PDA

View Full Version : New Gravely 36" Walk Behind

jtkplc
03-28-2005, 07:55 PM
I bought this Gravely Pro H 1536 with ProSteer a week or so ago. I bought a ProSlide to go with it. I have only used it around the house and haven't cut any grass with it, but I like it so far.

wb.jpg

mkwl
03-28-2005, 10:18 PM
Congrats! Looks like a pretty nice machine.

PLM-1
03-28-2005, 10:22 PM
That's exactly what i am looking at...do you mind saying what you paid and what all you got?

jtkplc
03-28-2005, 10:28 PM
That's exactly what i am looking at...do you mind saying what you paid and what all you got?

I bought the mower for $3699. It was a one day sale, the commercial open house. I also bought the proslide, which I got for $100, the grass catcher and leaf catcher I don't remember the exact costs of. The total was around $4500 with tax I believe, I don't remember the exact dollar amount.

PLM-1
03-28-2005, 11:28 PM
wow...that is quite a bit cheaper than i'm getting quotes for! Good Job!

Do you like it? Seems to be well built.

jtkplc
03-28-2005, 11:36 PM
wow...that is quite a bit cheaper than i'm getting quotes for! Good Job!

Do you like it? Seems to be well built.

Well like I said in initial post, I haven't really "used" it yet. I've drove it around the yard a few times and that's it. I will be doing a spring clean-up with it here in the next week or two. If it's anywhere like my 260, I'll love it. Starting up the blades sounds just like my 260, so I'm sure it'll cut great. I can't wait to get it out there and start using it.

benslandscapingny
03-29-2005, 12:02 AM
thats a sweet mo-chine
hope you do well

cleancutccl
03-29-2005, 12:25 AM
I've got one just like that but a belt drive, the one bad thing about them is the grass catcher that thing is heavy. I'm sure you got a great deal on the catcher, but I wish that I would have bought one through accelerator and got an aluminum one. Anyway you got a great deal on the whole package.

ChadA
03-29-2005, 01:57 AM
Let us know how it performs. I really like the gravely dealer here and was wanting to get one of those this year.

Piedmont1
05-08-2005, 07:14 AM
I bought this Gravely Pro H 1536 with ProSteer a week or so ago. I bought a ProSlide to go with it. I have only used it around the house and haven't cut any grass with it, but I like it so far.

wb.jpg

jtkplc - Just bought one of these myself but haven't taken delivery of it. What do you think of your's so far? Any complaints? How do you like the Pro Steer on a hydro?

Thanks!

jtkplc
05-08-2005, 10:31 AM
jtkplc - Just bought one of these myself but haven't taken delivery of it. What do you think of your's so far? Any complaints? How do you like the Pro Steer on a hydro?

Thanks!

So far I love mine. I mowed the hydros to the faster ground speed which in return made the controls more sensitive. That is still something I'm getting used to, but it's not a big problem. I had to buy some counter weights for it, and I am going to get some more. The 36" deck just doesn't weigh enough to keep the front end down. Going up any incline brings the front up when I'm on my ProSlide. Over rough terrain, the front will not stay pinned to the ground. I like the 8.5 MPH ground speed. I'm very glad I got the ProSteer, I like the way they are set up. The cut is good, the 36" has really good blade tip speed, 18,500 I believe. I got a double blade kit for it and it sounds sweet! The J-pin height adjustment is awesome.

BCSteel
05-08-2005, 10:33 AM
What do you think of the off set front caster on the 1536? Does it hinder getting tight into corners at all? I was considering that very mower but they dont make a mulch kit for the 36". Has anyone used the discharge blocker instead and how good of a mulch job does it do?

griffy77
05-08-2005, 11:51 AM
They do have a mulch kit. I got one but iam using the bagger for right now. it holds something like 4 bushels. It leaves a beautiful cut when bagged. I didnt know they had counter weights i will have to look into that. This is my first season owning one and I am impressed, especially for the price. I put a vulcky<-sp) on mine, but the deck isnt heavy enough to stay close to the ground when going up hills. Other than that I love my gravely. I also have a 48" belt driven, which in comparison to a hydro sucks. I am selling my 48 and going with a 260z next year. Gravely is the grandpapy of brushhogs and large mowers. They will last forever.

