PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice with Driveway problem

Billz
03-26-2005, 03:18 PM
I have a friend who has a 1/4 mile driveway, 10 ft wide, and it is just mud basically. She had a driveway company come out and bid 15,000 for blacktop. She doesn't want to pay that much, is there a way to stop the drive from going to a pit every spring? Gravel maybe? I am looking for ideas, she would like to know if I can help her and find some alternatives to the 15000 bill! LOL

Does anyone lay gravel here? Does anyone have any ideas that could help?
Thanks.

cgland
03-26-2005, 04:31 PM
You could lay down some modified stone for the time being, but this is only a bandaid. Your problems will persist every year as, undoubtedly she will need snow removal and the plow will just push the stone away. At the cost of putting in a substantial stone base she might as well go with the asphalt. $15,000 seems like a GREAT price for a 1/4 mile. I would jump on it. She will appreciate the difference.

Chris

promower
03-26-2005, 04:47 PM
$15,000 is one heck of a great deal, I would personally question the company that gave her the bid for such a great price. If it was my driveway and the comapny was reputable I would jump all over that. I dont think there are to many if any alternatives to her problem, she may just have to bite the bullet on this one and giter-done.

MarcSmith
03-26-2005, 07:10 PM
when I worked for TGLC, our drive went to heck every year and the bandaid we used was to regrade, dump crush-n-run (21-a blue stone) and roll it.....we were only out the actual hard materials....as we used in house labor to grade and roll....the ruts and pot holes came back every year....never did get it blacktopped as the county would not let us....our drive was off a dirt road, whatever difference that made....Down south they use crushed oyster shells. another option is to find a blacktop company that is grinding old asphalt and see if you could buy that, it does pack resonably well....

ksmmoto
03-26-2005, 11:20 PM
I reworked a driveway for my neighbor last fall with recycled concrete. It was easy to spead and packed down real well. I am going to pour a concrete drive for myself this summer, drive isn't real big.

ksmmoto

Laurentian
04-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Check into soil stabilization Fabrics. My supplier carrys up to 12.5' x 108' for $124 per roll. Then lay your base of class 5 and compact. Good luck..