PDA

View Full Version : looking for formen

Scenic Lawnscape
03-29-2005, 09:41 PM
When looking for a qualified landscape/hardscape formen, where do guys have the best luck looking. We have tried the local paper (small town) the state landscape orgnizations.. Any other ideas, i was thinking the bigger news papers, but i also am open to ideas

Thanks

Rich

Coffeecraver
03-29-2005, 11:03 PM
When looking for a qualified landscape/hardscape formen look for one that can train others. This should be his main goal for at least a few months.You may have to pay top dollar for a while but if the training pays off you will be better off in the long run.

Try the hispanic communities most of them work hard and catch on quick.

iluvscag
03-29-2005, 11:22 PM
The local jail usually lets us have them for a work program. They give us as many as you want and you can work them to death they wont give a ****.

NNJLandman
03-29-2005, 11:55 PM
In my opinion the worest way to find one is the paper, youll get all sorts of people coming out of the woodwork for the job. The best way is hire someone work with them, get to know them. The foreman for my boss's company has been working there for years now. My boss knows everything about the guy, how he operates. You need to get to know someone, teach them, learn from them, learn their habits...are they good or are they bad. If you want a good foreman who you can trust with all your equipment, your business, your jobs, everything basically, you should put sometime into it. Look at some of the local colleges that offer landscape majors and minor. Good luck with it.

Jeff

Lawnworks
03-30-2005, 12:09 AM
What about your state department of labor? I listed for free and got a couple of quality hits in a week. I ended up talking to a crew leader for another local company and I will be hiring him. I know it is cut throat, but just go talk to other company's foreman and give them a dollar or two incentive. More than likely they would do the same to you.

Mdirrigation
03-30-2005, 12:16 AM
The best place to find qualified and experienced employees is from the competition, in the corprate world , there are companies ( head hunters) that lure key employees from one company to work at another . ( for a fee)

YardPro
03-30-2005, 08:25 AM
other companies are the best bet. Tey to find someone who is NOT unemploied. they have no job for a reason.

also depending on where you are, be prepaired to spend some money.

here a good foreman is $40K/year minimum

larz
05-02-2005, 06:45 PM
When looking for a qualified landscape/hardscape formen look for one that can train others. This should be his main goal for at least a few months.You may have to pay top dollar for a while but if the training pays off you will be better off in the long run.

Try the hispanic communities most of them work hard and catch on quick.

I HOPE TO GOD YOU ARE REFFERING TO HISPANIC AMERICANS.

larz
05-02-2005, 06:52 PM
other companies are the best bet. Tey to find someone who is NOT unemploied. they have no job for a reason.

also depending on where you are, be prepaired to spend some money.

here a good foreman is $40K/year minimum

YEA, BUT THAT REASON IS NOT ALWAYS THEIR FUALT. WHAT ABOUT THE LOYAL PERSON WORKING FOR A RATHER CRAPPY COMPANY THAT GOES OUT OF BUSINESS. KIND OF A CRAPPY LITTLE RULE YOU HAVE THERE, UH?

YardPro
05-02-2005, 09:54 PM
a little sensative??????

what are the odds that your add will run just after someone has lost thier job????
And if the guy was smart he should have seen the demise of the business coming and switched jobs earlier.

and who said it was a rule?????
all i said is that you should not target unemployed people.. any good foreman will get snatched up VERY quickly...

Garth
05-02-2005, 11:15 PM
How about the want ads in professional publications? I found a guy out of the Irrigation and Green Industry magazine who is excellent. He was a little cautious about working with developmentally disabled adults but he's been here a couple of weeks and loves this job. There are several industry publications geared towards contractors and landscapers and you might get a good guy. I did.

larz
05-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Oh, sorry, please excuse me master of the universe, who knows all circumstances & reasons why any one person in the whole universe might be unemployed. lighten up francis
I cannot proclaim loud enough! how many lousey employers there are out there. some guy with a few bucks, who thouroughly enjoys torturing other people. ego-maniacs
I beleive the right thing to do is:
1. does he have a green card
2. examine the individuals entire work history & education
3. check his reff.
4. give him 90 days to prove his worth
Out of all the jobs I've worked in 25 plus years, there is not one that I miss enough, to have continued taking the abuse (including crappy pay) for. Your turn you judgemental freak, I can keep this up forever.

