PDA

View Full Version : Palm tree installation

Lawnworks
03-28-2005, 11:57 PM
What is involved w/ palm tree installation. I am thinking about installing some palm trees at my house. From what I have read, the internal "seed" or whatever is fragile and you have to be careful. And you may not know if you screwed up until a year later. Does proper installation require staking? I used the search function, but the info mostly pertained to maintenance.

YardPro
03-29-2005, 08:31 AM
where are you??? location has a lot to do with planting technique

we plant a lot of palms. sabals, butia (pindo), washigtonian, and windmills.

Lawnworks
03-29-2005, 08:34 PM
I am in Gawgia

YardPro
03-30-2005, 08:20 AM
if you're in heavy clay there you'll need to overdig and ammend the soil a little.

be careful with the sprout ( where the leaved come out of the top), do not handle it in that area, if you crack the bud, the palm is history. the sprout can also be dammaged by dropping the palm onto it's side (pushing it over).

Next thing is make sure it has plenty of water. a palm is a monocot and when the roots are cut when it is dug out, the entire cut root dies. it does not put out new points of growth from behind the cut. since there is such a reduced amount of root mass, the plant needs a large volume of water. Large sabal palms can take up to 15 gallond per day in clay soils, and over 20 gal per day in sandy soils. this is for the establishment period ( a few months)

Lawnworks
03-30-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the info... how do you transport them around the jobsite?

Updog
03-31-2005, 09:24 AM
We put a strap on larger ones and move them with a skid steer. You may want to stake them they are heavy trees and I wouldn't want to be resposable for one falling on someone.

YardPro
04-01-2005, 08:41 AM
we do the same, strap or slip chain.

make sure you attach close to the roots, as the balance point will be very close to the root ball.

Tony Clifton
04-01-2005, 09:19 AM
Yep, just wrap a chain around it...about teh watering: Palms definately need plenty of it, but be sure the ground does not stay too wet, it will rot the tree out. We will dig a huge hole and fill it with sand, and then backfill with sand, this ensures good drainage. I dont think I have ever staked a palm tree, you can tell whether or not it will be stable once it is in the ground. Also, unlike other trees and shrubs, palms do not like to be planted too high. Be sure it is deep enough, I have heard that you can plant one as deep as you want (dont take my word on that)

YardPro
04-01-2005, 06:07 PM
too deep is much better than too high.

the only time i have ever had a palm fall is during a hurricane, 2 days after install.

since most of the weight is in the root, and they do not have alot od surface area up high to catch the wind, they don't fall over easially at all,

SONSCAPES
04-02-2005, 08:18 AM
we do the same, strap or slip chain.

make sure you attach close to the roots, as the balance point will be very close to the root ball.

yardpro, do you move the palms with your dingo? i'm seriously looking into getting one curious in what it can and cannot do thanks!

YardPro
04-02-2005, 08:32 AM
yes we do.

we made sure we could carry them before we bought the dingo. That was a primary reason for buying it in the first place.

we have set several 14 footers (16" with root ball) with NO problems at all.

Tony Clifton
04-02-2005, 11:11 AM
YardPro, are you serious, You can move them with your dingo? You are talking Sabal Palms right? I know you said 14 footers, but are they skinny? We have a New Holland 865 with counter weights, (which can easily lift a 2.5 ton pallet of stone overhead) and it seems to be close to the tipping point when we plant some of the big ones. We also have a 4310 John Deere Tractor and there have been times when it is not strong enough to lift the trees.

Kate Butler
04-02-2005, 11:43 AM
Are you thinking of MOVING existing trees or of planting trees acquired from a nursery? If moving 'em be sure and remove most of the fronds (leaving the bud and one or two fronds) so they don't kill themselves trying to support all that top growth with a sheared root system. If nursery-bought, they may do the trimming for you before you pick 'em up. To stake or not to stake - I'd prefer to err on the side of caution (read: not having to pick it up off the ground and reset it) and support each tree.

In Florida, you take 3 or 4 pieces of 2"x4"x8" (little blocks), space 'em around the tree at or above the halfway point on the trunk, circle with steel strapping and tighten. Once the tree is in place, you can then nail long 2"x4"s into the wood blocks around the tree (the idea being to support the tree in such a way that no wounds are made to the tree). 6 months later, take the supports off, the tree will have regrown it's head, and you shouldn't have to worry about it uprooting.

Remember, if you have a hurricane coming, do the pruning again to cut down on wind resistance, the tree is more likely to make it through without damage and can always regrow if it's not ripped apart by the storm.

SONSCAPES
04-03-2005, 10:47 AM
yes we do.

we made sure we could carry them before we bought the dingo. That was a primary reason for buying it in the first place.

we have set several 14 footers (16" with root ball) with NO problems at all.

yardpro,thanks for the reply. i believe it can move those 14 footers when i demoed a dingo it was at a build a pond class and we were moving huge boulders with the dingo what attachments do you have? are you dissappointed in any of them?do you do sod and seed preps with it?he had a soil cultivator on the trailer that he said makes a good seed bed. I guess what im really trying to ask is do you think it could take the place of a 25-30hp tractor? thanks! :)

coastallandscapesolutions
04-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Hey Yard Pro... when are ya com'n down to the real South from that Northern Territory up there? Bike Week?

coastallandscapesolutions
04-03-2005, 12:24 PM
YardPro, are you serious, You can move them with your dingo? You are talking Sabal Palms right? I know you said 14 footers, but are they skinny? We have a New Holland 865 with counter weights, (which can easily lift a 2.5 ton pallet of stone overhead) and it seems to be close to the tipping point when we plant some of the big ones. We also have a 4310 John Deere Tractor and there have been times when it is not strong enough to lift the trees.

I can pick them up with my MT52 bobcat too. We just move real slow as it does get tippy. But it will do it and unlike YardPro, I ride where he walks.... :cool: