PDA

View Full Version : daffodils from seed

crawdad
03-25-2005, 10:16 AM
I planted some daffodils about ten years ago. Not sure of the variety, but they are bright yellow, with dark orange centers. A common color.
A few years ago, I spotted a patch of color in the woods behind our house, and checked it out. A couple of daffodils, nobody planted them, they came up wild. Birds spreading seeds, perhaps?
Well, I allowed the clump to grow, it's pretty big now, every spring i go pick some for my bride. These flowers are like no others in the holler, so here's my question.
Are daffodil seeds similar to apples, in that each seed starts a new variety, not the same as the parent?
Crawdad

crawdad
03-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Here's a pic of the daffoldils. I named them "Frannie's Beauties," named after the lovely and talented Mrs. Crawdad. These ones have been cut for a couple of days.

Garth
03-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Daffodils like any other plant are dependent of characteristics found in the parent plants. Hybrids and cultivars come from crossing two or more varieties. Hybrids can occur in nature but cultivars are purposely made. It's short for "cultivated variety". The picture you have may be a triandrus daffodil. Possibly either "Ice Wings 5W-W" or "Peggy White 2W-W". Daffs were not my forte. Usually have more than one flower per stem, and the perianth is very silky and reflexed. Between you and me though, I like "Frannies beauties" best.

Kate Butler
03-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Triandrus daffs are usually less substantial than those pictured. The pix look more like 'Mt. Hood' to me. Do they change color from beginning to end of bloom? 'Mt. Hood' opens white with cream trumpet and matures to white on white. Randomly planted daffs usually aren't reliable seeders (either in terms of volume of seeds or frequency of seed set). They can, indeed, grow something new unlike the parents, but it's not a common occurrence. How likely/possible is it that you brought in a couple of bulbs (hitchikers) in some dirt from another job, or raked up and discarded with some leaves?

crawdad
03-25-2005, 09:01 PM
They're out in the woods in the back yard, I haven't dumped any dirt out there. All of the daffodils I have planted have been in the front yard.
I have let my daffys go to seed a few times, as I have with my hostas.
Where the birds carry the seeds to is their business.
Here's what they look like "in the wild" The center is, as you say about "Mt Hood", yellow at first, then changes to nearly white after cutting.

crawdad
03-26-2005, 07:39 AM
They're not Triandrus, there's only one bloom per stem.

Grassmechanic
03-26-2005, 09:59 AM
The bulbs could have been "transplanted" there by some rather ambitious squirrels.

Garth
03-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks Kate,
The only daffs I see here are Jonquilla, Tazetta, and Poetica so needless to say, I have very little experience with them. They are quite striking aren't they?

WhohasHelios?
03-26-2005, 10:36 AM
The following HC's look really similar..I was searching the web for pics of them to no avail.
Narcissus, HC (large cupped)
'Pinafore'
'Dancing Partner'

bugspit
03-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Can you name this one?

bugspit
03-26-2005, 08:08 PM
How about this one?

WhohasHelios?
03-26-2005, 08:32 PM
The first one looks like a small cupped cultivar, perhaps 'Barrett Browning', or 'Verger', or 'Amor'

The second looks like the large cupped HC, either 'Golden Aura' or 'Camelot'

-Reuben

bugspit
03-26-2005, 08:37 PM
The first one looks like a small cupped cultivar, perhaps 'Barrett Browning', or 'Verger', or 'Amor'

The second looks like the large cupped HC, either 'Golden Aura' or 'Camelot'

-Reuben

Thanks,

the first one is the same size as the second one, might not look like it in the photo...fyi

Kate Butler
03-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Well, it could be "Barrett Browning": some photos show the cup your shade of orange/yellow and others show it VERY orange.

Garth
03-26-2005, 10:15 PM
Well, it could be "Barrett Browning": some photos show the cup your shade of orange/yellow and others show it VERY orange.
By the way, Kate, thank you for spelling "labour" correctly.

WhohasHelios?
03-27-2005, 04:25 AM
By the way, Kate, thank you for spelling "labour" correctly.

Love it...and second it :)

WhohasHelios?
03-27-2005, 04:27 AM
Thanks,

the first one is the same size as the second one, might not look like it in the photo...fyi

Are you positive of this?
Just to double check, you know that i am referring to the cup, not the flower in whole right?

I don't know how you you took those photos, but the orange cup looks to be about one third of the petals...Which is the general characteristic of HC small cups....

Either way.. :rolleyes:

Kate Butler
03-27-2005, 10:14 AM
For any of you who have a serious interest in daffs, I recommend VanEngelen.

www.vanengelen.com

They offer a fine selection of bulbs and a lot of information(but not so much that it's daunting) about the different classifications of daffs.

WhohasHelios?
03-27-2005, 10:44 AM
For any of you who have a serious interest in daffs, I recommend VanEngelen.

www.vanengelen.com

They offer a fine selection of bulbs and a lot of information(but not so much that it's daunting) about the different classifications of daffs.

Thank you for sharing that link Kate. :)

-Reuben