PDA

View Full Version : Perennial/Shrub Fertilizer

urbanlandscape
03-29-2005, 12:34 AM
My company specializes in garden maintenance. Basically, we maintain the plants in landscape beds or gardens. Organic fertilizing for shrubs and perennials is one of our services. In the past I have used Espoma brand products, but I haven't been too impressed with the results. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good, balanced fertilizer for perennials and shrubs? Roots, Inc. products have been recommended to me. I went to my local John Deere Landscape center to check on pricelists for this year and noticed on my way out that they are carrying the Dry-Roots and M-Dry-Roots products. I really like the M-Roots idea because I'm mostly dealing with landscapes I didn't install, that had no soil amendments used. Any feed back on this or other fertilizers would be appreciated. In the last decade, builders have figured out that they can scrape the topsoil off their building sites and sell it, leaving plants with our not so great clay subsoil to deal with.
Thanks.

WhohasHelios?
03-29-2005, 12:52 AM
I have been using RainGrow's products for about two years now. I am not unhappy with the results, but not overly happy either. This is a liquid form only.. The mixture is made from certified organic chicken emulsion, and they add Tea Tree oil as well. I have noticed that the tea tree oil actually acts as a bit of an antifungal. Which is not great for organics as we know, because we want to encourage things like fungal mycelia.

RainGrow's site here (http://www.raingrow.com)

I am switching this year to a line of products that are really making a great name for themselves in my area. They go by the name Gaia Green Products. They have many forms and blends. I am really looking forward to trying the turf blend out.

I do not know if either of these are available across the border or not.

-Reuben

WhohasHelios?
03-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Sorry, here is the web site for the second mentioned brand. (http://www.gaiagreen.ca)

Garden Panzer
03-29-2005, 01:16 AM
I use LOTS of Roots stuff.....
I like Roots 1-2-3 for beds, and Fe8 for all turf work...

www.rootsinc.com

:waving:

urbanlandscape
03-29-2005, 01:32 AM
Thanks for your replies. I think I posted last spring and never received an answer, so I just kept using Espoma. I think I might go with the Roots Inc. products for perennials, shrubs, and annuals and supplement our annuals with some liquid fert. I've heard enough good about them and it seems to be fairly available here. I already quoted prices for this year using prices based on Roots, Inc products, which are fairly expensive compared to Espoma. But Roots, Inc. seems to have a more diverse ingredient list, which I always like. I topdress my annual beds with compost every spring and they already look better than everyone else's. I'll blow them away if I start supplementing with a liquid program. Helios, I'll check out what you're using for that extra boost. it's funny how some people balk at fertilizing their landscape plants when they spend so much on their lawns!

Grassmechanic
03-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Emily - Lesco has a Landscape and Ornamental fert. It is granular, I can't remember the analysis. I've been using good ol' Arbor Green the last few years (I add a few other nutrients to bring it to where I like it) and inject it directly into the soil. I use this on established beds. For new plantings, I've also use Roots products with great success. For annual beds, I also use compost before planting, then followed by weekly water soluble fert such as Peters or Nutriculture.

DowntoEarthLLC
04-13-2005, 10:55 AM
I like to use plant health care products... john deere landscapes carries them...

http://www.planthealthcare.com/