PDA

View Full Version : Sod cutters

Kelly's Landscaping
03-22-2005, 08:03 PM
What brands of sod cutters are out there? I only know of 3 and feel I would like more choices before I make a decision. I have put this off for 2 years but it bites me every spring and itís to the point now where I just cannot skip it any more. I have rented Ryan in the past and been totally disgusted with the ones I got the last one we gave up on after more then and hour of trying to get it started needless to say that cost me more then 25 man hours because of that. Had sod already ordered so I had to do the area by hand had no choice. So I have found in saved time it will probably pay for its self for me in just the month of May. I am leaning towards bluebird but just donít have enough info to go on. Also I do not know the cost of any of these items never bought one nor do I know someone who has.

Del9175
03-23-2005, 11:20 AM
I have some limited experience with both the Ryan and Bluebird. I prefer the Bluebird by far. It was a lot easier it use. From what I have seen online, the bluebirds are upwards of $3,000 for and 18".

Down in Florida, the Home Depot rental deptartment sells their used equipment every couple of years. Their sod cutters get very limitied use from what I can tell and the prices are usually pretty good. If you defiantely want new, they can also get you a brand new one.

I'm not sure if they all do this, but the ones down here do. This is just something to consider.

Itsgottobegreen
03-23-2005, 12:25 PM
In agree with del9175

Blue birds are easier to use.

steve in Pa.
03-23-2005, 10:11 PM
kelly I have used the bluebird and its a good machine. Downfalls are size, weight, and speed but overall I was sold on it. Till we demoed a billy goat sod cutter and if i was buying one today it would be a billy goat. Don't let the size of this machine fool you. Its alot smaller than the bluebird but can cut 2x 's faster. Much easier to operate, less fatigue not having to manhandle it like the bluebird. Once again DON'T LET THE SIZE MISLEAD YOU!!!!!!! Other brands we have used claussen JUNK! Like i said i was a bluebird sodcutter fan till we demoed this billy goat.

Kelly's Landscaping
03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Took me a while to find my thread again it up and moved on me. Just looked up the Billy Goat that looks awesome 161 pounds instead of 330-350 pounds. I have already seen my dealer on the blue bird said its around $3600 and I am still thinking it over money is getting tight spring has been delayed and it looks like we are spending around 50k to start up so this is the last thing I want to be buying atm. That said the blue bird has an 18-inch cut where the Billy Goat has a 12 I am wondering how that plays into over all production. Also what does the Billy Goat cost that would also enter into our decision she did look great and for what we need it for smaller may be better.

WhohasHelios?
03-24-2005, 03:45 PM
I have used the Ryans and Bluebirds quite a bit. I don't really care for either of them. I am a pretty big guy, so I can throw them around quite a bit, tbu training staff on them is a nightmare.

Also, I always seem to have the belts come off on them lately....

I have recently had the opportunity to try the new Husqvuarna four wheel drive cutters. They are fantastic!! Equipped with a reverse gear, pnuematic tires and all!!!

I strongly recommend giving one a shot if you can find them.

-Reuben

Turfdude
03-24-2005, 07:03 PM
I have used brower & ryan. The brower has 2 individual cutting blades and this thing throws you all over the place. I purchased the rental unit my dealer had last year for $900 w/ a honda engine. I love it. The machine starts right up and goes thru turf like no tomorrow. I have never run a bluebird, but am very satisfied w/ the ryan jr sod cutter.

steve in Pa.
03-24-2005, 09:06 PM
kelly we got a quote on the billy goat it was around 2100.00. I think even though the billy goat's blade is smaller its production is faster than the bluebirds 18" blade. The billy goat is so fast and light by the time you make one pass with old blue you could get at least two with billy. We were really impressed with the billy goats performance.

turfcobob
07-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Took me a while to find my thread again it up and moved on me. Just looked up the Billy Goat that looks awesome 161 pounds instead of 330-350 pounds. I have already seen my dealer on the blue bird said its around $3600 and I am still thinking it over money is getting tight spring has been delayed and it looks like we are spending around 50k to start up so this is the last thing I want to be buying atm. That said the blue bird has an 18-inch cut where the Billy Goat has a 12 I am wondering how that plays into over all production. Also what does the Billy Goat cost that would also enter into our decision she did look great and for what we need it for smaller may be better.

If you are looking for an easy to use sod cutter that gets the job done. look at the Turfco KisCutter. Very easy to use and only 140 lbs. This unit comes from a company that has been building sod cutters for over 50 years. Sells around $2200 and can keep up with the 300 lb cutters for production yet you can cut around trees to make tree rings it is that easy to use.. See them at Turfco.com

Kelly's Landscaping
07-07-2005, 11:25 PM
I bought the billy goat and all I can say is I love it. Quite very clean and does the job effortlessly could not be happier with it and it takes up next to no space in my over flowing garage. Two of us easily lift it on to the back of the truck in fact it I was not concerned of where the blade is I would lift it myself.

reverseentropy
05-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Has anyone checked out the Hummer sod cutter attachment for the Toro Dingo? There are a couple on ebay...