PDA

View Full Version : trailer weight and balence

fga
04-01-2005, 09:39 AM
i have a 6x12 enclosed trailer. the GVW is like 3000. after all is said and done, i cannot lift the tounge at all, to help assist the hook up.
might sound like a stupid question, but can you lift you trailer tounge? i am not sure if am putting too much weight on the front, or if it is common to not be able to be able to lift it. previous employers trailers i have worked out of on the past were smaller, 5x8, 7x8, and i was able to lift up the front to hook up.

i just want to be safe. there is no weigh station around here.

grass_cuttin_fool
04-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Im not sure Adam, I think the tongue weight needs to be at least 10% of the payload but not to exceed 500 pounds, not sure on thoose facts but I think im in the ball park. A bathroom scale goes to 300, could use that to measure the tongue weight

Toy2
04-01-2005, 09:44 AM
On my 6 by 12 I have had to put a small 2x4 block under the pad when I drop it, It gives it just the right height when I lift it to match the ball on the truck, before I couldn't make it work and no way lift the trailer...not sure if this helps or not...

Randy Scott
04-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Back in the day I had a 6x12 enclosed for my motocross bikes. I'm not the biggest guy, but I'm not the smallest either, and it about blew my spine out trying to lift the tongue on it. That size trailer is starting to get beyond the point of being able to lift by hand. I would suggest putting a wheel on the jack leg. Or get better at backing up! :D We no longer own any trailers that can handle wheels on the jacks or can even be thought of moving by hand. My help is amazed that 9 out of 10 times I can back right under the tongue on the first try. Of course, I probably have done it 2 million times.

Of course that 10th out of 10 try takes like 7 times to finally get it under it, like I'm on crack that day or something.

fga
04-01-2005, 10:00 AM
its not hard to hook up really. the trailer came with 2 jacks in the front. one normal, and the other is the swing away withthe wheel. i can push it left and right pretty easy, and the weight clips it right on the ball.

i was just concerned about the front end weight being too much for the class 3 hitch.
in the past, i had bumper mount ball and it actually broke the bumper in half. luckily i was only going 20 mph... eversince then, i have nightmares about that very issue. i would never again use a bumper mopunt unless the weight was rediculously light. scary, and very embarassing to block traffic like that, and people cursing you out. :realmad:

Randy, my back is killing me :dizzy:

fga
04-01-2005, 10:02 AM
Im not sure Adam, I think the tongue weight needs to be at least 10% of the payload but not to exceed 500 pounds, not sure on thoose facts but I think im in the ball park. A bathroom scale goes to 300, could use that to measure the tongue weight
i threw out all my scales awhile ago... i think it was around thanksgiving :)