PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hours later

tiedeman
03-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Well, every spring I check the lights and wiring on the trailer and once again this spring I had a problem. So I ended up replacing my wiring hook up running off from the truck, and replaced my lights (not the wiring) on the trailer. Works great now. I just wish I didn't have to go through this every spring.

Anybody have some suggestions on what to do to keep me from doing this every spring?

hole in one lco
03-25-2005, 06:43 PM
I take my wire harness off the truck every winter keeps it from corrodeing.

hole in one lco
03-25-2005, 06:47 PM
I got the marine trailer light to haven't replaced a bulb in 3 years.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-25-2005, 06:51 PM
I switched the tail lights over to a sealed beam, they are mounted in silicone to absorb shock and they are sealed to keep moisture out, works good , and I have heard alot good about LED's, but they are $$$$$

tiedeman
03-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I take my wire harness off the truck every winter keeps it from corrodeing.

never thought of that before. Would save me $26 each time

wanabe
03-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Put dielectric grease on your plugins, liquid tape or heatshrink tube on all the connections. I just ordered a new 18 footer and spec. it with all sealed beam l.e.d.s, cost 150 extra. I hope the will last.

tiedeman
03-25-2005, 07:32 PM
thanks for the info wanabe, I already grease the heck out of them with the dielectric

Roger
03-25-2005, 08:22 PM
I agree it is an annual ritual, trailer lights. My time is usually longer than two hours. I just replaced the trailer plug on Tuesday, and replaced connects near the lights. My connection to my pickup is a simple flat 4-way, and they don't last very long either. In the last case, one of the three male pins on the trailer side was pushed into the connecter enough it wasn't making good contact with the female connector on the pickup side.

My bulbs only last a couple of months, but the fixtures are cheap. Thanks for the tip on diaelectric grease. That sounds like an excellent idea.

Trailer lights -- so frustrating!!!!

QualityLawnCare4u
03-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Tiedman, I do the same thing every year. Wind up replacing just about the whole wiring system, takes about 2 hours.

cantoo
03-25-2005, 08:26 PM
I have at least 12 trailers that I use and the lights are always a pain. I have most of them rubber mounted and sealed beams and yesterday when I hooked up to one of the 16' and the left blinker doesn't work. My boys hooked up to a 10' and everything but the brake lights work. I really hate lights. I have a set of the magnetic ones to use if I have to.

wriken
03-25-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm getting ready to get my 20' trailer in the shop, going to completly rewire it. We had some braking problems last year. Also going to put a new prodigy brake controller in both of the haul trucks.

tiedeman
03-26-2005, 02:11 AM
I thought about that for a while Bernie. I thought that since I was going to the trouble of replacing the lights, and truck harness, that I might as well do the rest.

I also have thought about running tubing under the trailer and run wire through that to protect it more.