PDA

View Full Version : Azaleas down and out: transplantable?

Mark McC
03-27-2005, 03:13 PM
I have a customer whose three azaleas in the back yard are very pale and have brown tips on the leaves. The soil back there hasn't dried out appreciably since 2002 as best as I can tell. We had a HUGE rainfall in '03 and substantial rain here in July and August last year, which is typically a dry season.

To give these plants a chance, I would be inclined to replant them in a box that's a couple of inches higher than the surrounding ground just to improve drainage, but as weak as they look, I have a hunch they won't survive being uprooted. Any comments?

WhohasHelios?
03-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Sounds to me like you wont be losing much by trying....

I am in a very warm climate, and here I have had great success transplanting Rhodo's and Azalea's.

Use a good bone meal when you do it. And cut off anywood that looks like its not doing as well as it could be.

-Reuben

Coffeecraver
03-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Mites and water conditions can give you those symptoms

You should dig one up and examine the root system.

If the roots are black then it is a sure sign of too much water and raising them should help.

If the azalia is in the same shape as it was when it was pulled from the pot when it was planted,then breaking up the roots before the re-plant will be helpful.

Do a search on mites and azalias look at the symptoms and compare them to the ones the azalias have.

:)

sheshovel
03-29-2005, 01:58 PM
If the soil never drys out or hasent done so in the last three years I'm suprised they are surviving at all.Move them NOW.Make the potting soil on the acid side and add some sand well mixed in.These plants need drainage.Be very carefull with the roots disturb them as little as possible when moving the plants and tell your client she could buy new ones for what she's gonna pay you to move the old ones.She will get new ones and you still get the $ for planting them.

Mark McC
04-03-2005, 11:20 AM
tell your client she could buy new ones for what she's gonna pay you to move the old ones.She will get new ones and you still get the $ for planting them.

I thought about that. It's funny sometimes how people want to save old plants when it isn't gonna cost them a dime more to just replace 'em.

sheshovel
04-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Yea sometimes people are so used to being thrifty they end up loosing instead of gaining and I think as professionals we need to point that out to them and then let them decide.

Adamma Landscape Group
04-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Mark CC,
Even if you amend the soil you will not save the plants. The maximum she will spend for new azeleas is $19.99 each. Why cant she buy new ones and you install for her? The plants look that way because something is wrong with them. Why save them?