PDA

View Full Version : What's on your feet?

vipermanz
03-28-2005, 01:20 AM
Workshoes that is.. I have a pair of leather steel toe boots but i noticed the other day that they were heavy and actually slowing me down. I went shopping around for something lighter and ended up at sears, i narrowed it down to the 2 lightest i could find, Caterpillar and Timberland Pro. I went ahead and got the timberland but it made me wonder if anyone else had that problem. I knew i wanted lighter but i didn't want to sacrifice ankle protection either. this is what i got,http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1838149&cp=1762199.1780841.1780822&parentPage=family what do you have?

BCSteel
03-28-2005, 02:57 AM
I use terra wildsiders for the spring/fall/winter and dakota saftey shoes for the summer. My feet we cooking me alive in the summers in the leather boots but the dakotas are WCB/CSA approved as well and with breathable material and less than half the weight it makes a big difference in the hot summer months.

breck75
03-28-2005, 04:10 AM
I have found the most comfortable boot is a Wolverine Durashock. The only problem is that they are not steel toes. I don't know if you can get them with steel toes or not. When I was an Iron Worker I would were my boots everywhere. I actually think they are as comfortable as tennis shoes. Breck :waving:

AL Inc
03-28-2005, 06:55 AM
I wear the Timberland Pros also and I really like them. Well worth the money.

wissel_landscaping
03-28-2005, 06:58 AM
I also like the Wolverine Durashock, i dont like steel toe to heavy to walk in all day.

Mo Green
03-28-2005, 06:59 AM
I know I probably shouldn't, but I wear a pair of Nike running shoes. Very lightweight and comfortable. Some guys say they wear steel toed shoes to protect their feet from an accident with mower blades. I don't think there is a steel toed shoe on the market that could protect your foot from a blade moving at 18,500 RPMs.

wojo23323
03-28-2005, 07:09 AM
Redwing boots. No steel toe, but waterproof. I was standing in 3" of water last week for 15 minutes and my feet stayed dry.

lawnman_scott
03-28-2005, 07:13 AM
I know I probably shouldn't, but I wear a pair of Nike running shoes. Very lightweight and comfortable. Some guys say they wear steel toed shoes to protect their feet from an accident with mower blades. I don't think there is a steel toed shoe on the market that could protect your foot from a blade moving at 18,500 RPMs.
I do the same. I also beleive if your feet are under a ztr that you are supposed to be riding, you have bigger problems.

ProMo
03-28-2005, 07:35 AM
I wear magnum hi tech they are very light weight

Joel B.
03-28-2005, 07:40 AM
I wear a boot made by "Vasque" with Gore-tex waterproofing. They are very waterproof but don't breath at all and sometimes your feet get wet anyway from sweat. I also get a heat rash on my ankles sometimes in very hot weather from them, so I just wear tennis shoes in the real hot weather.

Joel B.

K&L Landscaping
03-28-2005, 07:41 AM
Danner Super Rain Forest! Waterproof and fairly lightweight for a boot of it's quality.

bayfish
03-28-2005, 07:42 AM
I wear Wolverine steel toes. Very comforable. In summer, Survivor low cut steel toes(Walmart)

AL Inc
03-28-2005, 07:43 AM
I understand what you guys are saying about tennis shoes, but wouldn't you rather have boots on when you drop a heavy catcher of grass or a piece of stone on your foot? I know I have had that happen mores time than I can count.

Blades of Steel
03-28-2005, 08:07 AM
This is my second pair of these. I picked up a different pair at the outlet last week. I have to have the water proofing. I hate having wet feet.

http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1773958&cp=1779791.1761081.1779707&parentPage=family

Jpocket
03-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Old 6inch Timberlands waterproof

LB Landscaping
03-28-2005, 08:23 AM
Timberland Pro steel toe boots. They are very comfotable, waterproof and last.

genesis landscapes
03-28-2005, 09:07 AM
old pair of sneekers here!! :gunsfirin

lawnlubber
03-28-2005, 09:40 AM
Brahma Boots steel toe w/ 2 sets of Dr. Scholls in them.

Lawnchoice
03-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Workshoes that is.. I have a pair of leather steel toe boots but i noticed the other day that they were heavy and actually slowing me down. I went shopping around for something lighter and ended up at sears, i narrowed it down to the 2 lightest i could find, Caterpillar and Timberland Pro. I went ahead and got the timberland but it made me wonder if anyone else had that problem. I knew i wanted lighter but i didn't want to sacrifice ankle protection either. this is what i got,http://www.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1838149&cp=1762199.1780841.1780822&parentPage=family what do you have?
I have the same ones!

