PDA

View Full Version : How many?

Dodgemania
03-26-2005, 11:20 PM
This season I will be doing all the landscaping for a nursery next to the house. She's been in business for 10 years. Her and several helpers operate the nursery. She's mainly interested in the sale of the plants not the install. Had a guy in the past help her on the installs but is no longer int the industry. She say's she get 30-35 jobs a year. Sounds great for me!

I was wondering how many people do this kind of thing? She'll give me the jobs and I'll go to the customers and come up with the design. And I have to use her plants. Wich is understandable.

newmoonfarm
03-27-2005, 10:42 AM
my wife and i have a farm/nursery. since our children are graduated/graduating from school we're expanding into landscaping and installations.
if our first jobs are any indication i should kick myself for not doing this sooner. it seems to be a natural fit for us. plus my wife loves to see the homes her plants are going to.

AGLA
03-28-2005, 07:29 AM
Landscape contractors make their money by marking up labor and materials. In other words, you are cutting off one hand. But, if it helps you get started and gain a reputation, it may be worth it to you.

The other guy either figured that out and is buying wholesale somewhere else, or did not make enough money are my guesses.

kris
03-28-2005, 08:15 AM
While what AGLA is saying is true, can you also sell hardscaping, ponds etc etc and not have to cut her in? Could be a great way for you to build your business ....worth a try IMO.

Dodgemania
03-28-2005, 10:42 AM
I can definately find plants cheaper some where else. I don't do hardscaping and ponds right now. The landscaping is something I'm really interested in but it's more of a side venture for me right now. One good thing is that I don't have to advertise for it, although I can't mark the plants up I can mark my labor up a notch.

Coffeecraver
03-28-2005, 03:24 PM
I would at least get a 1/3 of what the job goes for.

:rolleyes:

AGLA
03-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Certainly, this could be a good way for you to get started. It is more of an investment in your time, but it is a way for you to get experience and have some support in terms of plant knowledge from the nursery person. With little experience, you are not going to get many jobs on your own and you won't have a plant person that has an interest in you succeding. If it does not work, what have you lost - nothing, you will have learned something.