PDA

View Full Version : Whats happening to the shrubs?

jonspolaris
03-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Almost every home in our development has similar landscaping. They all have small juniper shrub that is shaped like a cone. late in the winter I noticed that most, if not all, have large patches of "dead" areas. It looks like the needles are very red. They dont pull off any easier that the living ones. Could it be dryness, or spider mites? All the plants have been in at least 6-7 years. We are in SE michigan. I dident think spider mits would be on them in the winter. Its now almost april, and they all still have the same look.

any help?

gil
03-31-2005, 03:13 PM
I have seen the same symptoms here in the North Shore in MA. I see a lot of white pines with an orange color needles. I believe the needles are alive because they are not dry at all. I am also interested in more opinions about this matter.
gil

Coffeecraver
03-31-2005, 08:59 PM
New construction I bet they have wet feet.

Lack of oxygen could be the cause.

NickN
03-31-2005, 09:09 PM
Are you sure they aren't bald cypress?Where on the lot are they located?Near any structure or are they used for privacy?

jonspolaris
03-31-2005, 10:27 PM
They are near the buildings, say with in 3 ft. the are not that new, 6-8 years old. All of them have been well established. Soil is 3-4 of topsoil then sand. What is odd is that it is so many in the development. They are not Bald cypress

thanks

AGLA
03-31-2005, 10:57 PM
Dwarf Alberta Spruce?

urbanlandscape
04-01-2005, 01:06 AM
I'm in Michigan, too, so I know how winter here has been. I think wet feet is the right idea. Last winter we had lots of windburn damage, which happened due to a dry fall and winter and lots of wind during the winter. These conditions essentially dehydrate the plant. This winter wasn't that windy or dry so I suspect it was the fact that we had moderate amounts of snow followed by short 1-2 day thaws. The soil held a lot of water this winter. Drainage is actually a very crucial issue in overwintering plants. In many cases, more important than how cold it gets. New construction (within the last 10-15 years) tends to have less topsoil and more compaction, excaberating the drainage problem.
It is very unlikely that the plants in question are bald cypress. They are really only seen in our area in yards with owners who garden enthusiastically. They aren't planted commercially on a regular basis. I'm guessing they are junipers or dwarf Alberta spruce.

urbanlandscape
04-01-2005, 01:07 AM
Hey AGLA, we must have been posting at the same time!

sheshovel
04-01-2005, 02:30 AM
HUMMMMM got pics??

jonspolaris
04-01-2005, 08:24 AM
They could be dwarf alberta spruce. I dont have any way to post pics, Unless I can send them to someone and they can post them.

So will this problem fix itself?

lush&green
04-01-2005, 08:27 AM
I am thinking Dwf Albertas too. They probally have "wind burn" from being in an open exposed area. I have seen lots burned here. Always a big problem. I also have a lot of damage to any of the evergreens that are yellow in color. Even thought they were sprayed with transfilm.

sheshovel
04-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Spider mites are usually only active in summer.But to find out if they have spider mites Put a piece of white paper under the tree or a branch and give it a shake.The mites will fall and be visible on the paper.I spray or mist Abies and Spruce on and off in summer to clean off foliage from dust and dirt and they like it alot it helps with mites and keeps them nice.

jonspolaris
04-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Thanks,

If its wind burn will in get better with time?