Hope you enjoy the 36"proH its an awsome machine.

Piedmont1
05-08-2005, 02:41 PM
So far I love mine. I mowed the hydros to the faster ground speed which in return made the controls more sensitive. That is still something I'm getting used to, but it's not a big problem. I had to buy some counter weights for it, and I am going to get some more. The 36" deck just doesn't weigh enough to keep the front end down. Going up any incline brings the front up when I'm on my ProSlide. Over rough terrain, the front will not stay pinned to the ground. I like the 8.5 MPH ground speed. I'm very glad I got the ProSteer, I like the way they are set up. The cut is good, the 36" has really good blade tip speed, 18,500 I believe. I got a double blade kit for it and it sounds sweet! The J-pin height adjustment is awesome.

Thanks for update! Are the counter weights you bought Gravely brand or another manufacturer? If non-gravely which brand?

Thanks again!

jtkplc
05-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Thanks for update! Are the counter weights you bought Gravely brand or another manufacturer? If non-gravely which brand?

Thanks again!

The counter weights I bought were not a Gravely product. I went to my local steel store and bought a piece of steel rod 1 3/8" in diameter and put it in the front tube that runs across the width of the mower. It cost me $7.58. I am going to get another piece of steel for a little more weight.

BCSteel
05-08-2005, 06:07 PM
They do have a mulch kit. I got one but iam using the bagger for right now. it holds something like 4 bushels.

They do? For the 36"? I emailed the head office and they said that they didn't ,make them for the 36, only had a discharge blocker.

jtkplc
05-08-2005, 10:50 PM
They do? For the 36"? I emailed the head office and they said that they didn't ,make them for the 36, only had a discharge blocker.

Gravely's website says the mulch kit is only for the 48 and 52 inch.

Mowingman
05-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Gravely mulch kit for the 36" deck is # 788033. suggested list price is $119.00.

BCSteel
05-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Gravely mulch kit for the 36" deck is # 788033. suggested list price is $119.00.

Where is this info from and how come the head office doesnt know about it?

Edit, I looked on the site and aparently they have a mulch kit for the 36" fixed gear but not the floating??? Whats up with that?

Mowingman
05-09-2005, 07:24 AM
I am a dealer. The info. is right out of my machine and accessories ordering book. I have sold several 36" mulch kits . No problem ordering them.
I have no idea why someone at the factory would tell you they were not available.

BCSteel
05-09-2005, 09:35 AM
My email and their reply to my question about the mulch kit for the 1536. Hmmm... does seem quite odd...

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2005 5:46 PM
To: customer service 2
Subject: Gravely General: Mulch Kit

Phone:

Product: Current Walk Behind Mowers - Consumer and
Professional Walk Behind Mowers

Model #:

Serial #:

Subject: Mulch Kit

Comments: Is there a mulch kit that fits

on the pro h 1536? On the

web site it only mentions the

48 and 52.

Thank You.

Oliver,

Thank you for contacting Ariens. There is not a mulching kit available
for the HR1536. The only item available is a discharge cover.

Tammy
Ariens Customer Service

Mowingman
05-09-2005, 09:44 AM
They do have some idiots working at the main office. I recently called on the dealer line and asked a question about parts for an "L" model Gravely tractor. The person I was talking to said, "What is an L model". I said. "You have got to be kidding, Gravely made the L model or versions of it for about 40 years". How long have you worked there, 1 or 2 days? Let me talk to someone who knows something." The next person I talked to was very knowledgable.
I don't know where they get their help, but some of them are pretty uninformed.
Just have your dealer order you a mulch kit, They DO exist. Really.

