PDA

View Full Version : Excited about mulch!

bushtrimmer
03-31-2005, 10:35 PM
Finally bought a mulch blower this year. WOW what a difference.
Bought the BB302 Finn model. A tow behind unit that you can either bobcat a yard at a time into or pitchfork from the truck into the blower. We run two trucks for mulch, one holds 8 yards, the other 12. Pitchfork it into the blower and have been spreading 50+ yards a day. Not bad for a four man crew and they even stay clean (added bonus).

I used to say I'd rather eat **** than mulch, no more.

Atlantic Lawn
04-01-2005, 07:51 AM
I was always taught that the more times you touch material ie. mulch,rock, fert etc. the less money you make when you finally put them to their end use. I have considered buying a blow in mulch set up, we do large developments and much of our work has been in large beds and medians and other large areas spread over several miles. We use a tractor to load onto 18 and 22 ft trailers and then shovel it directly on the medians or into wheelbarrows and then on the beds.If I used a blower I would have to use and additional truck to tow the blower and stage it next to the hopper on the blower. How do you handle the feeding process ? How far can your hose move the mulch effectively? What kind of trucks are you using ? Thanks

YardPro
04-01-2005, 08:20 AM
i am sure you are really happy with the blower, but we can install 80 yards a day on large commercial properties with a dingo me and three guys with wheelbarrows, and one truck.

I would try and find a more efficent way of loading the blower.

bushtrimmer
04-01-2005, 08:25 PM
I was always taught that the more times you touch material ie. mulch,rock, fert etc. the less money you make when you finally put them to their end use. I have considered buying a blow in mulch set up, we do large developments and much of our work has been in large beds and medians and other large areas spread over several miles. We use a tractor to load onto 18 and 22 ft trailers and then shovel it directly on the medians or into wheelbarrows and then on the beds.If I used a blower I would have to use and additional truck to tow the blower and stage it next to the hopper on the blower. How do you handle the feeding process ? How far can your hose move the mulch effectively? What kind of trucks are you using ? Thanks

There is a chute that goes from the truck to the walking floor of the blower and one guy pitchforks it in there, he can keep up with normal properties. Supposedly the hose will blow 200', we only have 150' and usually just using a 100' section. International dump will hold 12 yards and GMC 3500HD will hold 8 yards.

bushtrimmer
04-01-2005, 08:31 PM
i am sure you are really happy with the blower, but we can install 80 yards a day on large commercial properties with a dingo me and three guys with wheelbarrows, and one truck.

I would try and find a more efficent way of loading the blower.

That's great production, we couldn't do that day in and day out under the most ideal conditions. We have a Dingo, Bobcats, and wheelbarrows but couldn't keep up with that under average landscape conditions.

Tony Clifton
04-02-2005, 11:16 AM
speaking of mulch and blowers, has anyone used a Mulch Mule or know the price range for these things?

Tony Clifton
04-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Nevermind, I just went to their website, the basic machine is 46,000 with none of the options or attachments. I was thinking maybe 10-15,000 for the entire setup.

Royalslover
04-03-2005, 12:38 AM
I was at the farm last week to see my couins and I was telling him about my mulch problem. He was like Dude, you need a feeder wagon. He checked with the local dealer and he had a good used one for $2000. It is a two wheeled wagon that unloads feed with an apron chain and an unloading chute. It would work perfect for mulch.

spoolinaround
04-03-2005, 01:20 AM
I was at the farm last week to see my couins and I was telling him about my mulch problem. He was like Dude, you need a feeder wagon. He checked with the local dealer and he had a good used one for $2000. It is a two wheeled wagon that unloads feed with an apron chain and an unloading chute. It would work perfect for mulch.
yea but I dont think it will lay down enough volume to work effectively