PDA

View Full Version : Sanding/Painting a trailer

Expert Lawns
03-25-2005, 08:02 PM
I am using an angle grinder to sand down my trailer. I am using a 40M pad. (i have no idea what that means) but it's working. Is this what you guys do? I have never sanded a trailer, especially with an angle grinder. Just want to make sure I do it correctly. What are the do's and don'ts?

lawnandplow42
03-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Do you have access to a sand blaster, or a place where you could rent one?

Expert Lawns
03-26-2005, 11:21 AM
I guess I could rent one but that's just more money that I have to spend. What are the advantages? Does it do a better job or is it just faster?

lawnandplow42
03-26-2005, 01:51 PM
from my experiences, its just easier. You can get in all the little spots. Its like painting with a spray can, instead of a brush.

nt1
03-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I have repainted and touched up my trailers several times.
I would just clean & lightly sand all the angle iron, square or round tubes, and any other larger surface areas. You really cannot sand effectively any of the expanded metal surfaces without a sand blaster but that ok, just clean the surfaces of dirt and grime(maybe a power washer but not necessary). Then I would use semi-gloss enamel spray paint cans or borrow a sprayer and have at it. Ideally you would want to sandblast that trailer for a perfect prep job before painting, but this is not a porsche with a perfect paint job and clear coat. I have done this several times and the results are very good.

Also, I assume you are taking about an open trailer.

Expert Lawns
03-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Yes it is an open trailer. I was just at my local trailer dealer buying some parts for my trailer brakes. He said that an angle grinder with a 40 or 80 pad would be fine to sand with. I just need to prime it asap, seeing how it's exposing bare metal right now. For the hard to reach areas I will just hand sand I guess. Thanks for the responses, you've been very helpful

Expert Lawns
03-26-2005, 07:12 PM
Here are some work-in-progess pictures. Just got done sanding. Getting ready to prime it.

Expert Lawns
03-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Primed and ready to paint (the front half)
I didn't wash the trailer before priming it because I didn't want to introduce any water to the exposed metal. Is it ok to lightly power wash it now that it's primed? I'd like to have it as clean as possible before painting, which may not take place for a day or two and it's sitting outside.

RedWingsDet
03-27-2005, 03:46 AM
thats sweet bro. Im painting the black one tommorrow. I powerwashed mine with my extremly high pressure bit. Its an 11hp engine on that sucker, and that with the high pressure bit took the paint right off. So tommarow im going to prime it twice and put like 3 coats of black paint on it. Then ill do the bearings because if yours needs em, most likely mine does too.

tiedeman
03-27-2005, 03:55 AM
where the heck is your snow at? Lucky man :cry: :cry:

RedWingsDet
03-27-2005, 03:59 AM
Everyones snow around here is melted. It was like 50 here today, well yesterday, and sopossed to be 50 again today :)

tiedeman
03-27-2005, 04:01 AM
that's it, I have had it. I am moving south.

RedWingsDet
03-27-2005, 04:03 AM
that's it, I have had it. I am moving south.

All I have to say is.... GIT R DUN! LOL. Im finally getting tired, how do I know? because im getting slap happy. lol.

tiedeman
03-27-2005, 04:03 AM
LMAO :) Are we going to just keep on playing forum tag between these two threads? :) LOL

RedWingsDet
03-27-2005, 04:06 AM
LMAO :) Are we going to just keep on playing forum tag between these two threads? :) LOL

LOL. I dont know. Im still awake so maybe... lmao

tiedeman
03-27-2005, 04:14 AM
alrighly then, well I think that I am going to stick to the Michigan thread for guys won't get mad that we are taking this thread off topic. See ya there

burnandreturn
03-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Just curious, how long did it take you to sand/grind yoiur trailer completely? How many hours?

