PDA

View Full Version : Wobbly wheels on trailer?

Expert Lawns
03-24-2005, 05:14 PM
I just purchased a used 14 ft open trailer with tandem axles. I was putting air in the tires today and noticed that they all wobble a bit. If I push in on the tops of the tires, they seem to move 1/4 inch or so. Bolts seem to be on nice and tight. Just so you know, one of the tires is 1 size smaller than the rest, but they still all wobble. Whats up?

KathysLGC
03-24-2005, 05:22 PM
Check to see if the bearings are loose.

grasswhacker
03-24-2005, 05:26 PM
Yup bearings.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-24-2005, 05:39 PM
Yep bearings, I would take them out and repack them with grease and re - install. If they are pitted or blue in color (over heated) I would replace the bearings and race. When tightening them up you want the wheel to be snug but able to spin the wheel fairly easy, if you get them too tight they will over heat and malfunction.BTW there should be a carter key through the outer nut that you will have to remove to get the axle nut off. If you need more help just ask

KathysLGC
03-24-2005, 05:44 PM
I usually tighten the nut down fully then turn the wheel back wards while loosening the nut till it moves freely. It will be packed with grease so don't expect it to just spin like a bicycle wheel.

Carolina Cutter
03-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Yep...check them for wear and grease.......ahhhhh go ahead and replace them...it wont hurt.

dvmcmrhp52
03-24-2005, 06:18 PM
The bearings on trailers can be a bit of a pain, the castle nuts never quite seem to have the right position to get the bearings just right..........too tight,too loose.......Castle nuts are cheap, buy a few sets if you need, to get the right tightness. Otherwise redrill the axle (for the cotter pin)for proper tightening.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-24-2005, 06:32 PM
The bearings on trailers can be a bit of a pain, the castle nuts never quite seem to have the right position to get the bearings just right..........too tight,too loose.......Castle nuts are cheap, buy a few sets if you need, to get the right tightness. Otherwise redrill the axle (for the cotter pin)for proper tightening.

I thought maybe I was the only one with that problem ;) ;)

Expert Lawns
03-24-2005, 06:47 PM
What kind of grease do I use? And I have never had to work with bearings like this, so what exactly are they and how do they become loose? I'm going to do some research right now, but I'd still like you're input. Thanks for the replies so far

grass_cuttin_fool
03-24-2005, 06:59 PM
Get a ''wheel bearing'' approved grease, some one at the auto parts place should be able to point ya in the right direction. They can become loose from lack of grease or just plain wear, metal to metal.It is a fairly simple job, not to hard, just requires some time

Evan528
03-24-2005, 07:04 PM
Do you guys not have mandatory year trailer inspections where you are?? In PA any dual axle trailer must be inspected once a year and any slightest problem must be repaired to pass the inspection. Seems they have to replace my wheel bearing every year or 2.

Anthony Orlando
03-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Can any one tell me how much grease to put in on a greasable bearing. I mean there is zerks for the bearings. The trailer is 3 years old( not used a whole bunch). Just wondered how much to grease them.Thanks

Expert Lawns
03-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Evan, who inspects the trailers? SOS? OSHA? Just wondering because I've never heard of that up here. Also, I just bought the trailer (used) and haven't had the chance to go over everythign. I still need to check out the wiring. I'm sure that needs work too.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-24-2005, 08:49 PM
Do yall have a state inspection in Mich. In Va the same garage that inspects cars and trucks do the trailers also

KathysLGC
03-25-2005, 09:05 AM
I use synthetic wheel bearing grease. Do you know how to pack them?

grass_cuttin_fool
03-25-2005, 10:34 AM
I use a bearing packer, alot easier and cleaner than doing it by hand

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_SessionID=@@@@1180719126.1111761180@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcaddeekgdheecehgcemgdffmdggh.0&vertical=SEARS&sid=I0033900180002100085&pid=00947069000

Expert Lawns
03-25-2005, 12:03 PM

no clue playboy. was hoping to do it this weekend, so any input will be helpful. thanks guys

KathysLGC
03-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah those bearing packers are great. To do it by hand you need to get dirty. Put about a table spoonful of grease in the palm of one hand. If your right handed it might be easier to put the grease in your left hand, now take the bearing and cup the grease with it. Kinda like your peeling a thin layer of grease from your hand. Hard to explain....
Aw heck try this link...

http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/bearing1.html

KathysLGC
03-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Oh yeah if you plan on reusing the existing bearings the procedure is the same. Just repack the bearings till the new grease comes out the other end.