You will like them!

BCSteel
03-28-2005, 09:54 AM
Steel toe boots/shoes may not be the lightest but are you covered by insurance if you cut some toes off or smash up your foot if you only have runners or non steel toe boots on?

MarcSmith
03-28-2005, 10:19 AM
Used to wear the Hitech steelies...just like wearing sneakers, but better ankle support. I have since changed to Rocky
for winter use
http://www.rockyboots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&levelId=4&categoryId1=10103&categoryId2=10111&categoryId3=10138&categoryId4=10605&categoryId=&productId=36162&parent_category_rn=10605
for spring summer
http://www.rockyboots.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&productId=37178&langId=-1

always was a big fan of lace up. I have two pairs of Justin Cowboy boots for dress up and meetings...

ndunn
03-28-2005, 11:28 AM
Timberlands are great, but I have a pair of the caterpillars. It took four months to break the buggers in, but four years later I'm thinking about getting some new ones because they just don't have that sharp new shoe look anymore. But still they are solid. I've dropped pallets on my feet, stepped on nails, moved burning logs, pulled pallet jackes into my ankles with over 2000lbs of junk on them, waded across rivers, and I once used the laces to lower a baby from the fourth floor window of a burning building. I like Timberlands for hiking because they are light and breathe, but I'm a bumbling clumsy worker so I gotta have heavy duty the rest of the time.

proenterprises
03-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Timberland Pro workboots here. Great boots!

Scottish LScape
03-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Redwings summer
Timberland Winter

Eho
03-28-2005, 11:42 AM
I wear a pair of comfortable running shoes...very lighweight and comfortable
EHO

siclmn
03-28-2005, 12:18 PM
ECCO brand from Nordstrom's. I have had every kind of shoe in the past 20 years and they always end up leaking where the leather contacts the sole. Redwings are stitched at that point and all the others are glued. They are all great when they are new but they don't last over a year. The salesman claims that the ECCO'S are bonded but not glued and with a very generous overlap at this point implying that these will be the best ones yet.. I will find out. They cost $200.

jpmako
03-28-2005, 12:22 PM
ECCO brand from Nordstrom's. I have had every kind of shoe in the past 20 years and they always end up leaking where the leather contacts the sole. Redwings are stitched at that point and all the others are glued. They are all great when they are new but they don't last over a year. The salesman claims that the ECCO'S are bonded but not glued and with a very generous overlap at this point implying that these will be the best ones yet.. I will find out. They cost $200.

I have two pairs of them. Ecco Tracks they are called. They are the most comfortable shoe money can buy! But a little too nice for work IMO.
That is what I use the old pair for.

Jason

Lawn Pros
03-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Timberland Pro is the way to go I have worn a pair around 2yrs and they hold up good!

Toy2
03-28-2005, 12:26 PM
I was wearing some sneakers, got tired of throwing away socks......grass and dirt, remembered wearing Hi-Tec's in law enforcement. thats what I have on now....good boot, no dirt!! :)

Lance L
03-28-2005, 01:19 PM
redwing steel toe boots, w/ goretex lining.

they were 170 but my last pair lasted over 2 years and my feet stay nice and dry. and they are very comfortable. o and i use 21's so i do a ton of walking... :D

skurtz78
03-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Last year I bought 9 pairs of the Tecnica Gortex shoes and they are the best shoes I have ever owned. 3 pairs were like running shoes and the rest were boots. It took a few days to break some of them in but I have yet to throw a pair out they have held up good. They are a little expensive from 80 to 150 a pair but I got a good deal of all 9 pairs for around 200. Dont think ill ever find that kind of a deal again.

TClawn
03-28-2005, 01:50 PM
I wear timber land construction boots. they really grip the sides of hills well, and are extremely comfortable. only thing I don't like about them, is there a bit on the heavy side. they were around $90

GreenMonster
03-28-2005, 01:51 PM
I understand what you guys are saying about tennis shoes, but wouldn't you rather have boots on when you drop a heavy catcher of grass or a piece of stone on your foot? I know I have had that happen mores time than I can count.

