View Full Version : Licensing Questions Maryland Home Improvement Commission MHIC

03-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Ok here is the text from the examination. It says i can use 1 years worth of my 2 years needed for being a business owner. Anyone have any guess or guide to finding an employer, and if i could work for any company, like a roofing company or a regular construction firm??

In accordance with Business Regulation Article, Section 8-
302.2 and the corresponding Regulation, COMAR,, trade experience is defined below. Listed
experience MUST be verifiable. If experience cannot be
verified, or is questionnable, the application will be returned
to applicant. If an applicant questions PSI's decision
regarding eligibility to take the exam, the applicant must
submit a written request to the attention of the Executive
Direcor for review by the Commission .
A. Trade Experience.
(1) An applicant for a home improvement
contractor's license shall have at least 2 years
of trade experience.
(2) "Trade experience" includes one or more of the
(a) Participation in a registered apprenticeship
(b) Employment in performing home
(c) Employment in performing commercial or
residential construction, repairs, or
(d) Participation in a community service or
charitable building or renovation program;
(e) Performing repairs and improvements which
require a building permit on one's home or
the home of family members.
(3) Experience as a licensed home improvement
salesperson for at least 2 years may be credited
as trade experience, if the Home Improvement
Commission determines that the applicant has
gained substantial knowledge of the operation
of a home improvement business.
B. Business Experience in Other Areas. Experience in
the capacity of supervisor, manager, or owner of a
business may be substituted for 1 year of the
required trade experience, based on a review by
the Home Improvement Commission, or an
applicant for a home improvement contractor's
license may substitute for the required trade
experience educational training in: Vocational school training in a building
trade; or
(2) Participation in a building trade work-study
C. Experience or educational qualifications of
applicants for a home improvement contractor's
license who have documented handicaps shall be
considered by the Commission on an individual

03-28-2005, 12:04 AM
You have to have 1 year experience working for someone else in the same field for which you are applying. ex. 1 year working for a landscape contractor if you are DBA a landscape contractor.

03-28-2005, 12:08 AM
I am sorry 2 years as you stated. LOL

03-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Do they use the business owner ship as 1 year?

I have 3 months of work with a mhic landscaping company from a year or so ago.

Do they ask for a w2 or how to they get proof of employment? And THANK YOU in advance. You would think it would be easier to get this information being that everyone wants everyone else to be completly legit.

Thanks sooo much

03-28-2005, 12:44 AM
I had to have a previous employer fill out a form which stated that i had such experience with him for that period of time.

04-08-2005, 10:41 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop

04-08-2005, 10:42 PM