PDA

View Full Version : Paver steps

scraper69
03-31-2005, 09:24 AM
just got to bid on a paver patio today, however the rise from ground grade to doorwall is 30" and the client doent want a raised patio. What are your suggestions for step set up. 3 steps ? tricky Thank for any input.

scraper69
03-31-2005, 09:56 PM
any suggestions for steps?

AGLA
03-31-2005, 10:55 PM
Don't go any higher than an 8" riser.

You can use any segmented retaining wall block for risers and then use either capping blocks or the same pavers as the patio for treads.

.... there is always wood.

sheshovel
04-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Pressure treated landscape timbers or logs or railroad ties or whatever tickles your fancy.As long as the material can handle the weather,and is easy to work with and is strong and safe.
Be sure to get your tread right there is specks for that.And like ALGA said the same pavers your useing for the patio for the treads.

TerraVenture
04-01-2005, 01:14 PM
I would check with your local building department about those steps. You are in a bit of a gray area because the steps will be accessing the house and the elevation change is over 18" you might need a railing. Each town and city is different. If you do need a railing, it would be much easier to use wood for the steps.

scraper69
04-01-2005, 09:24 PM
how would wood look on a paver patio.. kinda tacky>? you can put a railing on paver patio (bolt to house brick)? this is tricky.

kootoomootoo
04-01-2005, 10:51 PM
just got to bid on a paver patio today, however the rise from ground grade to doorwall is 30" and the client doent want a raised patio. What are your suggestions for step set up. 3 steps ? tricky Thank for any input.

4X 6in risers with 12in treads.... 24in
1in for drainage away from house.... 25in
5in step into house

some guys have the top step almost flush with door some have it step down.
Probably want some sort of landing depending on room.
Typically use versalok 6in x 8in or 6in x 16in for riser and 12in caps or any pavers for tread.

sheshovel
04-02-2005, 12:47 AM
how would wood look on a paver patio.. kinda tacky>? you can put a railing on paver patio (bolt to house brick)? this is tricky.

What I ment was to do the sides of the steps and use the pavers for inside the wood sides ..Otherwize the wood holds the pavers in the treads......I thought you asked suggestions and ideas..if you don't like them you don't have to use them,and I don't have to give them either

scraper69
04-02-2005, 03:07 PM
calm down sheshovel... no offense and i appreciate your input.
But i like and am probably going to use the same method koomootoo offered. It would look the best and not be to burdensome to build. A railing will be needed (even if it werent code- (usually anything over two steps gets a railing) That i will leave up to the customer to install and decide upon. A metal or wood railing can be lag bolted to house and brick if needed.?
Thanks again all

AGLA
04-02-2005, 08:14 PM
I was talking about a "normal" set of wooden steps with stringers like a carpenter would do, not tie steps. Not that the other is wrong, just clarifying what I meant.

D Felix
04-03-2005, 10:56 AM
There are ways to "avoid" railing requirements... The most common is probably radius stairs, where each riser is a half circle (or whatever the house geometry dictates in that location. If railings are still needed, they can be attached to the house...

Oh, BTW, as much as I personally don't like it, there is a hardscaping forum for these questions in the future...

Dan

scraper69
04-04-2005, 09:29 PM
thanks felix, i dont get enough response in the haredsacpe forum