PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Mowers

jcoat
05-09-2000, 06:20 PM
I did the &quot;search&quot; and could not find a lot about Hustler mowers. I am currently in the market and have received tons of information from companies regarding their equipment.<br> From what I can tell, the Hustlers are really well made and they appear to be pretty easy to access (deck, motor, hydro, etc.). Can someone enlighten me on whether they are easy to maintain and if they provide a good cut. Also, they have the H-Bar steering mechanism. How well does that hold-up?<br> I'm looking for a walk-behind, hydro, 36-37&quot;.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
05-09-2000, 06:36 PM
I had a Hustler 400 with the high lift back vac (72&quot; deck) I sold it years ago cause the only dealer in the area stopped selling and fixing them. It cost about $18,000 in 1985 when I got it. Worked great for clean ups you could dump the 15 bushel hopper into a pick up or small dump. Now days they have smaller mowers doing the same thing and take up less space on the trailer. They also cost less about $10,000 complete. I would check into a Bobcat, Scag or Lazer ZTR etc. I wish they were out years ago I could have had two for the price of one and less rider down time<br>Good Luck :)<br>Travis<br>AG&G Lawn Maintenance <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance
05-09-2000, 06:48 PM
I've seen the walkbeheinds but haven't used one yet. I guess I'm going to have to demo one. Like I said before the mower I had was good but it became hard to get parts and service for it. Do your homework find out what would be best for your business. I know i don't mind paying more for parts and service if the mowers a real good one. Now a days in all depends on your needs and where you live. You sure don't want to get a mower you have to travel 20 miles to get parts or fixed. I would also advise you to demo one.<br>Good Luck :)<br>Travis <br>AG&G Lawn Maintenance

mowerconsultant
05-09-2000, 08:45 PM
the hustler walk behinds are new to the market as of last fall<br>i have used and sold a few of them, you wont find a heavier built unit out there, and the price is good too..<br>as far as the h-bar steering it has been out on the shortcut unit for alomost 3 years now, no problems that i have seen.<br>it is a great steering sytem to use and learn on.<br>if you have a local dealer selling you this mower i dont think you will have any problems with service or parts in the future<br>hustler has been around since the early 60's, and they will be there in the future !!<p>http://www.excelhustler.com

jcoat
05-09-2000, 11:40 PM
I have a dealer &lt;10 miles from my home. I'm going to check them out. As far as the deck build, Hustler's info. pack has a deck comparison against an &quot;industry&quot; leader. It appears to be heavier and better reinforced. Again, thanks for the replies.

Barkleymut
05-10-2000, 12:20 AM
If you plan to use the Hustler on hills much then you may want to demo this walkbehind with the funky steering system first. It just doesn't seem like it would be easy to muscle around on hills like a mower with pistol grips is.

columbiaplower
05-10-2000, 08:43 PM
i heard that u cant use a velke/sulky on them

mowerconsultant
05-11-2000, 06:58 AM
hustler makes a single wheel sit down sulky for this unit<br>aftermarket stand up sulky's will work, but you would need one that has a solid mount, like the bull rider sulky, or like the lesco/mtd style.

columbiaplower
05-11-2000, 07:31 AM
my friend bought one and said u could only put their sit down on it

mowerconsultant
05-11-2000, 06:42 PM
i have sold a few of the hustler walk behinds, and i have one customer that put a stand up sulky on his 48&quot; unit, he said it works excellent. the unit he put on was called a bull rider....<br>i dont have any info on this brand, but i do know it is a &quot;stiff arm&quot; mounted unit