PTP
03-25-2005, 12:32 PM
When you are putting the wheels back on after you have regreased the bearings, make sure that you don't get the nut too tight. You would think that because it is a big nut then you really have to tighten it a lot - not so. Just a regular wrench will do - even pliars work.

Tighten the nut reasonably tight (just a little bit of torque with the wrench) and spin the tire. This is so everything gets seated properly. Then, back the nut off and tighten it with your fingers. You then want to tighten it just a little with the wrench - 1/4 turn or maybe even a little less.

I know that most of you guys already know this but I would hate for someone who thought that it sounded easy to wreck a couple of hubs.

Expert Lawns
03-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Here's a picture of what I have to work with. What do these pictures say to you?

Expert Lawns
03-26-2005, 07:17 PM
and another......................

grass_cuttin_fool
03-26-2005, 07:19 PM
DId you take a little hub cap off the center of the axle? If you didnt, it seems to me it is gone and you probably have alot of dirt in there and bad bearings. Playboy had a link in a previous post that explains how to perform this job

grass_cuttin_fool
03-26-2005, 07:27 PM
After looking at the other pictures,the one on trailer painting, some one didnt have the small axle cover caps on there and I feel that you have alot of dirt in there and probably need to replace the bearings and races and get the axle cap covers too, I cant believe that someone took them off and didnt replace them

Expert Lawns
03-26-2005, 07:33 PM
You're right. The caps were never on. I have always had them on my other trailers, so I never really paid attention. Good eye

Carolina Cutter
03-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Yep time for new bearings and most likely races too. Those "dust" caps are very very important!!

Metro Lawn
03-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Michigan has no inspections for trailers and non commercial trucks. DOT makes commercial truck owner do an annual inspection and put an inspection sticker on the vehicle.

Expert, why get a used trailer when a new one is only about $1200

Expert Lawns
03-26-2005, 10:44 PM
Because my budget only allowed me to spend $700. The other $500 can go towards other projects.

Expert Lawns
03-26-2005, 10:47 PM
I got the trailer for under $700, so the money I saved is going towards the bearings and paint job. Paint job has run me about $25, with enough to redo it next year

RedWingsDet
03-27-2005, 03:38 AM
Im glad I read this expert. Im going to take a look at mine now. I will probably have to replace them also. Im painting it tommorow, well today actually, but later in the day lol cause its 2:30am. I preped it yesterday. Im thinking of getting some new rims, maybe chrome. But tommorrow when im painting it, im going to take the wheels off I guess...

also, what are you guys talking about when you say hub covers... Ive never heard of them, do they just keep the outside contaminates off the bearings?

Carolina Cutter
03-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Im glad I read this expert. Im going to take a look at mine now. I will probably have to replace them also. Im painting it tommorow, well today actually, but later in the day lol cause its 2:30am. I preped it yesterday. Im thinking of getting some new rims, maybe chrome. But tommorrow when im painting it, im going to take the wheels off I guess...

also, what are you guys talking about when you say hub covers... Ive never heard of them, do they just keep the outside contaminates off the bearings?

Hub covers are the caps that you place over the bearing area.....See the silver "cap" in the center of this drum....thats it

grass_cuttin_fool
03-27-2005, 09:55 AM
Yes it is just a cap to keep dirt/ water out of the hub, There is a '' bearing buddy'' that allows you to add grease with out taking the cover off. But it is designed mainly for boat axles where you back in the water and you need to keep the hub full of grease to keep the water out.

Expert Lawns
03-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Hey Mark, did you say you had the brake controller for the trailer? I just spent $100 on a controller and another $50 in wires, plugs, etc for the brakes on the truck side. If you have the controller, let me know so I can return mine. thanks

RedWingsDet
03-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Hey Mark, did you say you had the brake controller for the trailer? I just spent $100 on a controller and another $50 in wires, plugs, etc for the brakes on the truck side. If you have the controller, let me know so I can return mine. thanks

No not the controller, I thought I had the wiring for the truck side. The 7pin adapter. But I couldnt find it. Only thing I had is what I gave you.

KathysLGC
03-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Hey I was gonne buy that trailer! LoL Found a 12ft in town though.