PDA

View Full Version : Filling in a pool...

bottlefed89
03-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Have a possible customer that wants a bid for several jobs, one of which includes filling in his inground pool. I got pretty detailed with tearout cost, and backfilling, and I'm fine on that. BUT... he said that sounded like too much, how much to just fill it up and leave it??
How dumb would this be?? Seems like a bad idea, but anyone have any insight as to the problems that could arise from this??
thanks
greg

spoolinaround
03-30-2005, 02:04 PM
have a semi-dump back up to the edge and fill it with clay fill dirt, or talk around with a concrete contractor and tell them you need some fill& broken concrete, they will PAY YOU to dump a few loads in the pool then ya just have to cover it with a mound of topsoil

Starman
03-30-2005, 02:13 PM
Be careful about using concrete slabs for filling in a hole like a pool. I guarantee that if the slab pieces are not broken up into small pieces, you'll be back filling in sink holes for years to come...it just won't happen this year! :)

MLI
03-30-2005, 02:22 PM
you have to punch holes in the bottom of the pool to drain future water off.....if you dont...youll have a swamp!

Adamma Landscape Group
04-01-2005, 11:46 PM
What is the home owner going to do on the spot where the pool was?
He sounds cheap. Your method sounds correct. Be careful what you use for the backfill.

YardPro
04-02-2005, 08:41 AM
you have to punch holes in the bottom of the pool to drain future water off.....if you dont...youll have a swamp!

that would be my concern as well.

even with a few holes in the bottom, it will still retain a lot of water.

make sure to drill holes in the sides also. cover with filter fabric to keep the holes from clogging. and drill lots of holes.

Masonman
04-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Punch drainage holes through the bottom of the pool. Break up the top 1-2 foot of the pool structure. If they are small pieces, let them fall in, if not, haul them away. Have entire pool area filled with 2B's. Place geofabric on top of the 2B's before backfilling with some clean fill and topsoil.

YardPro
04-02-2005, 04:07 PM
now that sounds like a good plan.

1bsman
04-02-2005, 08:52 PM
Don't forget to check with the local building dept. If you are in an urban area, they can be strict about the type of fill used. In one town near me, they require a complete concrete removal and disposal. No caving the walls and backfilling allowed. This is followed by backfilling with heavy clay to within 1' of grade and leveled to existing soil line with topsoil.
Check with local excavators as they will probably know local codes for pool removal and are usually willing to provide the backfill because it saves them disposal costs.

Planet Landscaping
04-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Punch many holes with a pick and fill and compact in layers or "lifts" with clean fill. :p

RICHIE K
04-02-2005, 09:14 PM
I KNOW IN MY TOWN YOU HAVE TO GET A PERMIT

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :laugh:

Turfdude
04-02-2005, 11:03 PM
There are a lot of good suggestions here. First, check w/ town construction code official to CYA! Then if it can be filled, definately punch holes in it & line w/ filter fabric. Then fill appropriately w/ compactable material (this should be spec'd by code official be it I-5, I-11, modified 2A, etc.) They will probably want it filled in 6"lifts and may require compaction tests at 1' increments by a geo. engineer. Again Step 1 CYA!!. THe top layer of topsoil should not exceed 6" or so. Good luck.

sunray237
11-15-2005, 11:18 PM
new member and I have a pool I am filling in for a lady.
18x36 vinyl liner, she wants it filled up and is going to plant a garden on it for blue birds.We took the liner out ,punched many,many holes in the bottom and back filled with sandclay compacting as we came up,topped off with good topsoil.
we checked with the county first on codes and were told, we don't care how you fill it in it's your yard.
Then we check with the oldest pool builders in our area on the best method to fill it up. I was originally going to layer gravel in the bottom after I filled it full of holes and then come up with sandclay then topsoil.
They said no gravel it will cause problems down the road.
what do you think of this method and what would be a fair price?
Two days,two men, a 190 bobcat and plate tamper.

Pecker
11-17-2005, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=sunray237]They said no gravel it will cause problems down the road.[QUOTE]
What kinda problems?

Frontier-Lawn
11-18-2005, 01:29 AM
just tell them to move it would be less hasseles

sunray237
11-18-2005, 11:38 PM
They said the block sides would eventually start to collapes.
They said it would not compact properly.