PDA

View Full Version : Please help with this decision. What would you do?

KB
05-10-2000, 02:07 PM
I bought a Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48" in Feb. I cut part time with 10-12 residential customers. My average cutting time (with the walk behind) is approximately 30-40 min although I do have a couple that take a little over an hour and I cut both flat and hilly terrain. I did not buy a rider because I did not know if the work (or income) would be there. Well it is, although I do not intend to take on any more customers. All of my equipment is paid for and I love the money that I am saving, but I would really have enjoyed a Lazer and am comtemplating trading the walk behind on a Exmark Lazer HP 48". If I do so, I will lose approximately $650 on my walk behind and owe about an additional $2800 for a mower of the same size. Since everything else is paid for, I could afford to take on the small payment but would I be making a bad "financial decision" just for the sake of the enjoyment and little bit of productivity increase of the rider. What would you do?

geogunn
05-10-2000, 03:12 PM
kb--I would probably be as confused as you over the situation and probably get the lazer. BUT, it would be for the wrong reason. you are confused because you want the lazer, not because you need the lazer.<p>but then life is short. why shouldn't you have what you want if it is within reason?<p>I say go or it. no wait! you dont need it!<p>GEEEZZZ! glad I'm not in your position. let us know what you do. good luck.<p>GEO

Toroguy
05-10-2000, 03:47 PM
KB,<br>I am not an advocate of unnecessary debt. A high P/E ratio means you have to work. I choose to work. <p>I dont know your situation, thats how I play the game.

gusbuster
05-10-2000, 06:17 PM
Kb,<br>So many people in general have gotten into bad positions because they wanted something.<p>Ask yourself this question. Do I need it? You already said you didn't want to take on additional account. So I would have to answer no to the above question.<p>You can't make money if your always spending money, but you can't make money if you won't spend money. I would get the Lazer only if you intend to take additional work.<br>Jean<p>----------<br>J-LC Landscaping & Maintenance Gardening<br>C-27 Ca Contr# 770044

columbiaplower
05-10-2000, 07:40 PM
Go for it. I have 3 wb and was doing about 60 weekly and bi-weekly acounts i than added a 52in lazer hp and i picked up 10 new acounts. AND i was doing 70 in less than i did 60. And go with the 52, the 4in make a differince and the price is not that much difference.<p>-Nick

Mowman
05-10-2000, 09:22 PM
KB, if your reason for looking at the rider is you are tired of walking check out a Pro-Slide stand on for your WB. You can check one out on their website. The address is novaecorp.com I think they go for about $300.00. Could save you several thousand $. Well hope this helps. Mowman<br>

Acute Cut
05-11-2000, 01:39 AM
I have TONS of experiece here. I would definately say stay with the walk behind. Exmark makes a &quot;seat&quot; for the walk behind mowers. If you buy the bigger mower then you are defeating the purpose of making the money in the first place. You are just experiencing the common &quot;Tim Allen-bigger, better, more power&quot; modo that all men feel.<br>ALSO<br>If your hilly terrain is like mine, (pain in the neck, wet, and slippery) then you will appreciate your ground based maneuverablitiy. I once slipped into a ditch with a Lazer (Scag version of the exmark-forget name) and felt really lucky i didnt get more hurt. The Lazer will do nothing more for you really other than make you feel cool and manly. haha. I do 60 a week with my 52&quot; exmark/velke and my 36&quot;exmark/velke.

Proturf
05-11-2000, 11:02 PM
Acute Cut: <p>How well does your exmark 36 work with the velke? Is it hydro or belt drive? Is the 36 heavy enough to pull you around without any problems?

Acute Cut
05-12-2000, 02:36 AM
ProTurf:<br>It works well when i am lazy and it is a TOTALLY dry day and i am on a FLAT surface. That is one lawn out of 60. lol. It IS heavy enough, but i have a belt drive. I had a 60 turf ranger (used but mint) and traded it away for the 36 belt drive. I thought it would save time. I wanted to strangle someone as i was PUSHING (note frustration while typing) the ... (^#*&)belt-drive up a VERY slight hill. I was very perterbed to say the least. I will NEVER get another belt again. I am putting it up for sale next week. 3600-comes with mulch kit and velke. I will swear by my hydro all day long. The little tank never stops. A 36&quot; hydro will pull you UP some pretty steep stuff.<p>Along with this question i have to state that i am personnaly looking into a dual wheel mount. I looked at the junglejims and was impressed. The single wheel velke leaves a third track. The track wobbles and sways and really takes away from a beautifully mowed lawn. AND, to tack to that, if it is wet the velke single wheel makes little (wheel width) canyons that destroy a lawn. And if you are going fast then you really got problems while cornering. I am thinking the dual wheel will follow in same tracks and look better. I am curious about the backing and whether or not to buy swivel or stationary wheels. I think ill start a post on it. Hope i helped. Write again if i missed any thing.<br>Note:This is just my opinion. I could be wrong.

MOW ED
05-12-2000, 07:00 AM
Contact your Exmark dealer and tell him/her? you are interested in the mower you described above. See if you can use a demo for a mowing cycle. You will get an idea of how it works for the lawns that you mow. <br>I have a walk behind hydro with a slide as well as a Walker and each piece has its place. I had an idler pulley go on the Walker last week and decided to use my walkbehind for all lawns the next day. It did the job but I had one tired walkbehinder and I was slower than usual.<br>It can't hurt to ask. Good Luck.