Expert Lawns
03-27-2005, 11:48 AM
mark and troy......get a room (or forum). Mark is right, the snow down here is gone. sun has been out for 3 days and its been in the upper 40s lower 50s. Very nice weather to knock the cobwebs off the equipment.

burnandreturn, it took me about 2 hours to sand the entire trailer. This, however, does not include the tailgate. I am waiting to get some spot welding done, then I will sand and paint it. I will be putting 3 coats of high gloss fire engine red on it. Then stripe it with some reflective tape

Expert Lawns
03-27-2005, 11:56 AM
and it only took about 1/2 hour to prime it

Drew Gemma
03-27-2005, 12:20 PM
What has worked for me is wet sand blast the trailer. I pay a guy $100 and he does it all plus pressure wash the wood floor. I take all the light off and he does it. Then spray it with a prep coat, then primer twice then use commercial truck coating for semi - trucks. It doesn't chip or scratch that easy. about every 3 years I would re do the trailer. Also you should re pack the wheel bearings every 10 to 12 thousand miles. You can also buy special bearings that have a bulls eye and it forces any grease back into the bearing as you drive they are pretty neat.

Expert Lawns
03-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Primed and ready to paint (the front half)
I didn't wash the trailer before priming it because I didn't want to introduce any water to the exposed metal. Is it ok to lightly power wash it now that it's primed? I'd like to have it as clean as possible before painting, which may not take place for a day or two and it's sitting outside.

any responses?

grass_cuttin_fool
03-27-2005, 12:28 PM
I would get a ''tack rag'' and go over it with that and not have any moisture on the trailer before I painted it

burnandreturn
03-27-2005, 12:41 PM
I would not power wash the primer. What brand and type of primer did you use? Check the label on the primer. Many times there is a window of time to recoat. If you wait too long you must sand the primer or there will be a loss of adhesion of your top coat, it will flake off quite easily. Due to the nature of your business you need the best paint job you can get if you want the finish to stand up to the constant washing and abuse equipment trailers go through. I have attached a couple of photo's of the type of equipment we refinish. All oilfield equipment.

nt1
03-27-2005, 12:43 PM
If the primer is fully cured I do not think a lite power washing would hurt but be sure to dry it off- towels & the backpack blower would work. In a couple days when your ready to paint it, go over it to remove dust that has settled on it with tack cloth, towels, etc. If possible, I would wait for a warm day to paint. Also, any airborne particles will settle on the paint if you do so outside. (small bits of dust and such)

Expert Lawns
03-27-2005, 01:42 PM
What is the safest way to clean your brushes? Simple question, but I HATE doing it, just wondering if you guys had any better methods. Thanks

RedWingsDet
03-27-2005, 03:13 PM
I just got back from painting mine. I primed it twice and put 3 coats of high gloss black on it. It made a world of difference. now tommorrow when im working, I wont look like a sleeze ball :cool2: payup

Expert Lawns
03-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey Mark, did your first coat look like crap? I just did my first coat and I can see a lot of brush marks. Also, the red paint and brown primer is making the trailer look a nasty brownish orange. Hopefully this will go away after the 2nd or 3rd coat

Expert Lawns
03-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Here's another update. You can see what I've sanded, primed and painted and what hasn't been touched yet. I've finished the outside. Now I have to powerwash the inside rails and paint them, then power wash the floor and treat it. Tailgate will be last since it still needs some welding done.

This is 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of fire engine red

Expert Lawns
03-29-2005, 08:07 PM
You can see the difference between the rails and tailgate

Expert Lawns
03-29-2005, 08:08 PM
Another view..............

LB Landscaping
03-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Looks good Expert. I'll be doing mine next week.

RedWingsDet
03-29-2005, 09:58 PM
mine turned out fine after the first coat, i primed it twice and 3 coats of spray paint. Ill take pix tommorrow.

