PDA

View Full Version : preen in mulch beds

kalyeah
03-28-2005, 03:06 PM
For those of you who use Preen or something similar. Do you put it in the bed before the mulch? Or, do you put it down after you've spread the mulch?

Drew Gemma
03-28-2005, 06:13 PM
I am even curious if anyone uses Preen. I am sure their is a much better commercial product out their.

davechick12
03-28-2005, 06:48 PM
I dont use it very often, however when I use it I put the preen down first then spread the mulch. I believe you are suppose to water it so it soaks into the soil.

LawnGrassHoppers
04-03-2005, 10:07 PM
i use preen all the time and it does the job but the best way to prevent is to hand pull to get all the roots and before you know it the mait. is easy ,but lay the preen first and recommend a shrub fert as well

redoak77
04-04-2005, 12:10 AM
i ave used preen on a few jobs and have had succes with it. I always put it down before the mulch but i took a good look at the label the other day and it says to put it over the mulch. So i compromised on my last job and put half as much as normal before i put down mulch then the rest afterwards. davechick12 was right about watering it but if you can't then it says to just rake it into the top layer of mulch. That is what i did on my last job.

gqnine44
04-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Weeds will germinate in the mulch so for this reason you put it on top of the mulch. The only downside is the way it looks on top of the mulch. Under the mulch is better than nothing if you dont like the way it looks. Preen is too expensive to use on a commercial basis in my opinion. The cheapest I can buy it for is $35.00 for a 30 pound bag. I can buy Pre-M from Lesco for $26.00 for a 50 pound bag and it is better stuff too.

Stephen M.
04-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Preen is way too expensive when you compare it with "to the trade" herbicides. However, for the unlicensed, "over the counter" stuff is their only option.

Preen is the homeowner equivelent to Treflan. Same ingredient, but less active product. Treflan has 5% active product compared to 1% or less.

LwnmwrMan22
04-05-2005, 12:26 AM
I'll use Treflan over the top.

Never had problems, usually get about 4-6 weeks before you start to see little sprouts again.

I've never used Preen, but Treflan is a "darkish" orange, almost brown color, so unless you're using it on something very light, it blends in quite well, IMO.

Blades of Steel
04-05-2005, 12:31 AM
I use Snapshot, works great and I think it is 79.00 for a 50lb bag.

Stephen M.
04-05-2005, 02:02 AM
I use Snapshot, works great and I think it is 79.00 for a 50lb bag.

I use Snapshot also, but Verdicon sells it to me for $85/bag.