I agree with Al. There are a lot more hazards in this trade then sticking your foot under a running deck. Trailer gates, hardscape materials, mulching with pitchforks, digging with shovels,string trimming, running your foot over with a mower ;) -- some of these examples sound stupid, but sometimes they happen... that's why they're called accidents.

I wouldn't feel comfy doing this in anything other than steel toes.

Ground Effects NH
03-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Right now, Chippwa Artic 50's --Summer TimberLand Pro's

lawnandplow42
03-28-2005, 03:13 PM
Steel toe, love it for trimming. Also waterproof is great!
I have steel toe loggers. I like loggers, but i might be getting something else because they are not gentle on turf.

DennisF
03-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Wolverine Dura-shock ankle high boot. Made of Gortex water-proof material. No steel toe. Light weight, comfortable, and your feet don't burn up in the summer. About $95 at Sears and worth every penny.

leafitalawn
03-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Oakley special forces boot. A little expensive ($215), but last forever. Also, they are just as/more comfortable than any running shoe I have ever worn.

Ed Ryder
03-28-2005, 04:12 PM

I agree with Mo Green.

I just get cheap sneakers at K-mart. I prefer sneakers or sneaker boots that cover my ankles to minimize the amount of grass that collects in the shoe. A pair of shoes lasts me 3 months when I use them for grass cutting. And in this case, comfort is more important than safety in my opinion.

Also, I don't see how you can get your foot chopped off? How could somebody be that stupid?

If a mower is too much for you to handle, you don't belong behind the controls of that machine period. You have to have a mastery over it. You control it. It doesn't control you.

It's more important to wear SAFETY GLASSES when using a weedwacker. The weedwacker is the most dangerous and most underestimated machine that you work with. It will zing a high velocity pebble into your eye in a microsecond.

Goodbye eyesight.

Don't be a dumb schmuck. Wear safety glasses when you trim. I see it all the time and it bewilders me - guys doing this work with nothing on their eyes. It is an invitation to disaster. So stupid. :eek:

lawnandplow42
03-28-2005, 04:20 PM
I agree with Mo Green.

I just get cheap sneakers at K-mart. I prefer sneakers or sneaker boots that cover my ankles to minimize the amount of grass that collects in the shoe. A pair of shoes lasts me 3 months when I use them for grass cutting. And in this case, comfort is more important than safety in my opinion.

Also, I don't see how you can get your foot chopped off? How could somebody be that stupid?

If a mower is too much for you to handle, you don't belong behind the controls of that machine period. You have to have a mastery over it. You control it. It doesn't control you.

It's more important to wear SAFETY GLASSES when using a weedwacker. The weedwacker is the most dangerous and most underestimated machine that you work with. It will zing a high velocity pebble into your eye in a microsecond.

Goodbye eyesight.

Don't be a dumb schmuck. Wear safety glasses when you trim. I see it all the time and it bewilders me - guys doing this work with nothing on their eyes. It is an invitation to disaster. So stupid. :eek:

Usually I have sunglasses on

lawnandplow42
03-28-2005, 04:22 PM
just wondering, (not trying to change the topic) but do you guys wear shorts at all when you mow? Last year i wore pants all summer because the weedwhacker sometimes kicks up pebbles and crap. This year i might give shorts a try though.

chevyman1
03-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Columbia Hiking boots...gortex, breathable, waterproof, lightweight

launboy
03-28-2005, 04:35 PM
timberland pro, just got them in the winter-nice boots- those are for the fall and spring. in the summer im going to be wearing the timberland pro hiking shoe usually i wear new balance cross trainer, but know i got the the timberlands so we will see.

NCLawnMedic
03-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Original Swat steel toe. Wears like a tennis shoe, back pain has stopped and my job completion times have improved.

bigz1001
03-28-2005, 04:50 PM
Matterhorn 10" Nytek Waterproof Mining Boot

WoodBrothersLC
03-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Tennis shoe men as well. We are on sulkies or Standers all day, hopefully free of mower blades. We wear New Balance shoes because they are the most lightweight and comfortable tennis shoe around for their price.

gaither
03-28-2005, 10:56 PM
I have tried everything over the years. I know these are not steal toes but i jsut could not keep lugging them around. I am only happy in the tennis shoe feel. The thing about them no matter how good they are they break down pretty fast with the abuse they take. I started going with these and they have been great and at the price you can but several a year.

http://www.payless.com/Catalog/ProductDetail.aspx?&TLC=Mens&SLC=MensAthletics&BLC=MensAthleticsSneakers&Width=Regular&ItemCode=21527&LotNumber=034935&Type=Adult&Popularity=91&DescriptiveColor=Grey/Blue

green with envy
03-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Wolverine Durashock 6" boot. I can't wear steel toes. Broken big toe when I was younger, so I can't get a steel toe to fit.