PS: I think the lady who answered from Ariens is not even talking about the model you asked about.

jtkplc
05-09-2005, 10:05 PM
What do you think of the off set front caster on the 1536? Does it hinder getting tight into corners at all?

I have yet to have any problem with it. It is a bit ackward, but it hasn't limited me on fitting into any areas so far.

Piedmont1
05-12-2005, 07:22 PM
The counter weights I bought were not a Gravely product. I went to my local steel store and bought a piece of steel rod 1 3/8" in diameter and put it in the front tube that runs across the width of the mower. It cost me $7.58. I am going to get another piece of steel for a little more weight.

Forgot to ask....how did you secure the 1 3/8" rod inside the frame tube?

Thanks!

jtkplc
05-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Forgot to ask....how did you secure the 1 3/8" rod inside the frame tube?

Thanks!

I didn't really need to. The front tube was welded so I had to grind a small channel down the entire length of the rod in order for it to fit. I got it to where the rod would slide in tough by hand and at the end I would have to hammer it in the last couple inches. It hasn't moved in 2 weeks of use. If I does move on me, I was going to drill a whole through it and put a pit in it.

chris03053
06-25-2005, 10:01 PM
I am a dealer. The info. is right out of my machine and accessories ordering book. I have sold several 36" mulch kits . No problem ordering them.
I have no idea why someone at the factory would tell you they were not available. I have an old gravely 36"(pro 150 888 series 047) with the mulching kit. Nobody in my area knows the part # for the mulching blades. Do you have them? Or am i better off with a different mulching blade?

Mowingman
06-25-2005, 11:37 PM
Chris,
Let me know the model number and serial number and I will try to look them up Monday. Post the info here, or you can PM me.

chris03053
06-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Chris,
Let me know the model number and serial number and I will try to look them up Monday. Post the info here, or you can PM me.The model number is 888047, that's a 36" deck, i dont know the serial #, if that's for the mulching kit. I measured the blade and it's 17 11/16 by 2 1/2 wide, 5/8 hole. The Gator has one but it is 17" by 2 1/2. Does that matter? Thank you for any info

Mowingman
06-29-2005, 02:10 PM
I can not find a mulching blade listed for that machine, and I have no idea what the mulch kit number is either. If you use a blade that is too short, you will leave uncut strips, and the suction to lift the grass blades will be reduced. When you measure a blade, measure from the back tip of the upturned wing, across to the front tip of the cutting edge, so you are actually measuring diagonal across the blade. Is that how you got the 17 11/16" dimension? Let me know, and I will try to find a source for an after market blade.

chris03053
06-29-2005, 05:07 PM
I can not find a mulching blade listed for that machine, and I have no idea what the mulch kit number is either. If you use a blade that is too short, you will leave uncut strips, and the suction to lift the grass blades will be reduced. When you measure a blade, measure from the back tip of the upturned wing, across to the front tip of the cutting edge, so you are actually measuring diagonal across the blade. Is that how you got the 17 11/16" dimension? Let me know, and I will try to find a source for an after market blade.
yes its 17 11/16. the old blade i had with gravely was 8899400 before i got the mulch kit thanks

chris03053
08-05-2005, 08:49 PM
any luck :waving:

Mowingman
08-05-2005, 10:05 PM
I can not tell a lie. I laid the note with the size off in a corner, and forgot to look in my aftermarket books. I could not verify a Gravely part number that fits for sure. I promise, I will look in a couple of our supplier's catalogs tomorrow and post back here.

