PDA

View Full Version : mini tiller

gunner27
03-25-2005, 12:50 AM
I did a search on mini tillers, many differant opinions. I thought hard about the stihl yard boss but ruled that out based on the fact that the powerhead they use is the same they use on their homeowner trimmer unit. I have it narrowed down to a mantis 2 cycle unit or the echo unit. They are identical other than the color and the price. (i think, unless someone can prove me wrong?) I am going to go with the echo. Any thoughts?

Go for the Green
03-25-2005, 01:05 AM
I did a search on mini tillers, many differant opinions. I thought hard about the stihl yard boss but ruled that out based on the fact that the powerhead they use is the same they use on their homeowner trimmer unit. I have it narrowed down to a mantis 2 cycle unit or the echo unit. They are identical other than the color and the price. (i think, unless someone can prove me wrong?) I am going to go with the echo. Any thoughts?

Actually I have tried both over the years and the Echo lasted longer than the Mantis because of the handle set up. Great digging tines as well.

The Echo has a cross bar in the center of the handle which gives better support and makes it last longer without bending/breaking.

These little tillers are awesome! Major time saver!

Smalltimer1
03-25-2005, 01:16 AM
I have used mini-tillers before and in my opinion, they're just toys. They bounce off the rocky soil here, and barely scratch the surface, ineffective on clay or rocky soil. I'd go for a bigger tiller like a Troy-Bilt front tine for small jobs and rear tine for larger ones.

gunner27
03-25-2005, 01:25 AM
I have used mini-tillers before and in my opinion, they're just toys. They bounce off the rocky soil here, and barely scratch the surface, ineffective on clay or rocky soil. I'd go for a bigger tiller like a Troy-Bilt front tine for small jobs and rear tine for larger ones.
What mini tiller have you used? I have heard they are a real time saver as opposed to the hand tools.

spoolinaround
03-25-2005, 04:31 AM
I think both are about equal but the mantis tore up grass alot faster when we put in a small flowerbed (rented 2 mini-tillers for $40 instead of the big tiller for $75)

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-25-2005, 06:23 AM
I love my Mantis.......I have used to to edge sidewalks and driveways, and even flowerbeds. Definitely a good tool.

Derek

Go for the Green
03-25-2005, 08:45 AM
I think both are about equal but the mantis tore up grass alot faster when we put in a small flowerbed (rented 2 mini-tillers for $40 instead of the big tiller for $75)

The Echo and the Mantis are EXACTLY the same except for the handles. How could the Mantis "tear up the grass much faster??"

sheshovel
03-25-2005, 08:57 PM
yea but does Echo have a lifetime warantee on their tines like Mantis does?

Go for the Green
03-25-2005, 09:10 PM
yea but does Echo have a lifetime warantee on their tines like Mantis does?

Yep, they sure do. Lifetime tine warranty on Echo tillers plus a lifetime warranty on the ignition module!

sheshovel
03-26-2005, 01:59 PM
Do you happen to know if there is a big price diff in the two?I'm in the market for a replacement.

gene gls
03-26-2005, 10:17 PM
I have the Echo, works real good for a small machine doing small areas.

Gene

gunner27
03-27-2005, 01:51 AM
I am going to buy the echo, I will let you guys know how it works.