Mike

TClawn
03-29-2005, 01:14 AM
timberland pro, just got them in the winter-nice boots- those are for the fall and spring. in the summer im going to be wearing the timberland pro hiking shoe usually i wear new balance cross trainer, but know i got the the timberlands so we will see.

their great boots. I own a pair and my never have pain in my feet now.

nt1
03-29-2005, 12:10 PM
Light weight Columbia mid-top hikers. I like the tennis shoe feel for landscape maintenance stuff. If I did alot of landscaping or hardscaping I would use a pair of more heavy duty boots.

I go through 2 to 3 pairs per season. Since I'm on my feet all day good shoes are a necessity!

justgeorge
03-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Workshoes that is.. I have a pair of leather steel toe boots but i noticed the other day that they were heavy and actually slowing me down. I went shopping around for something lighter and ended up at sears, i narrowed it down to the 2 lightest i could find, Caterpillar and Timberland Pro. what do you have?

I ended up getting the Caterpillar, I think they are called the Hydraulics. Steel toe, and the most comfortable boot I had tried on. Still gives me ankle protection but they are not as tall as the 6" boots.

MarcSmith
03-29-2005, 02:10 PM
I look at good shoes like I look at sunglasses....I'll buy a new pair of boot each year and a new pair of glasses...if you spend good money on a good product, They will last...

lawnprosteveo
03-29-2005, 02:15 PM
I have some Timberland Pros and they are ok...but I've been wearing Justins because they feel so much better.

hess
03-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Socks and Red Wing Steel toed boots

scchamblee
03-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Georgia or Justin work boots. I love them!!!!

cemeteryman
03-09-2007, 08:23 AM
I wear wal-mart survivors with insoles. I buy a new pair every year and a half for $25.00. The waterproofing lasts about a year and they have steel toes.

txgrassguy
03-09-2007, 05:50 PM
toe fungus and ingrown toenails.

haybaler
03-09-2007, 06:06 PM
Taget's Mack truck steel toe boot. last about a year. $40

RedMax Man
03-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Timberland Pro's here. Steel toed of course.
Next pair will be those new Power welts from Timberland.

gorrell
03-10-2007, 01:39 PM
I got a pair of LawnGrips at Expo last fall and love them. Steel toes, but you'd never know it. Slip ons too. They were $90...........Lynn

JayD
03-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Timberland Pro workboots here. Great boots!

every body is taking about these boots. where can you find them? What kind of stores carry them?
Thanks, JayD

Mike Royce
03-13-2007, 01:14 AM
I use running shoes while mowing. Work boots when doing landscaping. I usually go to sears for both. Last year I tried cat. work shoes. They looked like running shoes. They barely made it through one season. My family is currently in the Philippines and I got Fila marithon running shoes for P 2,100 or about $ 41.00. They are the newest out from Fila. I'm going to get a second pair for mowing, they are very comfortable! But for some reason, no one sells any good work boots here. A lot of guys on the road crews just wear flip-flops or slippers! As for as steel toes: for mowing, I don't see a point. While scaping, perhaps. Hope this helps.

Dollar Spot
03-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Golf shoes

salandscape
03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Got me some lawn grips, best things I ever put on my feet. They are lighter than my running shoes, but have a steel toe. Very comfortable with a high arch. We'll see if they hold up.

drelgan
03-14-2007, 07:44 AM
Ecco for me also. They are high BUT they have a 1 year warranty replacement. I just sent a pair in that I have had for 11 months--sole starting to break--called for replacement. I told them what was wrong and she siad they would email shipping papers to put on the box at no charge. No hassle--just great customer service!

Chunkster27
03-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Irish Setter Wingshooters

mdvaden
03-15-2007, 11:03 PM
I find that I slip the least on an orchard ladder with athletic shoes - it offers the best footing on the rungs, and allows me to feel the step better when stepping off a big limb back onto the ladder.

Most often, short top hiking type shoes.

And when lifting stone, or chunks of wood, or chainsawing, steel toe boots.

So every other day, I have an extra pair of footwear with me in the truck.