PDA

View Full Version : single axle bobcat trailer

rosolar
03-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Is there a way to modify a single axle trailer to hold a bobcat 553(3700 lbs). The gvw of the trailer now is 3500. Can I beef up the leaf springs or tires to make it hold the weight? thanks.

freddyc
03-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Is there a way to modify a single axle trailer to hold a bobcat 553(3700 lbs). The gvw of the trailer now is 3500. Can I beef up the leaf springs or tires to make it hold the weight? thanks.

Might be cheapest to sell that one and buy a good used one.

Adding another axle and frame work might be more expensive, then you have to make it legal, and then the center of gravity/tongue weight might be an issue. You can pick up a good used one and not invest time also. Just my $0.02. :waving:

Gilla Gorilla
03-25-2005, 05:21 PM
Also I am pretty sure if you go over the 3500# weight rating then you have to have brakes on that axle which would cost you a couple hundred to install also.

olderthandirt
03-25-2005, 05:26 PM
YES, cost effective NO!

TerraFirma Excavating
03-26-2005, 04:18 AM
You could beef up the axles and tires, but would still be over the design rating of the frame. If the trailer has an ID plate with the GVW, I don't know if you could get a new one to reflect any changes you make to the axle and tires.

You are probably 1000# over weight hauling your skidsteer. The GVWR of the trailer INCLUDES the weight of the trailer. So 3500# - 800# (guess weight of trailer) = 2700# load capacity. 3700# skidsteer would be about 1000# over this.

Is it hard to balance the load now with only one axle? Skidsteers are so heavy in the rear, depending if you load it forward or backwards, you are either running too much weight on the hitch or too light. Too little tongue weight would make the trailer sway creating a dangerous situation. Too much tongue weight could overload the the rear of the tow vehicle. This could transfer too much weight to the back of the truck and making the steering axle light, especially over bumps.

I would recommend buying a larger tandem axle trailer for hauling your skidsteer. You could keep your current trailer and use it for smaller equipment.

YardPro
03-26-2005, 09:05 AM
i also agree. buy a andem axle. It would be foolosh to try and use a single axle with the bobcat.

something else that has not been mentioned is saftey. If you have a flat while traveling. The single axle will begin swaying and could VERY EASIALLY flip the bobcat off the trailer.

Scag48
03-27-2005, 05:46 PM
TerraFirma is 100% correct, you must add the weight of the trailer when calculating GVW. Buy a double axle trailer rated for about 7,000 lbs. Might seems like too much of a trailer now, but will give you room to grow later. You should be able to buy a 16 foot 7,000 lb. trailer w/ramps for about $2500.