olderthandirt
05-03-2005, 12:50 AM
RIGHT HERE ! I'm willing to relocate, I work well with others, have a little knowledge of many aspects of the business and can motivate people. Plus as an added bonus have much of my own equipment that I prefer to use. Starting salary is negotiable and keeps going up from there payup payup payup payup :D

Lawnworks
05-03-2005, 07:30 AM
larz,
wtf are you talking about? I agree w/ everything said by yardpro and others. It is tough finding a foreman through an ad. They are usually just trash. I hired one guy, checked his references and then he never showed on the first day. Then after I politely told him this wasn't going to work, he cussed me out. In general white and black people are trash. I am going to look into the h2b program

AGLA
05-03-2005, 07:31 AM
If you can't find one, make one. It is more important that he is an authority figure more than an expert at landscaping. That he can learn. What you can't teach people is personality. Your most knowledgable skilled worker is not necessarily destined to be a good foreman. He will be a big help to a foreman that gets people to follow the rules and hustle.

Are you looking for a foreman or a skilled worker? If they are in the same package, chances are their own name is on the truck. If you have the skills, you can train your crew and hire someone to keep them in line make decisions, and deal with your customers on-site. The foreman will learn the landscaping part a lot easier than most landscape guys are going to turn into bosses.

The guy from the crew usually wants to be one of the guys. He'll often tend to behave as if he were working for them rather than you. It usually works better when he comes in from somewhere else and has a nononsense personality.

YardPro
05-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Oh, sorry, please excuse me master of the universe, who knows all circumstances & reasons why any one person in the whole universe might be unemployed. lighten up francis
I cannot proclaim loud enough! how many lousey employers there are out there. some guy with a few bucks, who thouroughly enjoys torturing other people. ego-maniacs
I beleive the right thing to do is:
1. does he have a green card
2. examine the individuals entire work history & education
3. check his reff.
4. give him 90 days to prove his worth
Out of all the jobs I've worked in 25 plus years, there is not one that I miss enough, to have continued taking the abuse (including crappy pay) for. Your turn you judgemental freak, I can keep this up forever.

oohhh
i agree with all 4 of your "things to do"... but that was not the question.
your criteria is only good AFTER you get them.... the question was how to find them...try reading the question again mister overdefensive......

If someone is a good foreman they WILL have a job.. they may not be happy and are probably looking for another job, but they will not be unemployed long if they are any good. SO that only supports my statement that the best place to look for GOOD foremen is other companies. The guy that is unhappy will jump to your ship in a heartbeat if you have a better offer.

any guy that is content staying unemployed for any length of time is not a desirable candidate for a foreman position...

a little sensative????? what has happened to you ??? you have a rough employment history????? You poor thing.....

stumper1620
05-03-2005, 08:41 AM
go online or go to your local MESC JOB SERVICE office, they prescreen everyone before they refer them to you. NO CHARGE. :D

larz
05-05-2005, 10:14 AM
oohhh
i agree with all 4 of your "things to do"... but that was not the question.
your criteria is only good AFTER you get them.... the question was how to find them...try reading the question again mister overdefensive......

If someone is a good foreman they WILL have a job.. they may not be happy and are probably looking for another job, but they will not be unemployed long if they are any good. SO that only supports my statement that the best place to look for GOOD foremen is other companies. The guy that is unhappy will jump to your ship in a heartbeat if you have a better offer.

any guy that is content staying unemployed for any length of time is not a desirable candidate for a foreman position...

a little sensative????? what has happened to you ??? you have a rough employment history????? You poor thing.....

Not me pal, I own 2 companies...
Decided long ago, most busines owners have no business being business owners, not referring to you either...
But, any real "work from the bottom of the heap" no "paid education by daddy" & a "nest egg to start with" (silver spoon ***) would make the statements that you have made here.
Frankly, I would probably walk out on the "interview" with someone like you. Lifes to short to work for an *******.

landscapingpoolguy
05-06-2005, 08:52 PM
Try www.hispanicamericanlandscapelabor.com. Nah just kidding. Honestly a good foreman is very difficult to find because they demand top dollar. I myself have had several larger companies approach me on a jobsite asking me if I was interested in a position. When it came down to the bottom line, they just couldnt or wouldnt pay me what I was looking for. What would you want to be paid to give up your business? If they are that good of a worker, they probably work for themselves.