PDA

View Full Version : Wacker 2540

mbella
03-31-2005, 10:13 PM
Anybody own one? I picked ours up yesterday and I am wondering how others like it.

kris
04-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Nope Mike don't own one ... it's a forward- reverse right?

Off topic- the MT55 arrived the other day..what a little beast! :)

neversatisfiedj
04-01-2005, 12:32 PM
I want a forward / reverse model - dont want to spend that right now though. But I'm sure I'll regret it in tight spots.

mbella
04-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Kris, yes, it has reverse.

jwholden
12-04-2005, 07:36 PM
How are you making out with your 2540?

I have a wacker non reversible and am getting sick of compacting in 2" lifts. I find myself renting a Stone reversible 8500 lbs for most jobs.

How deep a lift can you compact with the 2540?

Thanks,

John

Green-Pro
12-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Anybody own one? I picked ours up yesterday and I am wondering how others like it.

Don't know about the wacker but as far as having forward and reverse you surely won't regret spending the extra for that. We bought a reversible from the Northern Tool catalog, has the Honda engine, weighs about 330#, supposed to compact to a depth of 19.5 " We used the snot out of it near the end of the season, glad I never contemplated going without reverse.

YardPro
12-05-2005, 09:01 PM
19" ... i don't think so... look at the compaction force.. a 4K unit is only good for 3" lifts.

Green-Pro
12-05-2005, 10:44 PM
19" ... i don't think so... look at the compaction force.. a 4K unit is only good for 3" lifts.

I didn't say I compact 19" at a time, this is borrowed from the machine description. I fully understand the idea of compacting in 3" lifts.
Here is the link that offers the machine description, I'm not at all suggesting that I believe this is a good practice, I was merely trying to point out how much punch this particular machine packs. I've used it a great deal end of summer and throughout the fall and am sold on it. I spoke with several friends that are local longtime scapers and kind of went by the rule of thumb that if it takes two guys to pick it up you will get good compaction with it. Again wasn't suggesting it would be a good idea to pack 19" sorry if that wasn't clear :waving:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200314474&R=200314474

P.S. you will notice from the link in the description the compactor has 6856lbs/force

YardPro
12-06-2005, 04:37 AM
at 6k you can do 4" lifts

a rule of thumb if for every 1K compaction force you can effectively compact .75 inches

Green-Pro
12-06-2005, 08:15 AM
at 6k you can do 4" lifts

a rule of thumb if for every 1K compaction force you can effectively compact .75 inches

I Still only pack in 3" lifts, only wanted the bigger compacter to ensure quick, solid compaction.

mbella
12-06-2005, 08:33 AM
John, sorry for the delay, I've been busy with snow. Anyway, the 2540 puts out 5600lbs centrifugal force. We compact in three or four inch lifts, depending on the application.

Henry
12-06-2005, 09:30 AM
I picked up a used 2950 off ebay in the beginning of the season, well worth the $1200 I paid for it.

jwholden
12-08-2005, 07:40 PM
MB,

Thanks for the info.

I'll be looking hard at reversible plates next year, assuming I have enough work lined up to justify the expense.

GreenMonster
12-08-2005, 09:04 PM

ahhh.... reverse :) Don't have one Mike, but it's on my wish list. I do have a Wacker plate with Honda engine, no reverse. Been bullet-proof for 3 years now. Would like something a little bigger for the open patios and walks though. Something that will compact more than 2-3" at a time.

I just picked up a Wacker 1035 cut-off too. A little heavy, but nice saw.

I kinda like the Wacker stuff.

Hey Kris, when you get a little down time this winter, give us a run down and review on the MT. Not sure when, but I'm thinking about one.

kris
12-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey Kris, when you get a little down time this winter, give us a run down and review on the MT. Not sure when, but I'm thinking about one.

What would you like to know? ... We have had a couple issues with the mt50 cooling fan ... We also have an mt55....much nicer

GreenMonster
12-10-2005, 05:34 PM
What would you like to know? ... We have had a couple issues with the mt50 cooling fan ... We also have an mt55....much nicer

everything..... what you're using for, what kind of attachments you're using, how is the power? How much will it pick up (real world)? How are the controls? Do you find that ride-on platform makes the machine kinda long? etc etc etc

kris
12-11-2005, 11:36 AM
We use it in tight access jobs where our full size machines cant go. The only attachment we have are tooth and smooth bucket. Currently making a tree scoop for digging caliper trees holes. There are plenty of attachments that you can get and we may add or make our own.

It has a a 23.5-hp, liquid-cooled Kubota diesel engine so it is fairly powerful and we have no problem digging for patios etc. The controls are good ...forward reverse and turning with one hand and bucket/arm control with the other. We have a couple 2 ton trucks with fairly low sides that it can load with spoils.

As far as lifting ...well when we first got it I had 3 guys stand in the bucket and it lifted them no problem..lol really, probably the heaviest we lift is a caliper tree with 36' root ball...no problem at all. Actually in the shop the other day I used it for lifting an engine out of our 863, just a chain on the bucket ...no problem ,but when I went to put it back in I tried to use our tree boom attachment for longer reach and it was nose heavy.

Hardly ever get into a spot where it is too long but the platform comes off in seconds if need be... Don't really know what else to say...Im more of a jump on and try it for yourself kind of guy.

YardPro
12-11-2005, 06:24 PM
i demo's the mt 52 as well as all the other mfgs.

the mt 52 was about 1000lbs lifting a 4X4 pallet with flat stone... we used a scale to weigh the tip weight of each machine....

if u keep the load close to the machine they will all lift about 1500lbs..
these machines are very sensitive to how close the weight is to the machine....

the mt 52 had WAY too much ground PSI.....almost 2X all the other brands...
and only an 18hp kubota..

i hear the 55 is way better..

GreenMonster
12-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks Kris & YardPro

Good info. I'm just looking for some firsthand feedback from guys that have used them. Don't worry, Kris -- I'll definately try before I buy :)

1500lbs is pretty impressive for a machine that small.

36" wide is nice on the 52, but unfortunately the motor is smaller, and I had also noticed the higher ground psi