PDA

View Full Version : Open Trailers

JonM
03-24-2005, 10:08 PM
I read every thread possible on here, and very rarely post. I cannot say how much information I have found and how much knowledge I have gained from Lawnsite. Now for my question. I hope I've posted this in the right section, but, here it goes. I have mowed lawns before, but this is my first year as a legitimate business... registered and insured, no licenses required in NH for mowing as far as I know. I sold my car and put the money towards an '05 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4. I currently have a 5x8 trailer, but it seems dwarfed by the truck, and backing up can be tricky. I see a lot of your set ups, and was hoping for some recommendations. I'm looking at maybe a 12' or 14' single axle, I wont need much more for right now. What brands do you recommend? I see the ones with the mesh storage box on the front, who makes them? I'm looking for a sturdy trailer that can hold my Exmark Metro 36 and trimmer and blower, but still give me some room to grow. There are a few dealers nearby who have CarMate and Big Tex. What would you recommend?

If this has been asked before, I apologize, I did a search but didnt turn up too much. Thanks again! Jon :)

BSDeality
03-24-2005, 10:25 PM
let the 5x8 make you money to save up enough for a new/used larger trailer. You'll get the hang of manuevering the 5x8 in no-time.

big tex makes some nice (read $$) trailers. Don't be afraid to buy a used one, there's not much to a trailer, so they're simple to fix, upgrade, etc. Think about electric brakes too. you never know when you might need them.

Tractor Supply carries those mesh boxes, there are a few companys that make their own versions as well. try searching for trailer box or cargo box, etc.

Jamesgateslandscaping
03-24-2005, 10:41 PM
I live in Amherst, I have a 6x10 with steal sides for sale for $400. The trailer is a tilt with tail gate (no ramps). Interested?
Thanks
James

jajwrigh
03-26-2005, 02:19 AM
I reccomend using at least a 6 x 10 model, if not bigger. You will outgrow it faster than you think!

Lawnchoice
03-26-2005, 02:38 AM
I need another trailer and it's going to be 6x12 as well. I found a dealer in Kittery that carries BigTex. He quoted me 1300.00 ( ballpark ) and has a shipment coming in next week.

If they are at that price, I am going to pick on up.

Will let you know what I find out.

JonM
03-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Thanks Lawnchoice, I'd appreciate it. There's a Big Tex dealer in Weare, NH that I've visited. I went and looked at them the other day and they appear to be a well built trailer, but please let me know what you find out. Thanks! :) Jon

lawnandplow42
03-26-2005, 06:02 PM
I'd stick with an open trailer

nobagger
03-26-2005, 06:12 PM
If interested in getting a bigger trailer I would go with what you can afford. I bought a 7x12 and I wish I would have bought at least a 16' I have absolutly no room on my trailer this year, but I have all that I need. And as far as the boxes they do make pre fab ones but if you know someone who welds its a lot cheaper, usually they are made only out of 1x1 or 2x2 angle iron and expanded metal (for the mesh part). I customized mine a little- sits off the trailer enough to get my 48" under it and deep enough to put larger fuel cans in it. I also put, and I thought this was pretty neat, a tarp roller on top (like you see on dumps to cover the cargo) it covers all of my equipment and attaches to the sides of the trailer. I have some specs if anyone is interested.

bnl
03-26-2005, 11:06 PM
NoBagger, Can i get the specs for that tarp roller? I have thrown around the idea of getting one fabricated for my dump trailer so I can stop fooling with the covers and bungee straps to eliminate the leaky loads of mulch. Actually, I know with a tarp roller, i will not be eliminating the leaking of the mulch from underneath as well as the cover and straps do, but all the law enforcement around here wants to see is a cover of some kind.....they don't care if you lose a bit here and there, just as long as you have a cover of some kind. (So why even have a law if they don't mind your cover leaking?) Anyway, I would like to see how yours is designed. Thanks.

Lawnchoice
03-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks Lawnchoice, I'd appreciate it. There's a Big Tex dealer in Weare, NH that I've visited. I went and looked at them the other day and they appear to be a well built trailer, but please let me know what you find out. Thanks! :) Jon

Jon,

I got a call from them yesterday saying that they were getting the 6x12's in this week. 1350.00 with the dual ramps.

I will get back to you when I get up there to visit them.

just Cuts
03-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Check out Halmark trailers. I have a 6x12 enclosed trailer.Nice trailer for about 2300.00.

L.A.Lawns
03-28-2005, 07:38 PM
NOBAGGER ,,, i would like to look at your tarp roller spec. i'v been looking at ways to do something like that for some time now. i'm tired of throwing a tarp over equip. then folding it back up later . thanks for any help