PDA

View Full Version : Is 2-speed option worth it on a skidsteer?

TerraFirma Excavating
03-31-2005, 09:29 PM
I am looking at purchasing a larger machine. Currently looking at a Bobcat S300 and a Cat 268B. I will have to special order in either machine because of the options I want. I have the opportunity to order the 2 speed option. In a nutshell, it will increase the top speed from 7 MPH to 11-12 MPH. It's approximately a $1,800 add-on to either machine. I can't forsee using it on the jobsite, but it could be nice if I need to cross large areas or for multiple snowplowing in one neighborhood / subdivision.

Any feedback, either positive or negative will be appreciated. I have tried the Cat 2-speed option on a 246 machine. I seemed kindof "squirrelly" running at the higher speed, but it could have been just me getting used to the Cat hand controls. I haven't tried it in the Bobcat machine yet. The Cat salesman did tell me that he accidently activated the high speed when he hit a bump and caused the machine to "wheelie". The Cat dealer said he has only sold 3 machines with the 2-speed option. The Bobcat dealer only thought he sold 1 machine with this option.

Randy Scott
04-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Worth every penny and then some.

We have an S250 Bobcat. Good machine, love the 2-speed. It comes in more handy than you may think. Obviously not moving material across a lawn, but it is nice when moving around a job-site.

The most beneficial aspect to us is for snowplowing. Our machine has a 9 foot blade on it and it pushes like a mofo. Second gear works better than low gear because it is a higher ratio and actually gives better traction to get the machine moving because there is less torque to the wheels. Low gear spins almost instantaneously as compared to starting and moving in second. Will NEVER have another machine without it. You will sooner or later have job-sites that are big and it will come in handy.

Get it, you won't be sorry.

Tigerotor77W
04-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Hey 500k, first of all, congrats on deciding to go bigger. (Go Bobcat, hehe...)

At any rate, I'd second Randy's idea. You do a LOT of plowing in the winter if I recall from other posts, and while I don't remember whether you use a snow blade or just a bucket, two speed will help quite a bit when you're plowing (more so for blade than for bucket). Another question to ask yourself is whether you find yourself commuting some distance -- either from loading to dumping or traveling from one jobsite to the next.

NNJLandman
04-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Def. worth the money, we run a mustang 2109 at work, we have the high and low gear/speed option on it, I ran it for winter and its awesome. Throw a 10ft. pusher on her put her in low for a large amount of snow then when its time to cleanup piles throw it in high so you can run around the lot fast. Really is a big difference really does help. Good for landscape too...ya go out on a job thats real muddy or has sh**y terrain put it in low gear or if your just unloading pallets into a driveway off a trailer you can put it in high gear. Def a good option to have.

Jeff

Tigerotor77W
04-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Hey NNJ, how do you like the 2109? Does it really have a ton of power?

NNJLandman
04-02-2005, 12:50 AM
I absolutely love the 2109, great machine, can lift pallets of block in the summer without a struggle, then come winter pile snow with a 10 ft. pusher as high as tractor trailers maybe 18-20 ft. in the air, amazing machine. It works great in any terrain, tons of power, with the low and high gears forget it, nothing can stop this machine. If you have any questions about it let me know.

Jeff

Tigerotor77W
04-02-2005, 10:31 AM
Cool, thanks. I'll PM you if anything particular comes up.

ksss
04-03-2005, 01:46 AM
Two speed is well worth the money. That is the primary reason I am trading my 70XT is to get the two speed in the 440. The CASE machines offer ride control. That combined with the two speed allow me to use the higher speed on the job site moving dirt. With the 95XT, and the larger 84" bucket I can move a phenomenal amount of dirt without spilling it out of the bucket or killing myself over the bumps. Two speed without ride control is almost useless except on roads or smooth job sites (lots of those around).

TerraFirma Excavating
04-03-2005, 01:43 PM
I tried to look at Case's website for information on their Ride Control system, but couldn't find anything. Not real impressed by the layout of their website. The 465 does look like a hulk of a machine. Is the Ride Control basically an accumulator system which takes the shock to the cylinders? I may have to look at some Case machines.

hoyboy
04-03-2005, 04:44 PM
I used to have 2 machines without 2 speed. Now I have 6 with all 2 speed. Nuff said

Tigerotor77W
04-03-2005, 04:44 PM
FYI, the 465 is essentially a Tier-II version of the old 95XT. Tremendously powerful machine, as it turns out, and very capable. Bobcat offered ride control on their machines for a while (http://www.bobcat.com/worksaver/03fall/newride.html), but I haven't heard anything of it. For all I know, it might have disappeared off the face of the earth.

ksss
04-04-2005, 12:38 AM
It is an accumulator system. It is very simple in design, but works amazingly well. On the older XT's you hold in a button while you want the ride control activated. On the 400 series it is a trigger switch. I will promise that after running a machine with ride control for one day you'd never get one without it.

Scag48
04-04-2005, 02:55 AM
How exactly does that ride control work? What does it cushion? I'm curious about this now...

Tigerotor77W
04-04-2005, 12:49 PM
keery is probably a better source for this information, but basically the ride control acts as a "suspension" element in the lift cylinders. When you hit a bump, I would assume, the boom arms should go up or down to react to the bump. The accumulator, I believe, absorbs the impact by allowing the cylinder to move slightly (either in or out). That's just my guess.

ksss
04-04-2005, 09:40 PM
That is my understanding. Also thanks for the correction on Inveco/Iveco Bobcat 250.

UNISCAPER
04-16-2005, 09:23 PM
WE have no use for a 2 speed in venues that we work, and having plowed alot of snow in another life time, the 2 speed is well worth it, however, a word of caution here. Make sure your operators are well trained and take it out of high when they are lugging. You scatter a tranny in a two speed machine and it is going to cost you 7-9K at minimum, so there goes all that time you saved.