PDA

View Full Version : Big, Huge Clean up!

kemmer
03-30-2005, 06:25 PM
I need some help giving an estimate, i will probably get it. It's a church,(that i dont go to) and it pretty large. Ill have 2 guys working, mabye 3. Im going to dethatch, blow all the debris, edge beds and walkways, and cultivate the beds. This is the biggest job ive ever done so i need some help.

THanks

kemmer
03-30-2005, 06:34 PM

kemmer
03-30-2005, 06:52 PM
o and one other thing, how much to mow weekly, if i get them as an account?

Lawnchoice
03-30-2005, 06:59 PM
To be quite honest with you it would be very hard to give you numbers on the proposal.

You would need to factor in how many feet of edging, the size ( sq. ft ) of lawn area, trimming time, etc.

Maybe you can provide some of that information for a clearer picture.

ksland
03-30-2005, 07:17 PM
These type of questions really get to me now. My price, Joes price, Tom, Dick and Harrys price will not be the same. You are selling hours of work. The answer... How many hours per man (man hours) do you think it will take with the equipment you have. Figure your price per man hour and multipy. Say you bill out at $50 a man hour. You anticipate it will take you and 2 guys 8 hours to complete. That is 24 man hours times $50 an hour. $1200.

The variables are your price per man hour and the estimated time to complete it. The rest is simple.

kemmer
03-30-2005, 07:18 PM
im justing looking for a ball park range. Something that i can base off of. its mainly just the leaf blowing thats going to be time consumming. But i have a little wonder, billygoat, and redmaxs

ksland
03-30-2005, 07:20 PM
Oh sorry, just realized you are only 17.

The sooner you know your numbers, the sooner you will excel. If you don't take the time to figure this stuff out you are just waisting your life in business.

Time yourself on jobs....Time your workers.... Come up with formulas to figure out estimated man hours for everything.

Start today, time every job you do and look at the results. Use these times for future bidding. Its all a crap shoot until you do so.

ksland
03-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Ballpark for Joe could be $200, Fred could be $2000. There is no such thing as a ballpark for this. You are missing the whole point. Even if you are asking how much I would charge, I could not figure even a close estimate without measurements. And even then, your area is different than mine. Your workers may make 50% of what my workers make. Your market may have 200 landscapers and mine may have 2500 foaming at the mouth. Like supply and demand.

I know this isn't what you want to hear... But the answer is, you need to figure this out. I wish I would have listened to this advice 8 years ago when I started.

AL Inc
03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Ksland is right, estimate it based on your numbers. Just going by mistakes I've made in the past, definitely add some extra time in the bid for unforeseen stuff. From the looks of some of the beds and under the shrubs, you've got a LOT of debris to take out of there. I took on a new client years ago, did a quick estimate for a spring clean-up, not realizing the previous guy had just blown everything into the beds. A half day job (I thought) turned into an all day project. Lost my azz on that one...

BTW, are you paying for disposal? Those leaves have been sitting all winter and will be heavy.

kemmer
03-30-2005, 07:34 PM
Yes, i plan on removing the leaves myself. I found a place near me that im going to check out tomorrow

rdran5
03-30-2005, 08:09 PM
2200.00 for the initial cleanup, 160.00 plus or minus for weekly mow edge and blow. Add mulch, annuals and bush trimming to round it up to around 3,000.00
That is my best GUESS, with the info you provided

kemmer
03-31-2005, 07:51 PM
Ya i was thinking $160 to cut, but im thinking $740 for the clean up.

yrdandgardenhandyman
03-31-2005, 08:09 PM
Call another LCO and go by his price. :p
Then use it as a learning experience.

How many cleanups have you done in your career? Looks like lots of bushes and trees to work around on the cleanup. Are you going to do the hedge trimming too?

rclay11541
03-31-2005, 08:21 PM
IF i was you i would use this equation:

Part 1:
Your hrs * x$ per hour = A
Employee hrs X combined hrly wage = B
Material Costs = C
A+B+C add sales taxes to that and youve got your price.

May i make a suggestion to on this clean up?

1 Do any pruning

2 Blow out all the leaves and crap onto the lawn and then use a mower to bag it.

3 Dethach the lawn and use the mower to bag that

4 Use a bed edger (rent one if you have to) on all the beds, have employees picking up the edgings.

just tryin to help speed of completion is important in my equation.

ed2hess
03-31-2005, 08:50 PM
Don"t labor over this very long, I NEVER got a job from a church bid. Once they know what your estimate is they will find someone in the church to do the work, at a lower price. But maybe you got the inside track?

crawdad
03-31-2005, 09:19 PM
im justing looking for a ball park range. Something that i can base off of. its mainly just the leaf blowing thats going to be time consumming. But i have a little wonder, billygoat, and redmaxs

So, is it a ballpark, or a church? People ask me for a ballpark figure, I say, show me the ballpark, and i'll give you a price.