PDA

View Full Version : install bidding

rmartin
03-30-2005, 09:37 PM
I am bidding on a installation contract of over $4500.00 (my price)worth of plantings (small trees, shrubs, flowers)etc. This is my biggest one time job. On a job this big, how do you guys price your quote. There is removal of existing plants, but not much. The app. of mulch, about 2 yards of loam, a little grass seed, and a large flower bed.
Do you just charge a % over the cost of your supplies needed, to cover the labor.

desertrat
03-31-2005, 12:39 AM
Add up all of your costs, material, labor, driving, overhead, and decide what you need to make. I have some ball park figures for some stuff, but every job is different. You need to come up with a TOTAL cost of doing the job and add your profit. It doesn't always work, but I try to make material x 3, meaning that I if material is $5000, labor and other costs are $5000, I will make $5000, total job being $15,000. I don't bid on that figure, rather I look back at the job and if it worked out that way I feel good, but if I spent 3 weeks on the job it is not good. Point is, there is no formula to go by. If I did that in 3 days I feel great. I figure costs at a almost worst case, and if it goes well I profit more. On a big job I take every part and price it as if it was separate, come up with a total and reduce from there. If I am doing a $20,000 job and part of it is to remove a tree with a 6" trunk, I may sort of throw that in, rather than charge around $150 to remove it. I get my $150 but I don't show it in the estimate. You need to figure out how much time it will take to do the job with the labor you have, and then decide what you want to make, and stay competitive or sell yourself on being better. Every area, situation, and job is different, you need to figure it for yourself. The fact is, you should charge as much as you can and still get the job. I would like to say I charge a set rate, but I don't. I try to get as much as I can for every job. If the people are a Pita, I charge for it. For example, I am starting a job in the morning, where the lady wants to be there to help decide where the plants go, after we decided where they all should go. I don't get mad, I just charge accordingly. I have no problem running around moving plants all day with her when the money is right. She thinks I am her little B##ch, but I charge for every minute. She just doesn't know it.

Adamma Landscape Group
04-01-2005, 11:14 PM
Desertrat,
I agree with you. You are an expert. That is the way to go. It is business not personal. :blob3:

Coffeecraver
04-02-2005, 07:31 AM
A 7 dollar plant is provided and installed for 17.50

A transplanted plant = I determine the type plant and find a value at
wholesale multiplty that value x 2.5 and then divide by 3 to get the cost
of transplanting.Therefore the 7 dollar plant is installed for 5.83.

:)

YardPro
04-02-2005, 08:38 AM
A 7 dollar plant is provided and installed for 17.50

A transplanted plant = I determine the type plant and find a value at
wholesale multiplty that value x 2.5 and then divide by 3 to get the cost
of transplanting.Therefore the 7 dollar plant is installed for 5.83.

:)

i agree with desertrat. that's how we do it.

as a rule of thumb we get $25.00 for an 8$ plant.

scraper69
04-03-2005, 09:35 AM
For a $200 tree - you charge $600. ???

Coffeecraver
04-03-2005, 10:16 AM
I cannot go the three times in my market.

I do agree with the PITA charge I use it whenever it is needed.