PDA

View Full Version : county extension services?

Island Lawn
02-10-2001, 11:43 PM
Does anybody tap this resource, or is it "homeowner based"?I hear a lot about going to Lesco for help.
I understand from other posts that Lesco has publications/sales literature?
I seem to remember mention about marketing materials available from Lesco as well.

I'm just trying to corral the resources I need to tap for local fert/pest info.

As always, Thanx for the input!

jrblawncare
02-11-2001, 06:19 AM
The County Extension office is there for you and can be a big help to you as a business or as a homeonwer.They work in cooperation with the U.S.Department of Agriculture and state colleges of agriculture in your area.They offer soil test[at a small fee] and useful publications for ornamental and turf applicators.hope this helps,JOHN

GroundKprs
02-11-2001, 07:58 AM
Cooperative Extension service is a good place for any type of information. Sometimes it is rather general though, because they are not selling anything. But that's what makes this source so valuable: they are not after your wallet. The CSREES is a joint effort of USDA and state land grant universities to bring knowledge out into the field, not just in agriculture & horticulture, but in many other areas of everyday living. Most people think of the service as agricultural, because that was the original intent, but it is a lot more in many states. To find where your, or any, state office is located, check State Partners of CSREES (http://www.reeusda.gov/1700/statepartners/usa.htm) (for smaller NE states, link is the state abbreviation, not the location).

Ocutter
02-11-2001, 10:31 AM
I donate my spare time to my extension office to maintain my master gardener status. Let me tell you the people who also donate time go above and beyond the call to get you info on anything you need. We are not paid and do not endorse any product. We spend the time and give the pros as well as the cons to homeowners (sometimes contractors) so that hey can walk out knowing that they received all the info that we could give them. Maybe a few publications are dated but our advice is not. With contractors like myself staffing the office there is nothing we cant solve for you. Chris

Randy Scott
02-17-2001, 10:36 PM
I've dealt with my local extension office a few times and they have been quite helpful. All the info they offer has been updated a year ago so it's pretty current. Definately worth calling and judge it from there. ;)