PDA

View Full Version : single axle bobcat trailer

rosolar
03-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Is there a way to modify a single axle trailer to hold a bobcat 553(3700 lbs). The gvw of the trailer now is 3500. Can I beef up the leaf springs or tires to make it hold the weight? thanks

Smalltimer1
03-25-2005, 01:36 PM
If I was you I'd sell it and get a heavier dual axle trailer. With a SA, you are constantly fighting with it while backing up. Also it is less stable than a double axle. The frame on your current trailer is not designed to carry a Bobcat, and chances are it doesn't have brakes on it either.

You can pick up a good dual axle trailer w/7000lb. cap. and brakes for less than $2000. It's better to be safe than sorry. You'll need a lot of extra capacity if you plan to take attachments with you.

Albemarle Lawn
03-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Northern Tool has heavier springs, but you are still challenging other components.

Got Welder? You could add another axle.

Or, swap for 5200 lb dexter axle and wheels, but you still have stability issues.

Or, load it heavy to the front, putting more weight on the hitch to get the axle to 3500 lbs.

You should also have trailer brakes in this weight class.

If you don't want to sell it, add an axle. Buy an axle with breaks and mount it in the forward location, you can relocate current axle farter back.

BEWARE if you have a 2" ball 3500 is usually max you might have to go to a 2-5/16" trailer ball.

Or, you could think versus bust-ur-azz and just buy a 2-axle ready to go.

Gravel Rat
03-27-2005, 04:50 PM
The biggest problem is trying to balance the tounge weight you would have to inch the machine forward or backwards to adjust the weight. Unloading the trailer it would be another story when the trailer lifts the back of the truck up in the air 4 feet.

I would get a tandem axle trailer and be done with it or put a flatdeck on a truck and carry the bobcat and use ramps to get it on and off.

drmiller100
03-28-2005, 11:30 PM
don't screw around. get a bigger trailer.
bobcats have one VERY interesting attribute when putting on a trailer. At least 85 percent of the weight is on the rear tires.
So, if you load it facing forward, you want the rear tires between the trailer tires for dual axle. facing backwards, you want the rear tires just in front of the front axle of the trailer.
This is harder to do then you think.
Also, do something to support the rear corner of the trailer when loading/unloading or you will bend the trailer.
BTDT.