PDA

View Full Version : You guys in the bobcat business.

Dodgemania
03-26-2005, 10:53 PM
I do landscaping and mowing but branched off pretty strong with running my cat skidloader last year. Doing alot of grading, concrete tearouts, and genral work. Last year was the first with the skidloader. I didn't stay as busy with it as I would have liked. Twice last year I went through dry spells with no work. But when I was working sometimes seven day a week for awhile or until the calls stopped I was bringing in the kind of money that I dreamed of. I run my operation solo with part-time help occasionally.

My question for you veterans, is how many years didn't it take you to have enough work to stay busy all week long 9-10 months out of the year.

I've really stepped up the advertising and it seems that I'm starting to meet people (builders, remodlers,ect.), that are giving me several jobs here and there through the year. It seems that it's coming around but slowly.

If I can keep that loader busy for 9 to 10 months out of the year I'll be like a kid in a candy shop. Any advice is appreciated.

JustUsDe
03-27-2005, 09:05 AM
It sounds like you are doing all the right things already. It will take time to get the word out. Most importantly a reputation for quick response and for doing great work. Also network with other lawn care businesses. Some are small and cant afford to buy one and they rent one. You can competitively show them it would be better to sub that kind of work to you. I don't know what the weather is like in your area but we cant get 9 to 10 months of operation due to weather. My skid-steers are commited to snow removal only from Nov.15th to April 15th. After that we take on other work. Another area I found that makes a few bucks is site preparation for sheds and small garages. Network with area prefab builders of sheds and garages. I have a few that recommends us to their customers to level the site and prepare for the delivery of their building. I hope I helped you some.
Ray

Dodgemania
03-27-2005, 10:29 AM
I appreciate the response. I try not to stick to mainly grading, and do a wide range of work with the skidloader. Just trying to minimize the down time. How long have you been at it with your loader.

ksss
03-27-2005, 03:55 PM
I have been in the business for 10 years. Looking back if I had to pick one piece of equipment that made the biggest impact was adding a mini excavator. It dramatically expands what you can do. Skid steers are so plentyful now days that it is hard to set yourself apart. Especially when they can be rented for a couple hundred dollars. Having the capability of both a skid steer and an excavator makes a big difference. Since I increased the size of my excavator last year 7.5K to 12K I can take on most any job that comes my way. I like to excavate several house foundations in late fall. This gives me something to do when its slow and brings in income in the winter. I usually rent a large excavator or pay a larger excavation company to just dig the hole and I do the backfilling, utilities, final grading and landscaping. We do a lot of business with concrete companies. Some even though they have their own machines don't care to prep. They have a skid steer as a last resort. If your tight with your grading they an excellent client.

The second biggest advantage was adding a high capacity skid steer. The 3000+ ROC machines are incredibly productive. I can load with any backhoe, power any attachment (I have high flow on it). The two speed, with ride control and an 84" bucket makes for a great dirt mover.

bobcatboy
03-27-2005, 10:49 PM
I am with ksss on this one. Adding a compact excavator is the best way to set yourself apart in the small excavtion business. Most people wont have a truck big enough to pull one from a rental store let alone try there hand at getting one and doing any kind of work, they just look intimidating.

Planet Landscaping
03-28-2005, 05:00 AM
Just added a Mini X to our fleet :waving:

Green Pastures
03-29-2005, 08:26 AM
One of the Cat 314C Hydraulic Excavators is next for me. Having a MTL and one of these absolutely set's you apart. Course you need a serious truck and trailer to carry a 314 around. If you have the equipment to do the work the work will come.

Scag48
03-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Green Pastures, those 314's sure are nice aren't they? I ran a 312CL about a week ago and was in love with that machine. How's that 257 treating you? I've been waiting to hear from you how it's been working out. Thanks.

SouthernYankee
04-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Hey everyone,

I know that a lot of people on this site, hate rough ideas when it comes to prices, but I was wanting to know what yall get for the following?

whole 8hr day of man/bobcat?

Half day man / bobcat

Per hour man/ bobcat

I am just looking for averages, since I am getting back into the buisness after being in school for 4 years. thanks

vntgrcr
04-06-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey everyone,

I know that a lot of people on this site, hate rough ideas when it comes to prices, but I was wanting to know what yall get for the following?

whole 8hr day of man/bobcat?

Half day man / bobcat

Per hour man/ bobcat $80/HR FOR CAT 257 MTL WITH 3 HR MINIMUM

I am just looking for averages, since I am getting back into the buisness after being in school for 4 years. thanks
$80/HR FOR CAT 257 MTL WITH 3 HR MINIMUM, I AM LOCATED IN MASS.

Scag48
04-07-2005, 01:42 AM
$75 an hour here for our skidsteer with a bucket, $95 an hour for trencher or Harley rake. We have a $200 minimum and a full day (8 hrs.) goes for $550. These prices are for machine and operator.

Green Pastures
04-07-2005, 08:42 AM
$85 an hour for MTL with a bucket or pallet forks.

$100 an hour with Harley rake or auger.

$250 minimum charge.

$600 for 8 hours.

All prices include machine and operator.

I really had no idea what I would charge until after I bought mine..... ;)