Mowingman
08-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Rotary has the blade you need. It is Rotary part #6203. It is a mulching blade for the Pro 36" Gravely.
Rotary will not sell to you Directly. You have to buy it through a store or repair shop that has an account with Rotary. Any lawn equipment shop that is wort a darn, has an account with Rotary.

chris03053
08-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Rotary has the blade you need. It is Rotary part #6203. It is a mulching blade for the Pro 36" Gravely.
Rotary will not sell to you Directly. You have to buy it through a store or repair shop that has an account with Rotary. Any lawn equipment shop that is wort a darn, has an account with Rotary.
ok, thanks

jtkplc
01-13-2006, 03:12 PM
here's a pic of the counter weight I used. I need a little more weight, but it helped out a lot.

mcwlandscaping
01-13-2006, 06:49 PM
WOW, still looks really new except for the grass on it. I like it!!

kirk brown
01-13-2006, 07:38 PM
nice looking mower
congrats

jtkplc
01-13-2006, 09:12 PM
the picture was taken back in june or july of 05, i just forgot to post it on here.

J&R Landscaping
01-13-2006, 09:39 PM
If you are looking for aftermarket blades, I would venture to guess that Oregon would almost definitly have the blade you need. They have a blade for everything.

nmez21
01-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Good deal! I've heard only good about the gravely wbs.

jtkplc
01-13-2006, 09:50 PM
If you are looking for aftermarket blades, I would venture to guess that Oregon would almost definitly have the blade you need. They have a blade for everything.

I would like to try the Fusion blade. From what I hear it's pretty cool, stays sharp for a long time.

jtkplc
01-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Good deal! I've heard only good about the gravely wbs.

The only problem I have is the cut isn't flawless. But other than that, I love the machine. This year I'm going to try running different blade configurations to see if the cut quality will improve. I was running doubles last year, the stock blade and gator on top.

John Gamba
09-19-2006, 07:18 AM
The only problem I have is the cut isn't flawless. But other than that, I love the machine. This year I'm going to try running different blade configurations to see if the cut quality will improve. I was running doubles last year, the stock blade and gator on top.

Do you still love the pro-steer? how has it been on hills?

John

jtkplc
09-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Do you still love the pro-steer? how has it been on hills?

John

Yep, ProSteer is awesome...

It's been very good on hills. It will hold some pretty steep ones. I'm very pleased with it overall.

John Gamba
09-20-2006, 05:40 AM
Yep, ProSteer is awesome...

It's been very good on hills. It will hold some pretty steep ones. I'm very pleased with it overall.

Thank you!

noseha
09-20-2006, 06:09 AM
pro sters are nice

Woody_1
08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
I didn't really need to. The front tube was welded so I had to grind a small channel down the entire length of the rod in order for it to fit. I got it to where the rod would slide in tough by hand and at the end I would have to hammer it in the last couple inches. It hasn't moved in 2 weeks of use. If I does move on me, I was going to drill a whole through it and put a pit in it.

I found a couple more ways to add weight to the front. Post a reply if you are still interested.

jtkplc
08-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I no longer have that machine but you never know what the future holds for equipment. What have you come up with?

Woody_1
08-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I found a pipe plug that fit perfectly in the front steel tube on the deck. The pipe plug has a rubber seal, that is seated by tightening a bolt. I installed one plug, parked the mower on a side incline, and filled the front deck tube with lead shot. I'd say I added ~ 10 lbs worth. I then installed the other pipe plug. The plugs are tight, and not going anywhere.

I also added weights on top of the front castors by removing the 3/8" diameter retaining bolt. After some experiments, what I found what fits well is 3 x 2.5 lb round weights from Dicks, secured to the castor with a 3" x 3/8SAE bolt.
The holes in the weights are 1" and the bolt is 3/8". To make a tight fit, I slipped in some nylon spacers that are 3/8 hole x 1" OD x 3/8 thick.
Top it off with a large washer, and tighen the bolt.

Simply put, I have a stack of 3 weights bolted to the top of each front wheel castor. Looks good on there, and is tight fit so no movement of any kind.

Total of ~ 25lbs is just right addition.

STIHL GUY
08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
nice mower. Hope you make a lot of $$ with it

Riley Lawn Service
09-01-2008, 12:47 AM
nice looking mower i dont have a walk-behind but i think they sure look and cut great

Kennedy Landscaping
09-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Thread is an 05'