Expert Lawns
03-29-2005, 11:10 PM
I kinda wish I sprayed it. Thats how I painted my other trailers and they had a better finish. I'm not about to sand this down and start over. Maybe next year

grass_cuttin_fool
03-30-2005, 08:31 AM
I always like to brush the paint on, seemed to get a thicker coat of paint on it , the thing I didnt like about spraying a trailer was it looked better, but the paint was usually thin and would get knocked off easier

Expert Lawns
03-30-2005, 05:35 PM
thats reassuring since i'm putting 3 coats on it. this trailer better be indestructable

N.H.BOY
03-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey Expert, how long have you had this trailer? Did you buy it new and had to repaint it two or three years later? Just wondering how long it takes for a trailer to look like that being all rusted and all. Mine is new last year and I went around it before I put it away for the winter and touch up the dents and scratches. Up here in the northeast we to get alot of snow and rust :angry: O'well . It looks great what you have done so far. Thanks for putting up the picks and keeping us up dated on the looks of the trailer. :D

N.H.BOY
03-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Hey Expert I forgot to ask ya if you had a "plate" for that trailer jack? If it's just that pole I would think it would go down deep on hot payment and or grass! Just my two cents. Again looks like great work in progress.

RedWingsDet
03-31-2005, 07:59 PM
heres some pix of my trailer

Expert Lawns
03-31-2005, 08:08 PM
NH Boy, I bought it used about a month ago and have yet to use it. My last trailer lasted 4 years and I saw almost no rust at all. That trailer never saw the snow and salt, I kept it stored inside. That makes a huge difference. The trailer jack you commented on is only the pole, I haven't bought the wheel for it yet. The ground isn't even close to getting hot enough for it to penetrate through, but believe me, I have seen it happen and thank god I know better. Thanks for the compliments on my trailer. All I need now is some different tires and she'll be ready for summer.

Mark, did you treat the floor with anything? I don't remember it being that color or in that good of shape, but maybe I didn't pay close enough attention.

RedWingsDet
03-31-2005, 08:24 PM
Mark, did you treat the floor with anything? I don't remember it being that color or in that good of shape, but maybe I didn't pay close enough attention.

I didnt treat it, but my 11hp powerwasher works WONDERS!!!

RedWingsDet
04-01-2005, 06:47 PM
I got a new camera, so I took some more pix of it today.

Heres the back of it...

RedWingsDet
04-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Heres a side view of the trailer...

Your prolly wondering why the bricks... but I did a patio install this week, and those are the extras and I was to tired yesterday to take em off. LOL

LB Landscaping
04-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Hey premier, when you said you primed it twice and sprayed three times did you use "spray paint" or an air compressor paint? Just wondering for my own trailer.

RedWingsDet
04-01-2005, 09:51 PM
spray paint. I also baught this sweet trigger for like $3 that you put on the can so you dont kill ur finger! Best $3 I ever spent, well maybe not, but it sure did save my finger!

LB Landscaping
04-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Cool. Where did you get the trigger???

i_plant_art
04-01-2005, 09:59 PM
all u need now is some 20" dubbss for that read trailer and ull be pimpin..... or maybe some spinners.... LOL nice work man i wish i had the time to do stuff like that around here. looks good.

RedWingsDet
04-01-2005, 10:00 PM
got the trigger at HD, right next to the cans :cool2:

LB Landscaping
04-01-2005, 10:02 PM
My finger thanks you!!!!! :D :D :D

Expert Lawns
04-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Mark, what are the chains for on the rear gate? Looks like something to do with the pins to hold it up. As you know, I need a few of those for mine. Just wondering what works best. Trailer looks great by the way

RedWingsDet
04-01-2005, 11:42 PM
chains are so if I drop the pins, I dont have to worry about loosing them. The chain is attached to the pin and the angle iron. And thanks for the compliment. It only took 1-2 hours to prep and paint.

Expert Lawns
04-02-2005, 10:57 AM
how strong is your power washer again?

RedWingsDet
04-02-2005, 11:27 AM
11hp. i forget the psi, ill take a pic of it. im going to work now, its raining but I wanna get this stuff done. Im putting in railroad ties today.

RedWingsDet
04-02-2005, 05:40 PM
Heres a pic.

RedWingsDet
04-02-2005, 05:40 PM
one more pic for ya...