the sod into the soil.
It's pretty simple.You can put down a starter fertilizer to help with root growth.If you want to put down lime,get a soil test or use a Kelway(sp?).It's pretty darn accurate.

Turfdude
03-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Depending on how you tackle the job and crew size one day to 1.5 days tops. If you have a dumptruck and strip sod w/ sod cutter and have 2 laborers, 1 day strip sod, till and handgrade, 1/2 day to lay sod, roll, lime & fert. If you have skid steer w/ teeth, no need to till. Strip sod, scarify & grade 1/2 day (running loads to dump while operator works soil/grade), 1/2 day w/ 3 guys to lay new sod.