PDA

View Full Version : Drainage Question w/dry creek bed

TScapes
03-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Was wondering what some of you more experienced pond and waterfall guys do when it comes to drainage issues and dry creek beds. A friend of mine has a property that they have run-off issues with and was wanting to put in a dry creek bed to help direct the runoff. I have a little experience with drainage solutions, but never put in a dry creek bed.
I can get a grasp of what to do; cut a curved "V" in the area I want the bed to go, tamp it down, and then lay out the rocks. Should I put a liner down first or just lay cloth or none of the above? By the way, this will run @ 70 feet by about 4'.
Also... how far will one pallet of rock (lets say river rock) go? I have heard 80 linear feet. Does that sound right? What if you use flagstone? This person has a flagstone house and all of their beds utilize the same stone. So, naturally they would like to have what ever is laid to be the same. To me it seems as though using river rock would be best. Especially with some larger ones scattered randomly throughout.
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated..... :waving:

Gilla Gorilla
03-29-2005, 09:11 PM
A ton of River Rock will cover 100sq ft at a 2 inch depth.

Is this picture kindof what you are talking about?

I bid this job at 10 tons or river jack 1-3 inch for $1670.00 I dont think that I will need the complete 10 tons though maybe around the 8 to 9 ton range.

TScapes
03-30-2005, 03:23 AM
Gilla Gorilla..... Your picture is similar to what I am going to do, but just not with as small of rock that is in your pic. The river rock I was proposing was 6-12".
Thanks for the pic!

sheshovel
04-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Here's one I did this winter

sheshovel
04-02-2005, 10:32 PM
I usually use 1"to 2" round for in the center but the rock they sent me was not very good all broken into bits and not round so I just used the pea I had there already .It looks alot better in person.