PDA

View Full Version : Help Me I have a problem with a trailer title

troblandscape
03-29-2005, 11:07 PM
Ok, I recently bought a trailer off of ebay. The trailer was never registered with the previous owner. When I bought the trailer he gave me the BILL OF ORIGIN which I have since lost. :cry: What do I do now? I cant find the manufacture of the trailers location. It is a 2001 Fox equipment trailer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The Good Earth
03-29-2005, 11:19 PM
My trailer dealer doesn't title the trailer he builds so he doesn't have to pay taxes. What I have to do is take the trailer to a grain elevator and have it weighed. Costs like $2.00. Then I take the weight slip to the DMV and have the trailer titled as home built. I stamp a serial number somewhere on the tongue in case it needs to be identified. Maybe you could do something like that. Hope this helps.

PLM-1
03-30-2005, 12:01 AM
My trailer dealer doesn't title the trailer he builds so he doesn't have to pay taxes. What I have to do is take the trailer to a grain elevator and have it weighed. Costs like $2.00. Then I take the weight slip to the DMV and have the trailer titled as home built. I stamp a serial number somewhere on the tongue in case it needs to be identified. Maybe you could do something like that. Hope this helps.

That's the way to do it...Illegally, shhh :p . Some states like MO just need an inspection and then take that to the DMV. Then they give you the serial # and they send you a title.

The Good Earth
03-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Man, I am not talking!!! :) I get a 7x18 with a steel deck, new tires and wheels, brakes, and a gate for $1,300.00. I have yet to find a place anywhere that can get close to that price. And I don't have to drive over hill and dale to get it. The guy is only 15 minutes from my shop.

PLM-1
03-30-2005, 12:50 AM
wow..i paid a little more than that for my latest. except it has a wood floor with a 2 ft steel dovetail. otherwise it's the same as yours.

but wait...u built yours didn't you??? :p

olderthandirt
03-30-2005, 01:07 AM
Don't tell anyone but thats why you need a good tongue lock, A stolen trailer can be retitled real easy. :)

PLM-1
03-30-2005, 01:12 AM
Don't tell anyone but thats why you need a good tongue lock, A stolen trailer can be retitled real easy. :)

And how do we know this?? :angel:

olderthandirt
03-30-2005, 01:14 AM
Because I had a trailor stolen :realmad: :realmad:

PLM-1
03-30-2005, 01:16 AM
Because I had a trailor stolen :realmad: :realmad:

Ah...welcome to the club! I got mine back tho...minus the trash the it was filled with! Turned out well...just had to go pick it up across town. Atleast i didn't have a dump fee!

spoolinaround
03-30-2005, 01:16 AM
yup, lost one that way, now everything is removable coupler..... hard to steal a trailer when there is no way to hook up to it :-D

spoolinaround
03-30-2005, 01:18 AM
see the 3 posts above

PLM-1
03-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Watch those saftey chains too! Lock them up around the jack handle...they also like to just chain it up to their truck! Psychos.... :dizzy:

olderthandirt
03-30-2005, 01:28 AM
locks are pretty use less anymore around here, if they want the trailors there using liquid nitrogen I think thats what the cop said, anyway they just put some off that on the locks and they become so brittle that 1 whack with a hammer and they just fall apart.
I like the removable coupler idea, gonna be changing some over this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion

spoolinaround
03-30-2005, 01:48 AM
a buddy of mine that owns a >large< lawn care outfit lost 11 trailers in one night on a sunday, I converted his new ones over to removable couplers and no more problems

PLM-1
03-30-2005, 03:09 AM
a buddy of mine that owns a >large< lawn care outfit lost 11 trailers in one night on a sunday, I converted his new ones over to removable couplers and no more problems

damn...that had to suck! any equipment in/on those trailers?

spoolinaround
03-30-2005, 01:20 PM
no thank god, but it still pisses me off to this day because me and him built 10 out of the 11 because it was a hobby of ours, he needed 11 fast so he went out and bought them despite the $2k stickershock, I told him better get them because we can only build one every 2 days so it would be almost a month before he was back in up 100%

Planter
03-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Ok, I recently bought a trailer off of ebay. The trailer was never registered with the previous owner. When I bought the trailer he gave me the BILL OF ORIGIN which I have since lost. :cry: What do I do now? I cant find the manufacture of the trailers location. It is a 2001 Fox equipment trailer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Go to DMV. They will give you some paperwork to fill out. They will likely have you get the trailer inspected by a policeman (or policewoman, like my daughter). If you have a VIN on it (serial number) they will use that to register it, if not you'll have to pay a few bucks and they will issue you a state made VIN plate to attach. Then they register it.

Best not to loose the original paperwork, but that happens every day, so they are used to dealing with this type of problem. It will likely take you a day of running around to get it done, but that's the cost of doing business.